Off Topic Knife , knifing , knifed ! Prejudicial language , loaded with negative assumptions , by definition .

So in the kitchen or at dinner : spooning , forking your food is fine .

And you can cut , but you'd better not start knifing . šŸ„·

In the shop or on the job : hammering , sawing , scraping and even screwing is OK ...but knifing won't cut it . :confused:

The whole verb usage is primarily violently negative . To knife , knifing , knifed . šŸ—”ļø

This makes some sense for the word "gun" , but the overwhelming use for knives ,in the modern word especially, has nothing to do with violence .

It's difficult to overcome prejudice when it is encoded in your native tongue .

Maybe this is partly why some people get upset with anyone carrying almost any knife ?

After all , who wants to be "knifed" ! :eek:

It's a stupid word - "knifing".

In context of other tools being used with their associated verbs, some of them make sense. Eg. saw = sawing, hammer = hammering.

But "knifing" just sounds wrong, negative connotations aside. It's like using an axe and saying you are "axing".

Because we've been conditioned by our word usage . My whole point .

I don't mean it sounds "wrong" as in we've been conditioned to associate it with bad, dangerous, criminal etc. I mean it just sounds stupid. It makes no sense per my "axe" example.

In 50 years of using knives, I have never once been asked what I'm doing, and replied with "I'm knifing." Dumb.

Shame on Webster for even making "knifing" a word. We cut, slash, chop, stab, etc. with a knife, but we aren't "knifing" when we use a knife.

Last edited:
I don't get it, where do you want to use that verbiage where you can not? Seems OK enough used in context.

Another example.... When you are in your automobile, you aren't "carring", you are driving, right?

"Knifing/knifed" are silly made up words. I may have been stabbed with a knife. I may have been cut with a knife. But I have never been knifed with a knife.

True enough Doc, but once we develop rational capacity, we are no longer bound to the thoughts we inherited. We can evaluate them and keep whatā€™s useful, and modify the rest or let them go.

Weā€™re also then capable of evaluating other peoplesā€™ lack of critical thinking, and deciding whether itā€™s a valid basis for modifying our own.

I see your point though, we have plenty of non-tool specific verbs to describe cutting tasks. Is ā€œknifingā€ a media usage? Because if so, itā€™s only a small drop in the bucket of stupid shiite theyā€™ve spouted out.

Almost every day on the job, l carry a small hatchet. Seldom does anybody care, or express to me that they care. But occasionally, somebody will comment on it, and I just shrug and keep working. I have decided not to engage in conversation about irrational fears, among other topics, or listen to/watch the media that encourages them. I have no basis for relating to them, and nothing useful to say.

Parker

True enough Doc, but once we develop rational capacity, we are no longer bound to the thoughts we inherited. We can evaluate them and keep whatā€™s useful, and modify the rest or let them go.

Weā€™re also then capable of evaluating other peoplesā€™ lack of critical thinking, and deciding whether itā€™s a valid basis for modifying our own.
That describes a tiny percentage of humanity. šŸ˜‚

Back