Kizer Feist and the gritty action....

Josh could you disclose the vendor that is getting the corrected version, I don't do intsagram, Thanks, pm me if not an vendor here.

Whoever has to the power to do so, should make sure they put some way to distinguish between the two Feists. If they don't I forsee another scandal in Kizer's future.

All its going to take are a few customers buying a Feist 1 when they think they are getting a "feist 2".

Whoever has to the power to do so, should make sure they put some way to distinguish between the two Feists. If they don't I forsee another scandal in Kizer's future.

All its going to take are a few customers buying a Feist 1 when they think they are getting a "feist 2".

the way it sounds is that there is no "feist 2", just corrections that can be made to the stop pin and milling in the channel on the inside of the handles. the corrections were made to the production process and lundquist has communicated that kizer will be taking in existing kizers for repair, per his instructions.

while i would have been more happy with a second version and i understand some may find this situation less than ideal, but i personally am content with the outcome as long as i can get a fixed version. yea kizer could have handled this better for the consumer, but realistically, it could have been much worse as well

the way it sounds is that there is no "feist 2", just corrections that can be made to the stop pin and milling in the channel on the inside of the handles. the corrections were made to the production process and lundquist has communicated that kizer will be taking in existing kizers for repair, per his instructions.

while i would have been more happy with a second version and i understand some may find this situation less than ideal, but i personally am content with the outcome as long as i can get a fixed version. yea kizer could have handled this better for the consumer, but realistically, it could have been much worse as well

I know there is no Feist 2. I am saying they need some way to distinguish the two so a bunch of people don't buy the unfixed version by accident.

Here's the Kizer Limited Lifetime Warranty. the policy below is not promising... hopefully they will be a little more reasonable considering the situation with the Feist. I like this knife enough to maybe sink another $170 for a corrected version, but if that's my only course of action for this, it's a pretty ugly situation.

also note, the email address below is failing, so i've sent my inquiry to all of these: 'Sevice@kizercutlery.com'; 'info@kizercutlery.com'; kizer@tbt-gd.com; 'Kizer.cutlery@gmail.com'

1)Your Kizer knife is guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship and has a limited lifetime warranty, to the original owner.
2) Kizer will not warranty products due to loss, damage caused by abuse, neglect, misuse, accident or improper blade sharpening .
3)Repairs to your knife performed by any source other than Kizer Inc. unconditionally voids the knife’s warranty.
4)Disassembly will void warranty.
5)Cost for postage is the responsibility of the customer.
6)Contact us at Sevice@kizercutlery.com before applying service,warranty work or sharpen.

Last edited:
Oh yikes I didn't realize the intent was to have "fixed" ones out there with the originals without any way to distinguish them. I'm not sure I'm on board with that.

I get that this was a big issue that has likely cost Kizer a lot of money. I was excited when they took it upon themselves to fix the knife, knowing that it was likely a costly venture. Not marking the knives as "fixed" however seems to defeat the purpose of ever correcting the mistake in the first place. Now instead of guaranteeing that I'll have a smoother action, I still have to gamble (albeit it is a better bet now) on not getting a lemon? I don't understand that from my perspective, though I get it from a defraying cost perspective. But then again, why even correct it in the first place if consumers can't reliably access the fix?

Oh yikes I didn't realize the intent was to have "fixed" ones out there with the originals without any way to distinguish them. I'm not sure I'm on board with that.

I get that this was a big issue that has likely cost Kizer a lot of money. I was excited when they took it upon themselves to fix the knife, knowing that it was likely a costly venture. Not marking the knives as "fixed" however seems to defeat the purpose of ever correcting the mistake in the first place. Now instead of guaranteeing that I'll have a smoother action, I still have to gamble (albeit it is a better bet now) on not getting a lemon? I don't understand that from my perspective, though I get it from a defraying cost perspective. But then again, why even correct it in the first place if consumers can't reliably access the fix?

We don't necessarily know that Kizer won't he distinguishing between the two. So far I haven't heard if they will or not.

We don't necessarily know that Kizer won't he distinguishing between the two. So far I haven't heard if they will or not.

Fair, I might have gotten carried away :)

I just think it would be a shame if there wasn't some way to tell!

Fair, I might have gotten carried away :)

I just think it would be a shame if there wasn't some way to tell!

It would be nice if Kizer would check here once in a while or have some way of answering questions better. I have tried contacting them via passenger pidgeon with a little note tied to its leg and a message in a bottle.....so far no answer.

Actually come to think of it my pidgeon never came back. I know pidgeon is a delicacy in China, I hope they didn't eat my bird!

Just got the first shipment of the new production run of the Feist (I'm a Kizer dealer in the Netherlands). The knife looks exactly identical to the first run so no way to identify them from each other. The reason for this (according to Kizer) was the fact that only a small portion of the first run suffered from the "gritty action" problem (I received only one complaint from a customer about the problem and sold many Feist). Kizer (via the dealers) will exchange any knife from the first batch that has the "gritty action" for a new knife so no need to worry when buying a new Feist.

How in the world could you order one of these online and know which you were getting -- old or new?

Just got the first shipment of the new production run of the Feist (I'm a Kizer dealer in the Netherlands). The knife looks exactly identical to the first run so no way to identify them from each other. The reason for this (according to Kizer) was the fact that only a small portion of the first run suffered from the "gritty action" problem (I received only one complaint from a customer about the problem and sold many Feist). Kizer (via the dealers) will exchange any knife from the first batch that has the "gritty action" for a new knife so no need to worry when buying a new Feist.

Again, no way of knowing you're buying a "fixed" Feist?!

Many dealers still have old stock.

Personally, I very much dislike having to send back a knife to the dealer and even worse yet to the manufacturer.

So, unfortunately, I will continue to pass on the desirable Feist.

Again, no way of knowing you're buying a "fixed" Feist?!

Many dealers still have old stock.

Personally, I very much dislike having to send back a knife to the dealer and even worse yet to the manufacturer.

So, unfortunately, I will continue to pass on the desirable Feist.

My experience and approach with the Feist is NOT my usual attitude towards knives, so i'm not disagreeing with RamZar, more so sharing for those who are still interested. this knife is in the top 3 knives i've ever owned (of course this is VERY subjective, and i'm applying price/value heavily in my judgement). 97% of other knives, i would have given up long ago.

the closest we will get to comfort that we are receiving a new batch, is to buy from dealers who were either sold out or didn't have any from the previous run, receiving a batch from kizer this week from the new production run. There is a little trust involved here.

1. you have to trust that kizer is honestly sending out new and improved run
2. the dealer is also being honest that they received what kizer claims to be from a new improved run

personally, i am relatively comfortable believing both kizer and the dealer i have been corresponding with. the dealer is going to post their new batch of feists and i will be ordering my FOURTH feist this week. i will do a comparison to my third feist and will post here if there is any interest. for what it's worth, my third feist seems to be a perfectly good example, no grittiness, no blade play, centered. the part i'm most curious about is the tolerance of the stop pin and how it may affect the action. here's what the action on my third feist is like

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/PositivePastelJunebug

Nice -- but is that a big band-aid you're wearing? :D

ended up with a bulk supply of peanuts bandaids, and they grew on me. i've always been a bit of a peanuts fan though

ALSO, to those of you who want to try the new and improved Feist, i'm going to try my best to make this announcement without breaking a rules. go to lundquist's instagram post about how to get new production run of corrected feists. they are available and i've already ordered mine

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZHfdIKFIJW/?taken-by=justinlundquist

Thanks, Josh.

I queried that company and quickly got a response that they didn't know whether or not these were new Feists.

A company representative later said he checked and determined that these are indeed the new Feists.

I don't know this company but I was impressed with their fast responses.

Presumably other dealers also will be getting new Feists.

That still leaves us with the issue of identifying the new stock.

That is super stupid and I am very disappointed in Kizer for not doing something to mark these as different. Lundquist I can't believe you are letting them halfass the fix like this? Even if a store sold 100 Feists and only one customer complained that could just mean that only one customer used the knife, or knows knives well enough to recognize the issues.

All it would have taken is a friggin permanent marker X on the box.

Back