Kitchen knives too thin?

They are not interested on the level we are. I am entirely sure they have interests you are not interested in, and if they called you ignorant or an idiot or a bonehead I'm sure you would be upset.

I have no problem to pay and I PAY 1000 $ for fishing reel or 500 $ for fishing rod , but I will never pay more than 100$ for knife or more then 50 bucks for phone ..... ;)
High quality knife community is small as is small high quality fishing gear community ......it's always the same , does not matter it was a knife , fishing reel , phone or postal stamps .You can catch fish on a $ 20 rod and reel and clean them with 10 $ knives :D

Sure ignorant means "uneducated" in the dictionary, but you're not using it in that context at all. Especially when you mentioned the fact that they were already "educated" on why his knives are as thin as they are, yet they are still ignorant in the context that you originally meant for it to be. Passive aggressive....

Well put. All of us who participated in the Carbon vs Stainless thread last week saw plenty of it. :thumbsdown:

Are the folks in the We We All New Here thread ignorant? Are people taking their first Quantum Mechanics course ignorant? Are people who don't know the difference between oolong and puerh teas ignorant?

Nonsense. If one is so smart about knives to go around calling people boneheads, idiots, and ignorant, even here, but that same person can't teach people about knives or get them interested in them...guess what...ain't so smart.

If I see an educated, passionate skilled artisan like weo weo making something...anything...its going to get me interested in it.

Weo is making knives. That's more than a lot of us can say. I can admire and appreciate a fine quality knife to use, but no way can I begin to make knives to the level of some of the makers out there!

I have no problem to pay and I PAY 1000 $ for fishing reel or 500 $ for fishing rod , but I will never pay more than 100$ for knife or more then 50 bucks for phone ..... ;)
High quality knife community is small as is small high quality fishing gear community ......it's always the same , does not matter it was a knife , fishing reel , phone or postal stamps .You can catch fish on a $ 20 rod and reel and clean them with 10 $ knives :D

And I am sure you would gladly take the time to show me why those rods and reels are better, or have better tolerances, or handmade craftsman ship or whatever, rather than just grumbling on fishingstuffforums how everyone else is ignorant.

Again , not saying that is what weo weo is doing. To extend the analogy, see if you can get nibbles weo weo , then set the hook!

Weo is making knives. That's more than a lot of us can say. I can admire and appreciate a fine quality knife to use, but no way can I begin to make knives to the level of some of the makers out there!

Well you must be ignorant! :p

There is stuff for everyone to learn (except maybe certain people :rolleyes:). That hardly makes everyone ignorant.

I don't care if folks think I'm ignorant. That falls under the adage of "when you're strong, pretend you're weak; when you're weak, pretend you're strong". Life's a journey where we learn new things all the time. Sometimes the things we learn can be life-altering.

Thin is in folks, if you're slicing in the kitchen!

I don't care if folks think I'm ignorant. That falls under the adage of "when you're strong, pretend you're weak; when you're weak, pretend you're strong". Life's a journey where we learn new things all the time. Sometimes the things we learn can be life-altering.

Thin is in folks, if you're slicing in the kitchen!
Thin is IN in more places than the kitchen. What goes around comes around in terms of cutlery.

I once asked a friend (more associate) why he always dressed up all the time? His reply was when you're poor you dress up and when you're "rich" you wear jeans and tea shirts.

Fishing reels, handmade carbon fiber fishing rods, handmade knives..... etc. We all place value in different things and that does not make us an idiot or ignorant.

Thin is IN in more places than the kitchen. What goes around comes around in terms of cutlery.

I once asked a friend (more associate) why he always dressed up all the time? His reply was when you're poor you dress up and when you're "rich" you wear jeans and tea shirts.

Fishing reels, handmade carbon fiber fishing rods, handmade knives..... etc. We all place value in different things and that does not make is an idiot or ignorant.

True that, but for kitchen, it's thin all the way! I spend lots of time bumming around in the woods and I want something bigger than thin.

I just got a new Condor machete (Swamp Master model). My sister asked why I need another machete? Thought about that a tad and replied that I wanted it for my new truck. But why not one of the old ones or little used ones you already own? But I wanted another one shaped like the Swamp Master because I find it so effective and handy. Sister.... but why? How often do you use one? The discussion is circular just like justifying a Hinderer or CRK knife.

91Bravo, I certainly can appreciate a big knife in the woods.

First off, you called them "idiots," and "boneheads" not "ignorant."

They are, as N Natlek pointed out, not idiots or boneheads.

Second, I know your penchant for calling everyone "ignorant" and then saying "that means uneducated". I buy neither of those either here. They are not interested on the level we are. I am entirely sure they have interests you are not interested in, and if they called you ignorant or an idiot or a bonehead I'm sure you would be upset.

What is, lets call it "shortsighted," is writing people off as boneheads instead of educating them and making them interested. Especially when that is done by people claiming to have sweeping knowledge.

That said, as others have said, a demo would be a great teaching tool about blade geometry, but one needs to get them interested first. The fact that the OP is making knives would be a good way in the door, as it were.

*Sigh* Try rereading my posts. This time pay attention. I'm not going to get roped into this.

Sure ignorant means "uneducated" in the dictionary, but you're not using it in that context at all. Especially when you mentioned the fact that they were already "educated" on why his knives are as thin as they are, yet they are still ignorant in the context that you originally meant for it to be. Passive aggressive....

If you guys can't comprehend what I'm saying that's fine. Both of you don't seem to comprehend what is written. Just put me on your ignore list like I'm about to do with you. Everybody's satisfied!

If you guys can't comprehend what I'm saying that's fine. Both of you don't seem to comprehend what is written. Just put me on your ignore list like I'm about to do with you. Everybody's satisfied!

That's probably for the best that you do. Make sure you get all the ignorant people on it.

If demos are a no-go, how about creating a poster which illustrates matching the proper knives for different tasks. It would be kind of like a knife shape and build for dummies chart, so one could go up, check what tasks are best served by whatever knife, then they can either ask for that knife or ask why you suggest it for that task.

It doesn't even have to be fancy. Even just some silhouettes of blade shapes/thicknesses on one side, and best suited tasks on the other.

Aw come on, please don't put me on ignore! My comprehension skills are fine thank you. You're basically calling everyone ignorant because they don't know something. Do you know everything? That's what I thought. That, in your definition, makes you ignorant too. See how loosely I threw that term out there?

Hello all. I've got some of my damascus kitchen slicers for sale at the blacksmith booth at the Washington State Fair. The main reason that people haven't wanted to buy one of them is that they say they're too thin. Huh???
My spine thicknesses run between .092" -> .084" at the heel, tapering down to about .050 at the tip. I thought kitchen slicers were supposed to be thin.
Any suggestions on how I should respond to these folks?

At the MO state fair the young man at the MO blacksmith demo area complained that there was no customers for high end cutlery. His prices weren't that high, but his knives didn't pass muster for $100-200. Yours do pass muster, but I think he was right about not having the right customer for his wares.

I've bought 3 custom knives at fairs, but they were in the $50 price range, all were users. Spyderco got their start on the fair circuit. Most state fairs I've been to have a CUTCO rep or even full team. So some knives get sold.

But did you have fun at the fair? I always do :)

Back