Knife abuse by friends and family members

I upgraded my girlfriend's knife to a Civivi Backlash as an experiment and because she shouldn't be using a garage knife as her personal knife, no matter how hard she is on them. I've made my peace with whatever happens to it, but I'm hoping the pretty Damascus clad blade saves its life. The budget room knives and budget yardening knives are still always handy to take most of the abuse.

The RealSteel Tuna Luna Lite Yellow has been doing yeoman service in the kitchen for most of the year, saving the good kitchen knives from non-food related knife operations, but the D2 shows little sign of being used and the moisture of the kitchen hasn't bothered it all.

Total disagreement here. Many many knives have and will continue to last well over 100 years.

We will agree to disagree then. Many knives do indeed last longer than 100 years, but they aren’t used daily or they’d be worn out.

I agree with most bf members - a good knife, properly cared for should last hundreds of years

this one is over 3300 years old - still looks pretty much amazing ;p
Tutankhamun%27s_meteoric_iron_dagger.png

I have family members that have zero respect for knife edges. They will happily cut on the granite kitchen counter, glass container or steel plate, or scrape crushed garlic out of the garlic crusher with the tip of a freshly sharpened (by me) knife. It infuriates me when this still happens after I've told them countless times that it damages the edges that I spent so much time sharpening and makes the knife useless as a knife afterwards. I've learnt to live with it and don't put too much effort into sharpening their knives anymore.

I only had to shout at my girlfriend once after she cut onto a ceramic plate. After that she has the uttermost respect for my knives and now cuts only on a cutting board. She doesn't throw the knives in the drawer, washes them carefully, taking care not to bang them in the sink, and generally just treats my knives how I would treat them. Since we've been together, she has come to really appreciate a sharp knife and now can't stand using her family's dull knives. Same with my pots and pans. A few years ago I invested in quality non-stick cookware that was pretty expensive for me. Months went by before I trusted her enough to wash those pots and pans with a non-scratch sponge, otherwise, I did it myself. I told her to never use anything metallic in the pots and pans, only wood or silicone. She's learnt well and respects my possessions. I can't say the same for my ex however.

I don't carry a loaner knife, but nobody that I don't trust uses my knives. I'll cut what needs to be cut for them. I can count on one hand how many people I'd actually lend my knife to and still have fingers left over.

Same goes for other items I own, like my GPS for work purposes. My colleagues, who have a history of losing, breaking and just generally being hard on stuff, will NEVER get to borrow my GPS. I've seen the condition that their assigned GPS's come back in (if they actually come back) after working in the field, and I will never let them touch mine.

[...]

Same goes for other items I own, like my GPS for work purposes. My colleagues, who have a history of losing, breaking and just generally being hard on stuff, will NEVER get to borrow my GPS. I've seen the condition that their assigned GPS's come back in (if they actually come back) after working in the field, and I will never let them touch mine.
There's an old joke about cops, ironworkers, construction workers and [fill in the blank] that goes like this here:

You put a ________[fill in the blank]______ in a rubber room with three steel ball bearings; they'll lose one, bust one and steal one!

WINNER WINNER: Chicken dinner!! 😁
She's definitely a keeper! (Both the knife; and your Best-Half!)

I bought once a ceramic kitchen knife to see how they work…
‘Next day we had party at home for my grand daughter. One of the guests, older guy, father of friend of ours, wanted to open a box with toys, packed with some flimsy screws on the back.
I saw him across the room in the moment he grabbed my new ceramic knife and started unscrewing those screws from the cardboard fixture…. Tip went off of course, he just looked around, left the knife back by the other knives like he never used it and grabbed another knife to finish with the screws . I didnt say anything, he didn’t mentioned either but from this moment on, I’m trying not to invite him when we gather together.

I usually carry few knives with me on a daily bases, a”working” knife as the CS GoldenEye or Voyager, or Rat1, and another, more “gentleman’s edc” oriented knife as my knives with custom scales and so.
Nobody ever gets anything but the “working” knife and this is only in the rare case when they ask for knife and I cannot do it for myself…

Those are the kind of people who will hit your parked car and drive away if they think no one is looking.

rhino rhino You’re right of course. In other case I’d say something. In this particular case I didn’t want to tarnish kids party in the very beginning. Besides, it wasn’t terribly expensive knife… But yes, you got a point there.

My (now ex) father-in-law used a junk kitchen knife to clean fish that he kept dull by tossing it in a drawer with other metal implements. Being the genius that I am, I bought him a Buck folding filet knife. If he had the presence of mind to fold it before he stowed it, it wouldn't be dull as church on Wednesday the next time he used it. It's probably still as sharp as the day I bought it, because he never used it. Talk about a bellend. I should have taken the knife back when he said he didn't like it.

Back