Keychain/pocket fixed blade knives

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My first fixed blade purchase of this sort was a CRKT Minimalist, and down the road I also purchased a Boker Plus Krein Pocket Bowie, which sadly I lost. I liked them both. The Pocket Bowie was more of a pocket than keychain knife, but the Minimalist was in my opinion about as large as I would go for a keychain knife.

What are your thoughts on keychain or pocket fixed blades, your preferred method of carrying them, how and when you use them, which ones you like best, either from the production or custom worlds, etc. Thanks!

My favorite is the Bradford G-necker carried in my front pocket in the factory kydex sheath.

To me it’s the perfect size for pocket carry and I’ll sometimes go with it in lieu of a ~3” pocket clip folder. I especially like the slightly wider grip which feels great in my hand without adding too much thickness to the overall profile.

The dinkiest little knife I've ever owned was a CRKT Krein Dogfish. The thing was not very sharp and I never got to try the bottle opener function.

I have a Sean Perkins fixecd blade about 3" total with a thick leather sheath. I carry it in my pocket. It's chisel ground with a convex grind on the other side. It's a great cutter, hard A1 steel. The grind is unique but effective. He used a coarse grit to give it a serrated edge effect.

I carried a Mora Eldris in my jeans pocket for a spell. It worked really well and I was pleased with it. But carrying a concealed fixed blade isn't legal in California, so I dropped the experiment after a while.
(I may buy the Mora belt adapter so I can wear it on my belt one of these days. Belt knives are legal in California, even large ones. They just have to be visible. That Mora Eldris is a great knife.)

I’m a fan of the JK keychain companion. It’s big on a keychain but very pocket friendly.
r5kwa07.jpg
VdIfuG6.jpg

Last edited:
not too much in favor of key danglers
since keys are already bulky enough
and normally being carried in a pant's
front pockets.
if need be, i do make this an exception...

My keychain knife is a basic SAK Rambler
I think I don’t like keychain knife. IMO, they add too much weight to the keys for the use they have.

however having a lightweight multi tool at hand is something that has helped me more than once
The Rambler is very light and packs some rolls that complete my EDC
I have it on my key ring and really carry it everyday

not too much in favor of key danglers
since keys are already bulky enough
and normally being carried in a pant's
front pockets.
if need be, i do make this an exception...
I carried one of these for years and one day noticed it was gone, have no idea where it went. It was a cool keychain carry piece nice and light.

I carried one of these for years and one day noticed it was gone, have no idea where it went. It was a cool keychain carry piece nice and light.
yeah if there"s one thing to worry about
is the retension
i guess constant friction of metal against
plastic would cause internal wear and loosening
of the catch tabs.
its a lucky thing for you that it went awol without incident...
i do appreciate its compactness and feather weight.
hence it is a near perfect carry with little complaints.

Here are a couple I bought to add to firesteel kits in addition to the strikers:

IMG_0123.jpg

They are kinda cool and would come in handy except I already carry like two or three blades all the time.
They both came with little leather sheaths.
I think a nice gift for folks that don't carry all the time.

I have a Sean Perkins fixecd blade about 3" total with a thick leather sheath. I carry it in my pocket. It's chisel ground with a convex grind on the other side. It's a great cutter, hard A1 steel. The grind is unique but effective. He used a coarse grit to give it a serrated edge effect.

Sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing a pic?

All of these go from pocket to belt to ball chain for the neck. They are all very handy and don't usually make the locals pucker in fear!!!View attachment 1462452

These look good, especially the one with the brass guard and butt cap. Any chance of seeing this same pic witha ruler in it, or getting specs on that knife, and maybe the caping knife, if that's what it is?

I pocket carried a Cold Steel Hai Hocho for a long time. Great little knife made of ok steel.

Back