Keychain carry or Loose in the pocket carry?

I have read some posts by people who prefer to carry small tools like the Vic classic or LM micra loose in the pocket as apposed to on a keychain. I am not yet sure which I prefer and am interested to know what other people like. Some of the smaller 84/85mm SAKS could also be considered for keychain carry. I see pros and cons for keychain and loose pocket carry:

KEYCHAIN CARRY

Pros:

1. You're never without your tool when you leave home. No need to think about it, it will always be in the same place on your keys.
2. Difficult to lose or misplace while its attached to a bigger bunch of keys.
3. Maybe less offensive when attached to a bunch of keys.

Cons:

1. More cumbersome in use due to attachment to keys.
2. When arriving home and putting keys down you effectlively become tool-less whether in the bathroom or garden.
3. Added weight on keychain not great for car ignitions.

LOOSE POCKET CARRY

Pros

1. Easy to deploy and use.
2. May carry a bigger tool in the pocket compared to on the keychain.
3. Choice of any pocket.
4. Never tool-less from the moment you get dressed.

Cons

1. Easier to lose or misplace
2. Can't think of another.

This was thrown together quite quickly so maybe it could be added to but as you can see there are more negatives against keychain carry than loose carry. I also think its useful to have your tool on your person at all times so it seems like loose carry is the way to go.

Having said that there is something I like about a small tool being attached to a keychain as I know it will always be in the same place when I'm out. If I'm at home and i need to do something on the spot i won't be far away from being able to grab another tool (probably more capable of the job too). Its when I'm out its more of an emergency so knowing its always there attached to my keychain is quite reassuring. Maybe others have a better habit of carrying a tool in a certain pocket than I do?

Last edited:
SAK is often small and light enough I could consider it on a Keychain but another thing to consider w/ keychain carry if you fly you will need to remove it as you won't be able to carry your keys on the plane with it attached

I keep a Victorinox Alox Mini Champ on my key ring. I don't use it often, but it's always there. I didn't go through an in-depth analysis. If I used it a lot, I would probably carry it in my jeans watch pocket, and not attached to keys.

If you wear jeans, the small watch pocket is a good place for a small tool. I routinely keep a Case Peanut or similar in mine. Also rarely used, but I know it's there when I need to cut something.

I prefer loose in the pocket. I find it awkward trying to use a pocketknife that's attached to my keys. Back when I used to carry a Classic, it was just loose in the RF pocket. For the past 20 years or so, it's been my Executive that has been carried loose in the RF pocket, even though it, too, could still be considered small enough for keyring/keychain carry.

For several years, I carried a Spyderco Ladybug on my keyring, but almost never used it, mainly BECAUSE it was on my keyring. Sure, it was always there, but the weight of the keys while trying to use it meant I always used another knife I was carrying instead. It's not that my keys are that heavy, but they make using such a small tool awkward, and they 'get in the way' of what I'm doing, if that makes sense.

Also, when going into a gov't building or other knife-restricted area, it's easier to forget the knife that's on a keyring.

So far, I've never lost a pocketknife, carried loose or not, knock on wood.

Jim

Last edited:
If it's a small thing like a classic, it goes on my keyring in a separate pouch sheath I made for it. It's always there for me and I can't leave home without it. But lately I've been phasing the classic out for the Leatherman squirt and that is a bit too heavy for the eying, so it goes in the coin pocket of my jeans. The main SAK like my Wenger SI or tinker goes loose in my right front pocket with a loosely rolled up bandana to pad it out and keep it still.

Anything more than a classic goes in a pocket.

3BB7F6AF-5218-4E85-875F-D895E838856A.jpeg I like the modular gated key holders. They are easy to make up, modify, detach an item, etc.

I prefer not to attach a multi tool or a knife to my key chain. I also prefer to carry a little larger multi tool (Leatherman Juice S2) and larger knife (Spyderco PM2 or Manix2 LW) which don't lend themselves to being attached to a key chain.

Here's what I do. First, I have multiple sets of keys, one for each vehicle. I use Maxpedition Tritium keyrings with vehicle keys on one side, a set of house keys on the other, and a fob on the main/common branch. Then on my belt I have a Bianchi key hook/clip. I have my Vic Rambler and a small LED flashlight on a short lanyard and keep that hooked on my Bianchi clip so they are with me no matter what vehicle. Nice thing about the Tritium is that I can disconnect the vehicle keys and toss the house keys and fob into the console, then when I exit the vehicle I just carry the vehicle key and ring and clip them on the Bianchi, which is positioned right above my right front pocket so the knife, light, and keys dangle into that pocket. I have one of my traditionals in the left front pocket, usually in a leather slip.

Last edited:
I never leave my house without a larger LM. JUICE S2 for my retail job. If I'm not at my retail job I usually carry a LM Rebar. I occasionally carry a Squirt in my coin/watch pocket with a paracord lanyard. I also have a LM Mica on my key ring that I keep attached to my EDC bag. Note: I don't drive so it doesn't affect how I use it in a car.

Except for a Vic Manager attached to a Photon microlight in my jeans 5th pocket, I carry neither one loose in pocket, where it can't always be found easily amongst regular pocket clutter, nor on a keyring, where it's clumsy to use if you leave it on or a nuisance to remove and replace. Mine - Micra, Juice S2, Sportsman or whatever - get attached with a lobster clip and dangled into a pocket with a length of paracord held in place tucked under my belt. A large knot keeps them in place, but easy to remove by pushing the knot under the belt. If they get unintentionally loose from the belt, they simply drop into a pocket. In decades of carry this way, I haven't lost one yet.

Last edited:
I always carry two knives -- a Vic Rambler in the key chain and another folder loose in the front pocket -- because I like to always have a backup. And, while at home, I may put down the keychain but keep the other knife in the pocket or nearby.

BTW, I never, ever use the jeans coin/lighter small pocket and strongly advise against it. I used the said pocket once and lost a brand new vic. Never again.

I always carry two knives -- a Vic Rambler in the key chain and another folder loose in the front pocket -- because I like to always have a backup. And, while at home, I may put down the keychain but keep the other knife in the pocket or nearby.

BTW, I never, ever use the jeans coin/lighter small pocket and strongly advise against it. I used the said pocket once and lost a brand new vic. Never again.

I grieve for your loss, but maybe it had to do with your brand of jeans. For decades, I have worn only Wranglers, and never lost anything out of the 5th pocket (BTW, originally for pocket watches way back when) while wearing them, although sometimes things would slide out when shucking them for the night, only to be found next morning. But I did learn from others that when out for an arduous hike in wilderness areas, anything not secured can and will be lost. Taking seriously the advice of a more experienced friend, before a trip to the New Mexico desert hills I invested in pants which pockets were all zipper closed, and a good thing that. Partway up a rugged climb, a pocket that I had carelessly not zipped let loose of something, but fortunately, I noticed before continuing. That had never happened before, so lesson learned at no cost.

I only carry keys on my keychain hooked up to a carabiner, keychains with too much heavy stuff on it damages the ignition cylinder on the the old trucks that I drive. It could actually damage some newer vehicles also, over a period of time a heavy key chain will cause the ignition cylinder to be able to start the vehicle with out a key.

View attachment 863832 I like the modular gated key holders. They are easy to make up, modify, detach an item, etc.
They look interesting I have not seen them before. One of those would remove my main gripe of keeping something on a keyring - not being able to use it properly.

Also I see a few folks carry two tools so if you put your keys down at home you still have something in your pocket, even if it is just a knife. That seems like a good way to go

FDEB4E80-8B05-4602-B46E-370384EA0F1C.jpeg The stuff is versatile and useful. I think it’s a key caddie by Bison Designs. The split rings that come with caddie are quite large, so I go to the fishing store and get an assortment of split rings. I like to use smallest ring that will connect the tool to the swivel ball.

I carry one in the pocket, one on the key chain and one in a side pocket of my business back pack. One in my car too:oops:.

My back pack, a Wenger by the way, is one of the computer/business/TSA security friendly bags that I lug my ipad, Surface PC/tablet and all the stuff that goes with a sales and technical job. On each side is a black mesh pocket that the black belt sheath of a Leatherman Wave disappears in. You really can't see it.

In the pocket is usually a single blade modern, pocket clipped folder but on occasion, the Wenger SI, Vic Farmer or now, the Recruit.

My keychain knife is the Mini Champ.

I'm usually within walking distance of my car and there's a mid 90's model Gerber multi-tool in there. Usually reserved for fishing because of the one hand pliers but left in the car for emergency use.

I was thinking today about the Swisscard I have which has seen very little use. I always carry my wallet on me whether in the house or out, so it makes sense to carry something in the wallet.

When I think about small multis or Saks its only rare that I use the tweezers, toothpick, or pen. I never bother with the nailfile and I can get by without scissors in my pocket with a smallish blade. If I really need scissors I could pull out the swisscard.

I see the swisscard a bit differently now and might give it a whirl. It can be paired with a slim folder for ease of carry while still having the bells and whistles of a thicker SAK on your person. If I need screw driving or cap lifting capability I could add a Gerber Shard to my keyring which is not very heavy but will be useful when I'm out

Last edited:
The button on the hub retracts a sliding, spring loaded gate. So you slide the button toward the center of the hub, and the gate is open.

My Vic classics go loose in pocket with a small lanyard fob on them.
My Micra has a small diy suspension clip on it.
I have found no real downsides to loose in pocket carry with my classics as they're really too small to make their way out of my pocket.
The only tool type item I like to keep on keys is a set of TRIM clippers.

My grandfather carried only a Victorinox Classic loose in his pocket for years,
He went out with with it in his pocket and it only left said pocket when a hand removed it.

Last edited:
Back