Keychain carry or Loose in the pocket carry?

If there is one thing I had learnt about pocket carry or key attachments,
Is that such a loose carry or dangler had better have a simple protective sheath or cover.
Better for both the tool and pocket wear.

Key chain carry. I only put 3 keys on and have room for a flashlight and a SAK Classic.

If there is one thing I had learnt about pocket carry or key attachments,
Is that such a loose carry or dangler had better have a simple protective sheath or cover.
Better for both the tool and pocket wear.

That is true enough for most knives/multitools, but SAKs are slick enough to get away with it. When I used to pocket carry other makes without a sheath, though, they would abraid the pocket fabric, especially the sharp edged Micra. I finessed that by carrying the larger ones in sheaths on my belt, and the Micra in a slip Leatherman used to offer for it. But I have found that reasonably sized SAKs do just fine dangled or loose in pocket. I think that was probably a design consideration when they were fitted with cellidor scales. Vic seems to have thought of everything.

Vic classic on my keys. I keep it on a separate ring so I can slip it off the carabiner for easier use. I don't use it that frequently so it's not a hassle. I just like the option of having scissors on me without the weight of a multi-tool or bigger pocket carry Vic. Other knives with clips get clipped to the pocket and ones without get a slip.

IMG_20180310_153803.jpg

How about both:

My setup since december is:
Vic Classic Alox on the keychain. (predominantly for the scissors)
Vic Bantam Alox in the pocket. (lightweight and small enough to go in any pocket, even the coin pocket of a pair of jeans)

Ik very much like this EDC setup, because they complement each other in their shortcomings. (No scissors vs too small of a blade)

u7RXutI.jpg

To me the Bantam is borderline keychain worthy due to size. They say you shouldn't have too much weight hanging there when the keys are in the ignition. Don't really know... I tried a Vic classic (alox) for this and gave it to my wife for her use. I have a Leatherman Ps4 Squirt on each of my car key chains which I know is heavier than a Bantam. I usually keep my car keys in my pocket while at home. I have two sets of keys in my pocket; house and other, and car/truck. The Bantam is the knife I carry with a larger slip joint so I have the full sized tooth pick and tweezers. Both are useful at times. Just bought a small Tinker model which is 3" closed. I wouldn't put it on a keychain myself.

To me the Bantam is borderline keychain worthy due to size. They say you shouldn't have too much weight hanging there when the keys are in the ignition. Don't really know... I tried a Vic classic (alox) for this and gave it to my wife for her use. I have a Leatherman Ps4 Squirt on each of my car key chains which I know is heavier than a Bantam. I usually keep my car keys in my pocket while at home. I have two sets of keys in my pocket; house and other, and car/truck. The Bantam is the knife I carry with a larger slip joint so I have the full sized tooth pick and tweezers. Both are useful at times. Just bought a small Tinker model which is 3" closed. I wouldn't put it on a keychain myself.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to keep your keychain light, but may not be as much a problem as you might think. When I was a trainee mechanic, we were taught that a too heavy key chain bore down on the internal switch housing, causing wear, the distortion resulting in ignition problems, but I wasn't in the trade long enough to develop much expertise on the subject. To answer that question, I asked two auto mechanic friends, each with 40+ years of experience on all types and components on vehicles, if they knew anything about this issue. One of them said he had seen a couple of cases of this in all his career, and the the other said never. Personally, I keep a few other keys and tiny plastic courtesy cards on my keyring. These days, I drive a 25 year old Volvo that has had not only mine, but my wife's heavier keychain hanging from the ignition switch, and have never had any problems as a result. Nevertheless, I suppose it can happen. YMMV.

Well the Bantam doesn't have a key ring, so that's not an option. Weight wise, it wouldn't be a problem to carry on the key chain. It weighs next to nothing. Length wise I think it doesn't work.

I contemplated carrying a Cadet (same length) on my key chain, but I think it's too long.

Back