Kershaw Cryo?

Got it in the mail today and WOW. Such an awesome little knife.

I think I am going to pre-order the Cryo II when I get paid.

:)

3 months to the day from when I ordered I now have in my hand, great EDC knife for me. Well worth the wait.

Looks like mine shipped earlier this morning and it's ETA is Friday. So now I have another reason to be excited for Friday to arrive.

Are the "thumb studs" on the Cryo an alternative way to open the knife, or they actually only blade stops(?), like on the 560? The reason I ask is I read on another forum (a gun one) where someone had removed the thumb studs on his Cryo because he could not open the knife using them so found them "useless".

I find the thumb studs useless. I can open the knife with them but after a few tries my thumb is red as hell.

i can open mine with the thumb studs no prob. they dont operate nearly as well as my minigrip but i dont find them difficult to use. they are unneeded though as the flipper works better, should have left them off imho.

My studs don't contact the handle when open, the way those on my 0551 do.
If they're stops, it's either internal in nature, or I need to send mine back to Kershaw for some serious adjustment.
Plus, if they're an integral operational component, I would expect them to be tightly interference-fit rather than simply threaded.

Does anyone from the Hinderer design team or Kershaw support care to let us know for sure whether the studs are intended as blade stops, or simply an alternative deployment method?

Last edited:
My studs don't contact the handle when open, the way those on my 0551 do.
If they're stops, it's either internal in nature, or I need to send mine back to Kershaw for some serious adjustment.
Plus, if they're an integral operational component, I would expect them to be tightly interference-fit rather than simply threaded.

Does anyone from the Hinderer design team or Kershaw support care to let us know for sure whether the studs are blade stops, or simply an alternative deployment method?

Pretty sure they are thumb studs and not blade stops.

There is a black rounded edge pin in the frame that acts as the blade stop, open and closed.

They give me new appreciation for overseas Kershaw and Hinderer's designs, if they can be this good and inexpensive, image how much better the US made ones are. 0560 most likely next purchase.

I can't wait for the Cryo II and or black version. The 1555TI is a little small for my hands, but very tank like, really like the low rider clip n quad mount.

I am pretty sure they are thumb studs now that it has been pointed out they don't contact the handle. Thanks.

The thumb studs do not serve as a stop pin on the Cryo....oh and there is no "Hinderer design team" Just Hinderer/designer ;)

Rick Hinderer

Mine was waiting when I got home. I think this is a real value at this price point. Is it going to replace my XM's...NO. But what a great little package. At this price point I can't think of anything comparable, and I was trying REAL hard to avoid any Chinese imports.

The Cryo is brilliant. I still love mine. It's the go-to utility blade in the house. The wife loves it now that I made it a manual opener, and we dulled it pretty well last night cutting up some carpet. A few minutes on the sharp maker, and it shaves hair again. It's definitely a great hard use option. The 0560 is a nice bigger brother as well. I'm loving my Hinderer collection.

Back