Kitchen Knife Pics

Sigsog226

Gold Member
So i have just recently really got into kitchen knives (bought me and my wife a new set for Christmas), and looks like this section of the forum needs some more action. Figured this might be the best way.

So lets see em! Any of them. I'm curious of what we are all using and hoping to learn a little more about this new addiction of mine:)

JsmW6sE.jpg

Chef knife by Matt Gregory

Paring knife by Stuart Davenport

Both are in different styles of walnut and both are in AEB-L.

Nice knives guys! That's a nice block you have too Panthera.
We decided to give Christmas gifts early :)
I kind of went for stuff that got good reviews and what i thought would work alright for us until i can figure out what we really like and want in our kitchen knives.
Except the Miyabi, i wanted to try a Japanese style knife and liked the look of it. The sg2 steel had me intrigued. Got a great black friday deal on it.

Mercer 10" bread knife
Victorinox fibrox 8" chef's knife
Miyabi Mizu 6" chef's knife
Kai wasabi 4" paring knife
Wusthof pro 2.5" bird's beak paring
1210172000a-1.jpg 1210171954-1.jpg 1210172003a-1.jpg 1210172007-1-1.jpg

I just supplemented my kitchen knives with a Deba, Nikiri and Sashimi from a Japanese maker called Sekizo. They are not high dollar, but they are sharp as can be and Japanese steel. I'll have to post a pic of my kitchen block at a later time.

This is the Deba

Old Navy, are those Asian knives like the sashimi with the light color handles Japanese or Chinese? I kept seeing the Chinese ones pretty cheap, but came across the three I have pictured for around the same price and they are Japanese manufacture. They ranged between $13-20.

When you mention Sashimi, i assume you mean this photo.
L3idGqsMaMU2YdiQELKusi9cbpGEb2FJo8QTslveLdUTj4Jf-SbieqaQxQjQl2L7G-G6I4LLfp9lx2CjPLg5g0-g07FNTRv2qS-xNPjXipdJYsTlr6YlPnKbhzhSMCDiLuXydpwvPtYNmk8_CWdH2ohHf0GhVCelY35cQpRBg8Tx0hDCdCBur9ZkFBrc6xO6vFoFwuG1W8snTKigPgSrHMmIY_zmYwZFOOzmTVRW_If32nEr7KygjVHDhXCOLJt6rUd__bBTtJq0piHDJMIR93jLB6S5-a5-MwnXThnThOyM3uLz8jwwRtOW_mM6H5HtGLOqrlWNORZrTur15Y5PdKzswEtud0l5y7nKM9ZEG2-vrwVWMWE6Z55JkjGG-lpLO5P3PmqOiCjWphditQ_W7X10w7Xx9X4b7UncJfIC9nBRRMfWWD6oSi8orteNti-NnAxwyWW-LIx83tMg9FMNzdZcGQFFF32pefSDDMAxM-7e1vnMfiW206E3JAoxYVtiUCkbcoUmVa4oAF1u2syq6RM1u4msRmrVGHBkDjGOcZsw9kBuixH51oMjy1kOqunHM5pfqz9yqI5Hc3LeAX3_yI07WcXdPnZkoI4ahRQ=w1024-h683-no

The top one is A Gesshin Uraku Yanigiba Single Bevel in White #2 Carbon Steel from Japanese Knife Imports.

the bottom one is a Mukimono, It's been a while but I believe that one is White #2 also. got it from Korin

both in the 200.00 dollar range

the bottom one is a Mukimono
I was wondering about that one. Looked like a usuba with with a kiritsuke tip, which I have never seen before. I was not aware of the mukimono knife before now. Do you use it for the purpose of the decorative vegetable carving it is named for?

no decorative stuff, mostly thin slicing soft stuff like tomatoes, kiwi's , peppers. the tip is super delicate
so I slice with pull strokes heel first with the tip elevated a bit to start

Forged O-1 Chef's knife I started on yesterday. Forged from 1" round bar, flat ground, nickel silver bolster. I'll probably just edge harden it. I have to fit the guard and handle before I heat treat it. I haven't made a lot of knives, but it's fun. I was really happy with the forging on this -- almost no grinding on the profile. I'm pretty happy with the flat grind, except for the plunge areas.

img_1516.jpg

I have mostly my rejects in my kitchen. Every time I make myself a new knife, someone buys it off me. I have a couple z-wear knives near completion, and those won’t be for sale. Well, at least one of them.

Back