Photos Kepharts...They just Work

I was looking at the National Park website out of curiosity about Shenandoah NP. Both Parks (Smoky Mt NP and Shenandoah) were essentially developed at the same time and authorized by the same Federal legislation with the same justification (proximity to Eastern population centers within a day's drive). The Blue Ridge Parkway (Skyline Drive) right-a-way was the primary focus of the CCC workers at the beginning of the effort and it later expanded until WWII. Both parks had to deal with buying out private land owners and forcing some off their properties (eminent domain). They were paying $6 per acre. Ultimately, I think it was for the better, but I certainly would not have liked being forced off my property by the Feds.

Development of both parks contributed to the development of the Appalachian Trail (AT). I doubt the trail would have happened without the parks.

Thanks for that info rimfire. I'm partial to the Shenandoah National being from WV. I lived down there for one year back in the late 70's. I drove thru White Sulfur Spribgs daily. I was working const. at the time and knew where there was a natural spring flowing out of the side of a mountain. Somebody had "tapped it" with a pipe. Tasty water flowed out of that pipe 24/7.
Ah, I digress. Regarding the handle material, I love walnut. Always have, always will. I'm not a desert iron wood, or bocote kind of guy. I guess I'm kind of plain. All I have is either walnut, micarta or stag.
I really like this one that most have seen. 3V, Peter's heat treat and green canvas Micarta.

Last edited:
My new Dogwood kephart looks similar. Yeah, I splurged a bit at Blade as I always do. I believe the one I bought is pictured earlier (Post #613) with the yellowish micarta handles. I will try to take a nice picture in the next few days for show and tell.

Here in TN, the development of Falls Creek SP was originally done to be a national park. The CCC boys were instrumental in constructing things there prior to WWII. I read that the acreage wasn't enough for a national park. Falls Creek is my favorite SP here in TN. The State is in the process of building a new resort hotel and center at the park. I liked the old one, but it was said that maintenance was becoming too extensive and expensive.

West Virginia has many scenic areas.

I suspect that pipe has signs posted that the water flowing from that pipe is not approved for drinking water now..... progress...?

Last edited:
My new Dogwood kephart looks similar. Yeah, I splurged a bit at Blade as I always do. I believe the one I bought is pictured earlier (Post #613) with the yellowish micarta handles. I will try to take a nice picture in the next few days for show and tell.

Here in TN, the development of Falls Creek SP was originally done to be a national park. The CCC boys were instrumental in constructing things there prior to WWII. I read that the acreage wasn't enough for a national park. Falls Creek is my favorite SP here in TN. The State is in the process of building a new resort hotel and center at the park. I liked the old one, but it was said that maintenance was becoming too extensive and expensive.

West Virginia has many scenic areas.

I suspect that pipe has signs posted that the water flowing from that pipe is not approved for drinking water now..... progress...?
Great history lesson.
When we were told about that particular spring, we were told what country road to turn off on and to go up the hollar about a mile til you come to a wide spot in the road. Spring will be on the left. (Typical hillbilly directions)
That was some of the best, cold, spring water I ever had.

Funny you would say that. I was born in Bluefield, WV. NGKnives is in Bluefield, VA. Heading south on the turnpike, I-77, you run outta one into the other.

I have bought knives from him but we had moved out of the area. Dad took us north. BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY. Just economically depressed.
I was born waay back in a hollar. For real.

I have visited New Graham once. I was doing some work in WV and decided to take the I-77 South route through Bluefield and expressly for visiting New Graham's store on my way home. I really enjoyed that store visit. I ended up getting a couple of different knives and I have ordered others since from him/them. WV economy revolves around coal. Coal is king in WV. Having spent years in Eastern KY, I understand the coal mining economics pretty well. There are many economically depressed areas in WV. I frequently cut through a small portion of WV on trips to PA via I-81 from Winchester VA. The Gauley River areas is quite impressive. I would like to explore more in the state, especially SE of Charleston.

I have visited New Graham once. I was doing some work in WV and decided to take the I-77 South route through Bluefield and expressly for visiting New Graham's store on my way home. I really enjoyed that store visit. I ended up getting a couple of different knives and I have ordered others since from him/them. WV economy revolves around coal. Coal is king in WV. Having spent years in Eastern KY, I understand the coal mining economics pretty well. There are many economically depressed areas in WV. I frequently cut through a small portion of WV on trips to PA via I-81 from Winchester VA. The Gauley River areas is quite impressive. I would like to explore more in the state, especially SE of Charleston.
Ol King Coal. My Dad tried coal mining one time.
I'm thinking the mid 40's. He had to just about lay flat on his back while riding a rail about 1/2 mile into the mine. When he came out that night he quit...and I'm glad he did.
You should do the white water rafting on the Gauley River. It's only bad when the Army Corp of Engineers drain the Summersville Dam down in the fall to maintain the lake for the winter. They release the water just right to make Class 5 and 6 rapids. It's wild. I did the upper and lower Gauley.

Ol King Coal. My Dad tried coal mining one time.
I'm thinking the mid 40's. He had to just about lay flat on his back while riding a rail about 1/2 mile into the mine. When he came out that night he quit...and I'm glad he did.
You should do the white water rafting on the Gauley River. It's only bad when the Army Corp of Engineers drain the Summersville Dam down in the fall to maintain the lake for the winter. They release the water just right to make Class 5 and 6 rapids. It's wild. I did the upper and lower Gauley.
I would have recommended the same if your Dad had any other practical options to support his family. I have worked for years "around the mines" but I was never a frequent visitor underground. It is kind of an interesting world underground and you can become acclimated to it fairly easily. I think I'll pass on the Gauley in terms of whitewater rafting or kayaking. I have little interest to do the Ocoee River in TN and I pass by it every few weeks. I carry my SAK and the Gerber River Shorty on my kayak typically. No Kepharts ride with me.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same and has the same balance and feel. I could take a picture to show both. It blows the BK-62 out of the water due to the handle and steel. But I like both quite a bit. Certainly like this one a lot more than the Humphrey I purchased earlier this year.

Here is a photo of both the Becker BK-62 and Dogwood Kephart handles. The Dogwood handle appears to be thinner, but it is essentially the same when you include the liners. I would need to use a caliper to get in any closer in terms better showing the perspective (or redo the photo carefully). Becker on top. Dogwood on bottom. The Becker is tilted slightly from vertical which makes it look thicker also.
IMG_5120ed.jpg
I looked at the handles pretty closely. I believe he had three left when I looked at them (and three that were there that were already sold). I don't have huge hands and my fingers do not touch wrapped around the micarta handle. So, it's a good fit for me. Dan had one Kephart with thicker wood handles and liners. If I felt the micata handles were too thin, I would have gotten the thicker one. This knife was bought to use. I think the micarta handles will wear better and provide a better grip overall. Dan used 1/8" stock and the steel is not tapered on the handle like the Becker. I don't recall what he said in terms of the heat treat and approximate hardness. But his Kephart is VERY functional and more refined (as you would hope with a custom).

One thing Dan said was "don't ask me to change the handles down the road." Everything is glued and would be a huge pain in the butt to take it apart, clean it up, and re-handle. He suggested that it would probably be better to sell and buy another one. I think I agree with him unless I am totally infatuated with a particular knife. Since I have lots of knives, infatuation is generally not an issue with a single knife.

Last edited:
I had a nice relaxed time at Blade this year. It was more about seeing old friends and making new ones rather than stressing about getting this or that knife.

One of the highlights for me was meeting Mike McCarter since he will be building one of his Kepharts for me in the next batch. I also got to hold one of his Kepharts that was on display at the Knife Rights table. Absolutely fabulous craftsmanship from a fine gentleman. I am glad that I got on the waiting list for one of these.

One of my three purchases at the show was a Kephart from Dan Eastland (aka “Dogwood Dan”.) It is CPM 154 with an interesting handle material called “Forest Floor” micarta that I have never seen before. This steel and handle combination gives the knife a modern low maintenance twist while retaining the original Kephart profile and handle shaping. A very nice knife from another talented craftsman.

I am well set on nice Kepharts now.

Phil

Very interesting handle on the Dogwood. Pretty, but I would hesitate to use a knife with that handle in the woods for fear of loosing it. I am terrible about sitting a knife down in the woods and sometimes walking away only to remember and return a very short time later (minutes). I didn't see that one, so you must have already purchased it prior to my visit to Dan's tables.

Hey guys, sorry I'm just now replying but when I get to working, "those 12's" it doesn't leave me a lot of time to chit-chat.
Those Dogwood Kepharts are beautiful. The handles are equally beautiful but not for me. I wanted and am happy my McCarter came with walnut slabs. I just love walnut, plain and simple. I love the dark, rich, color.
It not walnut, I love canvas Micarta. I love the grippiness as well as the look. I used to be a black Micarta kni da guy but have recently switched to green canvas Micarta.
I guess what it boils down to is whatever blows up your skirt and turns you on.

But, they are both gorgeous and you have to feel proud owning them.

Your McCarter Kephart is quite nice. Glad you're happy, but there is always room for another one down the road a bit.

I got tired of black or dark grey micarta handles which I have on a couple of my Doziers. I almost always move to a more natural material and like desert ironwood quite a bit. I'm quite happy with the canvas micarta on the Dogwood. Maybe if I get another Kephart, I'll go for walnut or some such material like yours. My buying trend is toward flashier handles however (but not too flashy).

Your McCarter Kephart is quite nice. Glad you're happy, but there is always room for another one down the road a bit.

I got tired of black or dark grey micarta handles which I have on a couple of my Doziers. I almost always move to a more natural material and like desert ironwood quite a bit. I'm quite happy with the canvas micarta on the Dogwood. Maybe if I get another Kephart, I'll go for walnut or some such material like yours. My buying trend is toward flashier handles however (but not too flashy).
That's precisely why there's so many colors in the spectrum. I'm more of an earth tone kind of guy. My lounge shirts are Carhartt and Dickey pocket T shirts in gray, black, dark green, dark brown. I drive a darker gray SUV. (Duh) :) I should be more like bikerector bikerector and go for blaze orange. Kind of like you eluded to above. Maybe the first time I lose one in the woods I'll learn.

Did someone say orange?
4f5CxYbl.jpg

ge3q7Zol.jpg

5mZYRiNl.jpg

ZnESogll.jpg

12v3Mh0l.jpg

G7C88jml.jpg

You could always accessorize with orange.
fD4Gn0fl.jpg

ZTbeEHPl.jpg

Closest thing I had to an orange Kephart, but now it's gone.
NsUhytvl.jpg

Back