Kershaw Leek or CRKT M16?

This might help:

http://www.knifeart.com/steelfaqbyjo.html

Basically the better steels like s30v have a finer grain to them and can take a sharper edge since the carbides or whatever are smaller. Also the better steels have more resistence to wear, so they will stay sharp longer. So s30v compared to something like 440a will stay sharper longer and take a sharper edge.

The reason they use the lower quality steel in the regular Leek's is to keep the price down. That's why the Random Leek costs more, you're paying for the better steel. You get what you pay for.

Here is a link I found extremely informative when I was first learning about steel. I still return to it often for explainations of the different categories of knife-making steel and a description of the individual steels in them. It's in straightforward English.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=group:rec. knives+insubject:Steel+insubject:FAQ+author:Joe<br%20/>+au<br%20/>thor:Talmadge&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2003&as_maxd=24&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=2003&selm=s28Ka.11148%24Fy6.4368%40sccrnsc03&rnum=1

The above link must be too long to work on this BBS. Just highlight and copy it into the address line of your browser to see the page. Sorry, but I don't know how to make one of those brief "click here" links.

Yeah! How djoo do that? I tried looking at it with the "Edit" function but I was blocked.

I'm a police officer, and I carry an auto version of the M16.

I rotate knives at times, and also carry an auto Magnum.

Both knives have served me well. :D

i broke down and ordered the Random Leek. i was going to get a regular one with TiNi coating, but then i had the thought that 440A probably wasn't any better than what i already have. so i just ordered it quick before i could talk myself up to a Boa!

thanks for all the help. i'll be visiting this board often.

Excellent choice. Your upper limit price for a knife would probably just keep rising anyway. I don't even have an upper limit anymore, but rather a lower limit, meaning I won't buy any knife under a certain price.

I did want to answer one of your previous questions, though:

also, if the steel of the Leek is so bad, why does it seem so popular?

Because it's a pretty darn good knife design. As Wade explained, they used a cheaper steel to keep the price down, which also contributes to the popularity.

Originally posted by The Eye
i broke down and ordered the Random Leek.

Be sure to let us know what you think about it. :) Be sure to play with it awhile and practice opening it with the flipper. It was a bit akward for me at first, being my first knife with a flipper, but now it's a peice of cake. :) Just be careful not to cut yourself because they are really sharp out of the box! :eek:

Back