Kershaw Leek or CRKT M16?

i am looking for a new pocketknife. my priorities are: durable, easy to maintain, opens quickly, strong, and SHARP! i will be using this knife mostly in day to day tasks such as opening boxes, but i'd like a knife i can use in defense as a last last restort (first last resort being a Glock 23).

i am leaning toward the M16, but have reservations about the whole made in taiwan thing. also, i have read that the steel is not properly prepared and doesn't keep an edge like it should?

i'm pretty new to all of this, and i'd appreciate any info on either knife. does the Kershaw's spring wear out? will it stay sharper than the M16? would it be a decent defensive knife?

thanks!

Check out the Random Leek with s30v steel. See my review, and other's comments:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278502

I haven't handled a M16. I do know my Random Leek came extremely sharp out of the box, able to easily push shave hair off my arm. In fact a co-worker of mine, who HAD really hairy arms, was amazed at how he could slide it down his arm and his arm hair would just push away. :)

The CRKT M16 is a lot of fun to flick open. It's addictive. I think it's a solid package for the money, and it's carried by LEO's I know, so that's good enough for me.

I like my M16-13Z and it seems fairly well made. Once you get the hang of using the flipper you will be able to open it pretty quickly. Please note that what appear to be thumb studs aren't really thumb studs ....they are more used for blade stops. Some folks have complained that it's hard to use the thumb stud, well it's because they aren't really for that purpose.

It holds an edge ok, it's not some super steel but it's fair. Probably comparable to the Leek in durability and edge holding ability. I'm not an expert so others will be able to give you a better steal comparison then I can.

For mundane tasks like box opening, I use my Superknife. When the utility blade gets dull I replace it. Generally, I carry two knives anyhow. Superknife for cutting anything and everything and loaning to non-knife people who will abuse it. And something else like my M16, BM 940, Greco Whisper, Schrade LB7, etc, etc.

Mike

M16 is a good knife for it's price. I feel that the heat treat isn't done as well as other manufacturers (ie spyderco) because the edge tends to wear out a bit faster, but that's just subjective opinion.
The leek is also a nice piece. A friend of mine had a Scallion that had a very very sharp edge. However, the torsion bar breaking can be a concern.
Choose whichever you like better. They can't be that wrong.

thanks for all the info!

is the CRKT something i could use in a professional situation? i work in sales, and i don't think my boss would like it if i scared the sheeple customers. the one i'm looking at doesn't seem too bad (it's the spear-point Fire Department version with the bright red handles) but i'm very weapon friendly, and i have not handled the knife myself. is it something you see and think, 'there's a big knife?'

I second the Random Leek. S30V steel is far preferable to 440A or AUS8.

And the Random Leek is about the same size as the M16 Compact EDC series.

How does the opening mechanism on the M16 compare to the speedsafe. I love my Chive because of the opening mechanism. Does the M16 have an assisted opening mechanism...if so, how does it compare?

THX

PAUL

the M16 does not have a spring system, but requires a combination of fingering the stud protruding from the spine of the handle--which acts as a gaurd when the blade is open--to get the blade moving and swinging the blade out the rest of the way. after a few tries, it's really easy (and fun:)).

If you do it right, though, you can get it all the way open just by flicking the flipper. Factors like pivot tension, good lubrication, etc. come into play there, though. On the compact M16s, though, there is little enough momentum needed from using the flipper that once you've overcome the resistance of the detent, it should snap right open.

Have not checked out the Random but have the Rainbow and just love it...assisted opening get's the blade out fast, feels good in the hand, sharp as can be, and it's perdy!

random leek has much better blade steel & will almost certainly look a lot less scary to sheeple than the "dagger" blade of the CRKT.

edited to add: you can improve the grip by putting skateboard or stair tape on the clip & handle for more "grippability," as long as the look of it doesn't bug you.

I love my Leeks(a Black one and a Rainbow one)for utility but they are the last thing I would want to defend myself with. Handle not quite large enough, to slippery, and not enough of a gaurd to keep my hand from slipping forward because of the first two reasons.

I really want to pick up one of those Random Leeks also but the same applies for them(they have the same handles).

what are the practical differences between the steels? why is the random leek's blade better than the 440A and the AUS 8?

i really appreciate the prompt and info-filled replies!

Because the Random Leek's blade is made of S30V, probably one of the best blade steels out there right now. You should read up on the pros and cons of various steels and become familiar with them.

A.G. Russel Steel Guide

As stated above the shape of the leek would probably be more a people pleaser, but the speed safe factor might freak them out...
but if you work behind a counter you can always open it up out of eye site.

If you decide to get a M16, I'd look at the M1 first.
Very heavy duty w/a solid lock up.
By using the mako flipper, I can easily open the blade
all the way, w/a solid thwack into the open position.
It also has the LAWKS safety mech.
I do not own a leek but S30V is a better steel than AUS8.
Though I have no complaints with the AUS8, I can easily keep mine razor sharp without having to sharpen it very often.

well, i have decided to go with a Leek. i stopped by a CRKT dealer tonight and looked at the M16 FD and was not overwhelmed. i was imaging something else, i guess.

plus, i think a Leek will be much more boss-friendly, while not compromising much in usage. i plan to get the black TiNi version. although the Random Leek looks great, i have set a limit at $50 and can't allow myself to exceed it (my first limit was $35!).

thanks for all the input!

For $50 you have a wide choice of knives with better steel than what you're looking at. The leek will probably be fine, but check out the blue handled Spyderco Native, 2nd knife from the top for $44.93:

http://www.newgraham.com/experimental.htm

or if you prefer black:

http://www.newgraham.com/nativeiii1.htm

the VG-10 is great steel. These knives don't have the assisted opening like the Leek though. They might not be as boss friendly as well, but the blue handled versions are less intimidating and look more like a tool than a weapon.

ok, i'm confused. i checked out the AG Russel steel guide, but i'm too new to all this to know what those numbers mean. is there another guide i could look at that would have types of steel and their properties; "AUS 8 - sharp, S30V - strong," that kind of thing?

i just don't know what the steels mean in terms of practical use.

also, if the steel of the Leek is so bad, why does it seem so popular?

i have checked out Spyderco's stuff, and i like it, but i like the Kershaws better (even without the assisted opening). they are more my style, and fit my hand better.

Back