Kitchen KITH 2022

I developed a bit of an aversion towards 0.062" AEB-L during last year's KITH. I really hope you have better luck with it and it stays straight for you!

Do you normally profile your cutting edge after heat treating?
I do all my grinding after heat treat. I started to get a slight warp in this one while hand sanding, but it straightened out sanding the second side, tiniest little warp still in it, but looks good I think

I have a few heat treated AEB-L blanks that I might use. One is a 6" honesuki (I think it started .11" thick) that I ground the 45 degree bevels on and then surface ground. It warped a good bit during surface grinding, that's why it has all the dimples from peening. I also have three gyuto blanks (one in .1" thickness and two in .12") and a couple of nakiri and a chuka bocho. I did a nakiri last year, so I probably won't do a cleaver again.

PiPLYG7.jpg

I do all my grinding after heat treat. I started to get a slight warp in this one while hand sanding, but it straightened out sanding the second side, tiniest little warp still in it, but looks good I think
I just want to make sure I understood you correctly. When you say all your grinding, do you mean the bevels and the profile as well? Do you have the bevels ground on the blade in the picture already? It looks like the cutting edge is straight like a wharncliffe.

I just want to make sure I understood you correctly. When you say all your grinding, do you mean the bevels and the profile as well? Do you have the bevels ground on the blade in the picture already? It looks like the cutting edge is straight like a wharncliffe.
I shape the blade before heat treat, but grind the bevels after. I do it that on all my blades.

I shape the blade before heat treat, but grind the bevels after. I do it that on all my blades.
Got it. I also grind the bevels after heat treat. The only profiling I do after heat treat is the spine at the tip and the shoulders on hidden tangs. I have a tendency to round over those areas during hand sanding, so I started leaving extra material and profiling them last.

The handle looks a bit tall to me, both at the front and the butt. I drew a quick sketch over your image (after warping the image to remove perspective distortion from the camera angle). I have not done a lot of western handles, so take it for what it's worth. I think it will make a nice knife!

u0jnlkX.png
Thanks for the drawing. I like the handle in your drawing better than what’s on my knife now. I held it in hand for quite a while last night after I took the crappy picture I posted. The handle is definitely too tall and thinning it down like in your drawing will give it a little more knuckle clearance. I’ve got some more bars of 3/32” AEB-L so I may copy this profile and do a bigger batch. I already have a lot (too many if you ask my wife) of options for handle material but since this is a BladeForums build, I decided to order some new scales from Greenberg Woods Greenberg Woods for this one. Thanks again for the feedback and for running this H Hubert S.

Thanks for the drawing. I like the handle in your drawing better than what’s on my knife now. I held it in hand for quite a while last night after I took the crappy picture I posted. The handle is definitely too tall and thinning it down like in your drawing will give it a little more knuckle clearance. I’ve got some more bars of 3/32” AEB-L so I may copy this profile and do a bigger batch. I already have a lot (too many if you ask my wife) of options for handle material but since this is a BladeForums build, I decided to order some new scales from Greenberg Woods Greenberg Woods for this one. Thanks again for the feedback and for running this H Hubert S.
Agreed with the handle design. I generally prefer a hard point somewhere on the butt of the handle for visual flow.

Rest looks good. Edge profile could perhaps be a tad flatter given the santoku style, but would still be useful as is.

Agreed with the handle design. I generally prefer a hard point somewhere on the butt of the handle for visual flow.

Rest looks good. Edge profile could perhaps be a tad flatter given the santoku style, but would still be useful as is.
Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed what you’re saying about the edge profile. I think when I do another one of these, I will make it a flatter profile. I think I just let the grinding get a little carried away when I profiled this one

Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed what you’re saying about the edge profile. I think when I do another one of these, I will make it a flatter profile. I think I just let the grinding get a little carried away when I profiled this one
I agree with Nick regarding the cutting edge. I took a little bit of the belly out in my sketch, but you could do more. It is still very easy to do on the blank you have, even after heat treating.

I agree with Nick regarding the cutting edge. I took a little bit of the belly out in my sketch, but you could do more. It is still very easy to do on the blank you have, even after heat treating.
Thanks. I’ll take some of the belly off before I send it out for heat treating.

I'd like to get in on this if it's not too late.

I can post pictures of some recent knives if need be. I got two in the heat treat oven right now...

I'd like to get in on this if it's not too late.

I can post pictures of some recent knives if need be. I got two in the heat treat oven right now...
Welcome to the party! I have added you to the list.

You can join any time before the deadline. Technically, you are only committed once you post a picture of your finished knife to this thread.

I have been less than successful at getting this done around other work in previous years, but I would like to have another go at it.

I had some time today after forging out an order, so I hammered this out of 15 n20. It's a bit over 13" overall. Now let's see if I can find time to finish it.
20220627-172752.jpg

Just wanted to give this thread a bump. The deadline is only eight weeks away. If you plan on sending your blade away for heat treating, you probably have to get it in the mail soon.

I'm back from Germany and hope I can get some work done this weekend.

Back