Knife for fire investigation

Completely rust free will be probably impossible.

The Pacific Salt is truly rust-free. :) It's made with H1 steel, which employs nitrogen instead of carbon; it's intended for use in and around saltwater. The trade-off is edge retention, but in my experience the serrated models are quite solid in that department.

Welcome.

You will want to get rid of that link to H*** De***. Against the rules.

You seem far too obsessed with disassembly. As @Eli Chaps mentioned earlier, a Spyderco Delica (or Salt) will be fine if you just flush the thing out, with, say water from a hose.

They are proven knives over years.

Honestly, I would go fixed blade. A brightly colored Mora is unintimidating, especially when carried by a firefighter.

To check all your boxes I think you would have to go way over your $100.00 budget ...

That being said the Spyderco Salt knives are probably the best combination of your "check list" ... Spyderco doesn't encourage disassembly ... in fact that could void the warranty ...

But the good news is you shouldn't have a need to disassemble the Salt ... use pressurized air or WD40 or a gun cleaner CLP etc ... and wash in with hot water and dawn and put it back in your pocket ...

If you want add a drop of oil on occasion ... but it is about the only knife I can think of that fits nearly all of your wants ...

Another option ... go to Knife Center's site and search and filter your options and see what you end up with ...

The only knives I can think of that lock open and lock shut are Benchmades or Kershaws ... there may be others ... those are only what I know of ...

If you want to raise your budget significantly you could check all your boxes ... but IMHO the Salt is close to all your wants ...

Honestly, I would go fixed blade. A brightly colored Mora is unintimidating, especially when carried by a firefighter.

Like this Mora Companion, for example

KJTv3PM.jpg

To check all your boxes I think you would have to go way over your $100.00 budget ...

That being said the Spyderco Salt knives are probably the best combination of your "check list" ... Spyderco doesn't encourage disassembly ... in fact that could void the warranty ...

But the good news is you shouldn't have a need to disassemble the Salt ... use pressurized air or WD40 or a gun cleaner CLP etc ... and wash in with hot water and dawn and put it back in your pocket ...

If you want add a drop of oil on occasion ... but it is about the only knife I can think of that fits nearly all of your wants ...

Another option ... go to Knife Center's site and search and filter your options and see what you end up with ...

The only knives I can think of that lock open and lock shut are Benchmades or Kershaws ... there may be others ... those are only what I know of ...

If you want to raise your budget significantly you could check all your boxes ... but IMHO the Salt is close to all your wants ...

THank you for your thoughts. I will probably end up with a pacific salt as it hits pretty much all my boxes.

Something from the Spyderco Salt series in yellow. Just flush it out and call it good.

Yeah... I was thinking a Native Salt with bright yellow FRN handles and their LC200N blade might be just the thing. It's a little over $100 but it's a simple and effective tool that's very nearly corrosion proof. I don't even think it has washers around the pivot. And for cleaning, it shouldn't need to be disassembled. Just flush under running water and dry it. Then blow our the pivot and lock area with a can of computer air.

I'm in the minority here but you might want to consider these points:

I'd go with a high quality fixed blade knife and Kydex sheath.

You won't be investigating fires in your street clothes and can probably find a pocket big enough to conceal a fairly small sheathed fixed blade knife.

It's much quicker and easier to clean a fixed blade knife. By the time you get around to disassembling your folder (a repetitive hassle you probably don't need) it could already be starting to rust, plus it has a lot more crevices for water, ash, and other debris to get into. You never know what kind of chemicals, and chemical reactions from the heat of the fire, there might be. Another good reason to clean your knife ASAP.

A knife shouldn't be used for prying, but if you do a quality full-tang fixed blade has much less chance of breaking and possibly causing injury. I don't particularly trust locking devices on folders, either.

A fixed blade handle will probably provide a larger and better gripping surface than a folder. I'd look for a rubber-type, textured handle for increased grip and safety, especially when wet and/or dirty.

Stainless steel for increased rust protection.

I wouldn't compromise too much to get a bright colored handle. It will get dirty. When everything is burned and black it doesn't take too much contrast to stand out, and the knife will have a silver blade. You can always put bright-colored cord or tape on the handle, if needed.

A Kydex sheath can easily be rinsed out with water and dries fairly quickly but it must have good retention and maybe a secondary retention device for added security and safety.

Last edited:
160912123542_Multi_20Function_20Knife_20Kershaw_20Pocket_20Folding_20Knife_208CR13MOV_20Blade_20Survival_20Tactical_20Hunting_20Knifes_20Camping_20Knives_20Outdoor_2.jpg

How about the Kershaw Select Fire in blue color? Relatively inexpensive and comes with a screw driver tool. Pretty useful.

Another vote for the Pacific Salt. I don’t think you should plan on disassembling it. Not impossible, but takes a little doing. I use mine for working in the yard and I have had mud, dirt and grime in every part of that knife. Spray it out with water (or soap and water) and you’re good to go. Probably my most beat up knife and it still looks pretty damn good!

First post. I am currently looking to find a work knife. I have been reading about a bunch of different knifes and I figured I should ask a knife community to see their thoughts. I work as a fire investigator, so basically I enter a fire scene after the fire is put out. I recently was working a scene and I kept borrowing a fellow police officers knife and it got me thinking I should get something. I have been reading a bunch of reviews and so far I haven't found exactly what I want. The basic environment I work in is very dirty and normally a lot of black. For the most part I have been looking at tactical knifes but most of them are black or dark and if I ever put it down in a black burnt out house I would never find it again. From my searching the best knife I have found is the CRKT homefront. The reason I like this knife is its ability to be dissembled easily to be cleaned but from what I can tell they don't make a brightly colored one, so my search continues. I have looked at a few knifes for fire fighters but alot of these have seat belt cutters and glass breakers, both things I don't need. I think the best way for me to get some advise is to make a list of (knife musts) and then a list of (nice to have features).

Musts
- folding knife
- brightly colored
- locking closed and open
- work well in dirt and grim
- easy to clean
- easy to open one handed
- pocket clip
- 3-4 inch blade
- strong rust free steel, holds an edge and strong point

Nice to have features
- under $100
- partial serrated knife edge
- easy to disassemble
- Safety button

Thank you in advance for anyone who tries to help me out.

It might broaden your choices to learn that even all black knives can be made visible against black backgrounds by adding a fluorescent coloured lanyard fob to the butt end of the knife.

CRKT makes several knives with the same tooless disassembly “field strip” technology as the Homefront. These are the only knives I know of in your price range that feature a tooless disassembly.

However I second the motion that it might be better to just get a small fixed blade and that way you don’t have to worry about any of that. Fixed blades are inherantly stronger than any folder. Many of these shorter fixed blades can easily be worn in waistband with your shirt over the handle so no one will know you have it until you pull it out.

Last edited:
Like this Mora Companion, for example

KJTv3PM.jpg

I got these for my kids to take fishing and hiking. Bright colors, cheap enough to loose, and the sheath is awesome. Clips on and off securely to a belt or pocket even sweat pants.

OP, these are cheap enough to try it and throw it away if you don’t like it. I think you will find it is perfect for you.

THank you for your thoughts. I will probably end up with a pacific salt as it hits pretty much all my boxes.

Just be aware that the Salt series knives using H1 steel see the best benefit from serrated edges. I do not believe these come in a partially serrated combo edge style.

Check out the Native in LC200N. Using the Spyderco first responder/service member discount it can be had for under 100$. S ShaneInDenver provided you a link to info about this discount program on post #30 of this thread.

A Emerson Cqc-7 is a good option also. No fancy colors but would be a good cutting digging and poking stuff, rust resistant and easiy to tear down with simple tools. Could put a bright lanyard on it. L

First post. I am currently looking to find a work knife. I have been reading about a bunch of different knifes and I figured I should ask a knife community to see their thoughts. I work as a fire investigator, so basically I enter a fire scene after the fire is put out. I recently was working a scene and I kept borrowing a fellow police officers knife and it got me thinking I should get something. I have been reading a bunch of reviews and so far I haven't found exactly what I want. The basic environment I work in is very dirty and normally a lot of black. For the most part I have been looking at tactical knifes but most of them are black or dark and if I ever put it down in a black burnt out house I would never find it again. From my searching the best knife I have found is the CRKT homefront. The reason I like this knife is its ability to be dissembled easily to be cleaned but from what I can tell they don't make a brightly colored one, so my search continues. I have looked at a few knifes for fire fighters but alot of these have seat belt cutters and glass breakers, both things I don't need. I think the best way for me to get some advise is to make a list of (knife musts) and then a list of (nice to have features).

Musts
- folding knife
- brightly colored
- easy to clean
- pocket clip
- 3-4 inch blade

Nice to have features
- under $100
- easy to disassemble
- Safety button

Victorinox Rescue. I was a firefighter for 35 years on a busy urban department. This knife will work very well for you. Most people do not understand the environment you have to work in. Cutting is a small part of what you will be using the knife for. Nothing is perfect, but the Vic Rescue will serve your needs. Thanks for your service, and be safe.

Musts
- folding knife
- brightly colored
- easy to clean
- pocket clip
- 3-4 inch blade

Nice to have features
- under $100
- easy to disassemble
- Safety button

Something from the Spyderco Salt series in yellow. Just flush it out and call it good.

This was my thought too. They're mostly brightly colored and in either H1 or LC200N steel. They wont rust, ever. So when they get dirty you can just rinse them out and carry on. They're all fairly easy to disassemble too if you need to on rare occasion.

The native 5 salt would be great. I prefer lc200n to H1, better edge retention.

A bright orange mora companion may stand out but they're not aggressive looking and will just look like a tool of the trade to people.

Back