Off Topic Knife , knifing , knifed ! Prejudicial language , loaded with negative assumptions , by definition .

No at all ! Real words but with negative violent meanings , mostly .

Real words that never should have been made real. They are simply media buzzwords that caught on to imply something more sinister. Again, you aren't "axing" when you use an axe. Why are we "knifing" when using a knife??? Completely stupid, meaningless and unnecessary verbiage.

Another example.... When you are in your automobile, you aren't "carring", you are driving, right?

"Knifing/knifed" are silly made up words. I may have been stabbed with a knife. I may have been cut with a knife. But I have never been knifed with a knife.
Oh, surely, but I meant, like, where in society is someone gonna flip their lid if you say "I knifed some cake"? If anything, folks may find it funny. I do not get the premise. Language conditioning to be against knives or something

Real words that never should have been made real. They are simply media buzzwords that caught on to imply something more sinister. Again, you aren't "axing" when you use an axe. Why are we "knifing" when using a knife??? Completely stupid, meaningless and unnecessary verbiage.
Verb
He died after being knifed in the chest.
ships knifing through the waves

^^^from the OP dictionary reference you might want to take a gander at .

I thought if you got knifed that meant you were stabbed to death and no longer alive and a knifing was where someone got stabbed like The Donnybrook got out of hand and there was a knifing and poor Mick got knifed.

Real words that never should have been made real. Completely stupid, meaningless and unnecessary verbiage.

"Knife " is a common everyday word that has been perverted by negative usage .

Obvious to me and yes it matters how common words are defined and used .

Hearts and minds !

I thought if you got knifed that meant you were stabbed to death and no longer alive and a knifing was where someone got stabbed like The Donnybrook got out of hand and there was a knifing and poor Mick got knifed.
I agree. Almost like getting shanked.

I think that is his point knifed has a negative violent connotation.

I think its just quirky English language. Not a conspiracy

Getting hammered has nothing to do with a hammer.

Getting screwed doesn’t involve a screw driver. (But you can shank someone with a screw driver)

Getting axed means loosing your job.

You park on a driveway and drive on a parkway.

Last edited:
Verb
He died after being knifed in the chest.
ships knifing through the waves

^^^from the OP dictionary reference you might want to take a gander at .

Again - ridiculous. He died after being STABBED in the chest. "Knifed" should never have become a word. What if an axe was used? Would he have died after being "axed" in the chest? Or what if a toaster was used to cause blunt force trauma? Would he have been "toastered"? Or an automobile fatality being called a "carring"? Or an assault with a baseball bat being called a "batting"? Attacked with scissors and calling it "scissored"?

One of my colleagues just investigated a domestic call where the husband hit his wife with a lamp. I can guarantee his report did not refer to it as a "lamping" or state the wife got "lamped".

It is stupid, and doesn't happen - except in the case of knives apparently.

Are you not seeing the lunacy/fallacy of using words like "knifed/knifing"? Webster is trying to take a noun and imply it can also be a verb. And in this case, they are wrong. Sorry, not sorry.

Last edited:
I think it’s just part of the way our language works.

We sometimes like to use the name of the object as a verb to emphasize/exaggerate the activity.

He was “clubbed” to death.

“Gunned” down.

They went “hot-rodding” down the street.

You could say “he was killed with a club” or “shot” or “they drove their hot rods”, but the impact of the words isn’t the same.

Saying someone was “knifed” is just an exaggerated way of saying stabbed or cut. I don’t believe it has anything to do with knives beyond the fact that they can be used as weapons.

I think it applies to many weapons and other things.

Again - ridiculous. He died after being STABBED in the chest. "Knifed" should never have become a word. What if an axe was used? Would he have died after being "axed" in the chest? Or what if a toaster was used to cause blunt force trauma? Would he have been "toastered"? Or an automobile fatality being called a "carring"? Or an assault with a baseball bat being called a "batting"? Attacked with scissors and calling it "scissored"? One of my colleagues just investigated a domestic call where the husband hit his wife with a lamp. I can guarantee his report did not refer to it as a "lamping". It is stupid, and doesn't happen - except in the case of knives apparently.

Are you not seeing the lunacy of using words like "knifed/knifing"? Webster is trying to take a noun and imply it can also be a verb. And in this case, they are wrong. Sorry, not sorry.
Maybe broaden your reading list ? 😒

Maybe broaden your reading list ? 😒

You are not understanding what I am saying, no matter how hard I try or how many examples I provide.

I am simply saying it should never have BECOME a word. Not in the context of "knifing" someone, or being "knifed". You stab someone, or you get stabbed. Just like my example above - you don't hit someone with a toaster, and have it referred to as getting "toastered" or a "toastering".

Webster is completely and totally wrong on this one. Some nouns are not verbs. Period.

You are not understanding what I am saying, no matter how hard I try or how many examples I provide.

I am simply saying it should never have BECOME a word. Not in the context of "knifing" someone, or being "knifed". You stab someone, or you get stabbed. Just like my example above - you don't hit someone with a toaster, and have it referred to as a getting "toastered" or a "toastering".

Webster is completely and totally wrong on this one.
Maybe stick to arguing about knives . Dictionaries are The final authority for word meaning and usage .

Words just don't mean whatever you think they should mean . :rolleyes:

Maybe stick to arguing about knives . Dictionaries are The final authority for word meaning and usage .

Words just don't mean whatever you think they should mean . :rolleyes:

Use some common sense and refer to my examples, and you will see that words like knifing or knifed should not exist - at least not in the context of using the name of the tool being used, and trying to make it a verb.

Unless you think and agree that the wife in my post above, got "lamped". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back