Photos Kepharts...They just Work

Here's a comparison photo taken a year ago of the @Ethan Becker Colclesser Kephart and Mike McCarter Mike McCarter 's Kephart replica with their respective sheaths. It was one of Mike's first ones. He made a number of detail changes in his first dozen and said he was happy by the fifth knife. Mine is one of the last of the first dozen. I believe Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo 's is also. The last ones are pretty well dialed in. It's the truest Colclesser Kephart replica done so far. Mike did his homework. The man is a scholar.

bcfBrMj.jpg

Last edited:
Well, since you chose to send me a highly agitated and insulting PM, I take it the answer to my question is a 'no.'

You interpreted incorrectly and disingenuously. If you don't like Mike's replica you can't be pleased. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
I am in shock and awe...
I received my other custom Kephart today and if I hadn't had to of worked, you would of seen some pics. Never before has a knife blown my mind...this one has.
You managed to sway me; as I mentioned earlier, I was contemplating buying a Kephart from ML (and I still think they are awesome looking knives in their own right) but now I want one of McCarters Kepharts. I blame you.

At your initial mention of McCarters Kephart I became curious and searched around a bit in the old threads the other day and (at the risk of getting a PM from somebody with the impulse control of a five year old) I noticed that some has lanyard holes and some dont. AFAIK the original didnt have a lanyard hole. I like some knives with and others without a lanyard hole.

https://bladeforums.com/threads/my-kephart-knife-story-and-struggles.1617555/

Does McCarter offer both with and without a lanyard hole - maybe the maker can chime in.
Absolutely beautiful knives BTW.

I notice on your FB page, that you are/were a LEO. Do you offer a military/LEO discount?

Eveled, I have one of these BK62's from Ethan on the way. I wanted to see what all the dang fuss was about. How do you like yours?
I need a BK62 as well. What an excellent offering and not badly priced at all. Looks like one heck of a knife.

Edit: I like Kepharts.

P.S. I'll have to update my user collection once the JK arrives. Will be my first with a convex.

P.P.S. I asked a long time ago in this thread about a Kephart-like folder, and I think the kabar dozer folder is about as close as I've found in the function department, though it's small. Pretty impressed for a budget knife (hopefully I didn't share this earlier and forgot about it).

Last edited:
For those with examples of both. Does the double grind of the original make a difference? I just can’t wrap my head around it. Thickest in the middle is like a dagger. I realize the thick spot on the kephart was higher than the middle.

It seems to me that would be the same as a narrow knife with a flat grind. To me it seems like a full flat grind would be better.

Is it hype? Or noticeable?

The double convex is meant to work like a Spitzer bullet pushing soft material away from the blade. The Granton design attempted to do it in another way.

Last edited:
That was a wise edit.
Out of respect for the excellent thread, Ill refrain from quoting your original post this time. Lets move on.

I know I'm playing the whiner here, having brought up the prior comment from the other person in your dispute as well, but your post is unnecessary and does nothing but to inflate the situation. If your plan is to deescalate it, this is not how it's done.

I know I'm playing the whiner here, having brought up the prior comment from the other person in your dispute as well, but your post is unnecessary and does nothing but to inflate the situation. If your plan is to deescalate it, this is not how it's done.
Hmmm, its not like your post helps deescalate anything.
There is no 'dispute.,' I asked a valid question, which evidently made a forum member fire off an insulting PM, various insulting posts (several which he edited).
Ive decided to ignore the other party in this thread.
Could we stick to the 'lets move on' from my previous post, please?

Sigh, marchone, pls stop sending me PMs.
Move on, fer crying out loud.
I just said, that Id ignore you and you fire off yet another PM elaborating on your previous (now edited) post, that as I was interested in a McCarter, the price had suddenly risen. Dont forget that MODs can read your insulting and edited posts.
You seriously need to learn some impulse control.

This is my last post directed at you in this thread. Ill ignore you and I suggest you do the same

Somebody mentioned the fact of Mike being LEO. Henceforth...Sarge.
Mike makes these knives part-time while he squeezes his work and personal life in there.
Did I ever mention how dang photogentic the ol girl is???

Thank you, Uncle Timbo. I really like that grain on the leather ... does make a nice photo.

Gentlemen, I really appreciate the interest in this project and the feedback. I have spent a great deal of time trying to get it just right. When folks that know knives notice the details, it's worth all the effort.

Another benefit of the convex grind I've heard discussed is the ability to use it as a pivot or fulcrum to adjust the cutting angle, especially when cutting wood.

Regarding the lanyard tube, I've done a few at the buyer's request. Of course, the original Colclesser has 3 pins. I don't think a tube greatly changes the look of the knife but if you need it, it's there. I've personally used two different knives in the woods. One had a tube, one didn't.

I've used both natural walnut and stabilized walnut. The ratio is about 50-50 I'd guess. The natural wood weighs in a little less and closer to the original. The stabilized wood is a little heavier but the knives still balance well. I've used figured wood and straight grain (like the original). I cannot decide which I like better. I've thought about mosaic pins but haven't tried them yet, maybe simpler is better. The only departure from walnut so far is this one I just finished with ironwood burl.

AWHQpNa.jpg

Thanks again!

Please, let's not ruin this thread with some sort of squabbe.

Agreed.

Further squabbling will result in warnings with points.

PMs may be private, but you are expected to refrain from insults, threats, or similar in them, as they are generated using the BF software.

Regarding the lanyard tube, I've done a few at the buyer's request. Of course, the original Colclesser has 3 pins. I don't think a tube greatly changes the look of the knife but if you need it, it's there. I've personally used two different knives in the woods. One had a tube, one didn't.

Thanks for that explanation, Mike. I didn't know how the tube fasteners happened. I'm happy mine is closer to the original in that respect. It was designed as a sheath knife. It even said so in the Colclesser print advertisement. If I wanted something else I would have ordered a different knife from a different maker. As you know I opted for natural wood like the originals. I wouldn't change a thing on it.

In the past I've gone to top craftsmen for clothing, knives, shotguns and a rifle. When I chose them I asked for what they do best; not something else entirely. Unless it was a different kind of project altogether. Or the maker offered choices. Horses for courses.

In this case I wanted a Kephart. In my humble opinion, you are making the best ones. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back