Khukuri Designs - thoughts?

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
**Warning!!** You may need to maximize your browser to see all the pics.
1024 x 768 should cover it, but if you are 800 x 600 you may have to scroll. (sorry)

I had a few spare moments this week and came up a few Khukuri designs. (have to distract myself from the "Big Day" forthcoming)

I was inspired by the HI Baby Ganga Ram, YCS, Ang Khola and a villager sold last week.

Both of these designs are 12" OAL and are more "relaxed" than most other bent-knife designs = not as strong of an angle in the bend.
The handles would be hardwood with engravings. The blade would be a full 3/8" thick.

They seem to me like a cross between a Medium-sized Bowie and the Ganga Ram.

First design - the gray lines on the handle are just to show that it is round.
Otherwise all the white lines on the handle are decorative carvings.
This design has a slightly smaller handle and longer blade. It is more aggressive at the drop point.
design02a.gif

with dimensions:
design02.gif

Second Design
This design has a larger and longer handle and, in general, is more stout.
design01a.gif

with dimensions:
design01.gif

The engravings are inspired by the Nepal Flag on the HI website:
np-flag1-1024.gif

The crossing designs on the upper part of the handle represent the zigzag profile of the flag.
The 12 point engraved emblem is a direct copy of the symbol on the flag (it would be indented into the band, rather than protruding).

Let me know your thoughts! I have no idea if Uncle Bill takes design ideas,
but I thought I'd throw these out anyway, since I like to doodle.:D:D

Dan

I wish I could do stuff like that.

If we get five takers we'll try it but it may take a wood model.

I like them alot and would probably buy one, especially the first one. I've been looking for a smaller straighter blade with a good sharp tip, but of course from HI. A half-size AK bowie would be about right, but I like the lines and handle of this one better. I've also been thinking about a 15" GS, since they seem typically straighter than the average khuk.

With some nice inlays on the handle with a Nepal flag theme, you could call it the freedom model or something. Or "Maoist Medicine" :D

Design #1 looks very much like the "bulldog" villager that went up today (and also the Villager Bill just sent me). Mine is very balanced - not much of the aggressive forward stance of my AK or sirupati, though it's also not as long. Not quite as much curve as an AK, but still a very pleasing design.

It would be really neat to have a large star engraved on the widest part of the blade - sort of like the one on the handle, but larger.

Originally posted by Tohatchi NM
Design #1 looks very much like the "bulldog" villager that went up today...

...uhhh...**ahem** :D:D

Originally posted by Tohatchi NM
It would be really neat to have a large star engraved on the widest part of the blade - sort of like the one on the handle, but larger.

I agree 100%.

mPisi = right on the money. I was shooting for a nicely balanced one-hander, bowie-style. Yet, retain the shape and style of an "entry level" Khukuri.

The first one is also my favorite of the two.

Also - the name - I agree that it should be something related to the recent events, but in a positive "we will overcome" tone.

Dan

WOW WOW WOW

Amazing work Sir.
I want I want I want!!!

Nice drawings pendentive
Are those made in AutoCAD? I been playing around with this program called Rhino-3d. It's very good at drawing curves and extruding surfaces in 3D. I'll draw up a Kukri when I'm done with this *(*^(*& project and finals. Hell, maybe I'll draw it up after this project and work on the finals later :)

Originally posted by pendentive

...uhhh...**ahem** :D:D

If we let the kamis play with it, we'll have a bulldog with bows :D

The design has less of a drop/curve, and narrows less from the sweet spot to handle than many HI designs - what makes it more like a bowie. I was actually surprised when my Villager arrived - it looked so straight, at least in comparison to the AK and Sirupati I have. IMO, a very functional pattern for all 'round camp use, and a very practical size (12-14"), though you do give up some of the chopping power due to the length/balance.

Top notch!

Originally posted by Abear
Nice drawings pendentive. Are those made in AutoCAD?
Thanks. Yes.

I been playing around with this program called Rhino-3d.
Very fun program.

Hell, maybe I'll draw it up after this project and work on the finals later :)
Would you like me to send you the CAD drawing? I can export it to 3DS format if you like. Then, when you are done building the model in 3D, send it back and I can animate it and vector-render it.

That would be almost as good as having it in your hand.

Fun for us to see - but probably not much use to the Kamis.:D:D

Dan

How about this one?

I took Design #1 and added a double-edge and an engraved 12 point star to the blade.

design02b.gif

Looks like a winner to me. So far, there are 3 takers and a maybe. I would love to see this made. I'm not sure if I could do the wood model - perhaps someone else has that special touch?

Any more suggestions, ideas, comments?

Dan

Originally posted by pendentive
How about this one?

I took Design #1 and added a double-edge and an engraved 12 point star to the blade.

design02b.gif

Looks like a winner to me. So far, there are 3 takers and a maybe. I would love to see this made. I'm not sure if I could do the wood model - perhaps someone else has that special touch?

Any more suggestions, ideas, comments?

Dan

I like the design. On my 17" monitor (1024x768) the specs are about:
Handle (Including Bolster and Butt cap) = 4"
Blade (front of bolster to tip) = 7.5"
Over all = 11.5"

The handle is a little small for my hands so I would up the specs a little:
Handle (Including Bolster and Butt cap) = 4.75"
Blade (front of bolster to tip) = 8.25"
Over all = 13"

Upping the size like that should about keep the proportions correct and make the knife easier for people with large hands to use. BTW I wouldn't mind getting one as soon as I have the money.

wildmanh,

The design for this one is getting too cluttered to work with 3/8" stock. As you have it now the main edge will drop about 3/16" over .75 inches. That would give you an included edge angle of around 30 degrees; not much of a cutting edge. If you want it to look like this you are going to have to take the stock down to around 3/16 inch. That is what Aitor used when they produced these very similar knives.

n2s

Back