1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Keychain/pocket fixed blade knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by David Mary, Nov 25, 2020.

1. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    My first fixed blade purchase of this sort was a CRKT Minimalist, and down the road I also purchased a Boker Plus Krein Pocket Bowie, which sadly I lost. I liked them both. The Pocket Bowie was more of a pocket than keychain knife, but the Minimalist was in my opinion about as large as I would go for a keychain knife.

What are your thoughts on keychain or pocket fixed blades, your preferred method of carrying them, how and when you use them, which ones you like best, either from the production or custom worlds, etc. Thanks!

Fullflat, guy g and GIRLYmann like this.
  2. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Hi David,

I like the A.G. Russell Woodswalker in the leather pocket sheath. Cheap, easy to maintain and even easier to carry.

I think you should make one!

guy g, Bastler, onekerf and 1 other person like this.
  3. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    My favorite is the Bradford G-necker carried in my front pocket in the factory kydex sheath.

To me it’s the perfect size for pocket carry and I’ll sometimes go with it in lieu of a ~3” pocket clip folder. I especially like the slightly wider grip which feels great in my hand without adding too much thickness to the overall profile.

Fullflat, guy g and David Mary like this.
  4. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    The dinkiest little knife I've ever owned was a CRKT Krein Dogfish. The thing was not very sharp and I never got to try the bottle opener function.

guy g and David Mary like this.
  5. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I have a Sean Perkins fixecd blade about 3" total with a thick leather sheath. I carry it in my pocket. It's chisel ground with a convex grind on the other side. It's a great cutter, hard A1 steel. The grind is unique but effective. He used a coarse grit to give it a serrated edge effect.

Fullflat, guy g and David Mary like this.
  6. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    This is distressing. I am saddened. :(

Fullflat and guy g like this.
  7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I carried a Mora Eldris in my jeans pocket for a spell. It worked really well and I was pleased with it. But carrying a concealed fixed blade isn't legal in California, so I dropped the experiment after a while.
    (I may buy the Mora belt adapter so I can wear it on my belt one of these days. Belt knives are legal in California, even large ones. They just have to be visible. That Mora Eldris is a great knife.)

8. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I’m a fan of the JK keychain companion. It’s big on a keychain but very pocket friendly. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Fullflat, guy g, David Mary and 3 others like this.
  9. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    not too much in favor of key danglers
    since keys are already bulky enough
    and normally being carried in a pant's
    front pockets.
    if need be, i do make this an exception...

10. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    My keychain knife is a basic SAK Rambler
    I think I don’t like keychain knife. IMO, they add too much weight to the keys for the use they have.

however having a lightweight multi tool at hand is something that has helped me more than once
    The Rambler is very light and packs some rolls that complete my EDC
    I have it on my key ring and really carry it everyday

11. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    All of these go from pocket to belt to ball chain for the neck. They are all very handy and don't usually make the locals pucker in fear!!! IMG_20200214_045955.jpg

Fullflat, guy g, Bastler and 3 others like this.
  12. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I carried one of these for years and one day noticed it was gone, have no idea where it went. It was a cool keychain carry piece nice and light.

Fullflat, guy g and GIRLYmann like this.
  13. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Busse Magnum Bear Cub with seller-made, copper pinned, Arizona desert ironwood burl scales, in the seller’s hybrid, Kydex lined, leather sheath. Carries nice in a pocket, on hikes. Photos are from the seller’s sales thread. C36F754A-DD67-4210-A791-2D9AB06F10E8.jpeg 59E736D7-4082-4232-BD52-EB89F28B7300.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  14. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    yeah if there"s one thing to worry about
    is the retension
    i guess constant friction of metal against
    plastic would cause internal wear and loosening
    of the catch tabs.
    its a lucky thing for you that it went awol without incident...
    i do appreciate its compactness and feather weight.
    hence it is a near perfect carry with little complaints.

d762nato, Fullflat and guy g like this.
  15. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    I actually use the Mini Pal as a zipper pull on my riding jacket. Makes a nice big handle when you’re moving at 50 mph and need to adjust the airflow a little bit.

16. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Here are a couple I bought to add to firesteel kits in addition to the strikers:

IMG_0123.jpg

They are kinda cool and would come in handy except I already carry like two or three blades all the time.
    They both came with little leather sheaths.
    I think a nice gift for folks that don't carry all the time.

17. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    My primary knife is a Brisa Necker 70. I use a home-made kydex sheath in my front pocket, secured to my trousers with a pocket watch chain.

[​IMG]

18. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing a pic?

These look good, especially the one with the brass guard and butt cap. Any chance of seeing this same pic witha ruler in it, or getting specs on that knife, and maybe the caping knife, if that's what it is?

Fullflat likes this.
  19. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    EnZo 70, mini Canadian , or one of 2 micro Canadians. I carry in a front pocket or in left cargo pocket. B585E920-E78E-4991-ABD9-FF67B1E650A0.jpeg 62FE9643-7DD4-4152-BAD4-F9A437CCB99A.jpeg 64FE4366-223C-4815-8468-BC8C984E33D0.jpeg

20. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I pocket carried a Cold Steel Hai Hocho for a long time. Great little knife made of ok steel.

guy g likes this.