Knife laws in New Zealand?

Those in the know please advise. What are the current restrictions on fixed blades and folders, blade length, opening mechanisms, carry options. Thank You for the education...

NZ laws basically say you can carry a knife if you have a legitimate reason for doing so. Of course, it's not you that gets to decide if your reason is legitimate.

It's worth reading the PDF you can download here:
http://www.justice.govt.nz/publications/global-publications/k/knife-possession

This is from the 'Customs Prohibition Order' about illegal switchblades:
"Any knife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife (sometimes known as a flick knife or flick gun)."
Now this caught me out, when I bought an assisted opening flipper from overseas, and Customs confiscated it.
I pointed out to Customs where anyone can buy a knife of that type as they are readily available to buy in NZ, like this Kershaw Leek:
http://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/example1/KNIVES/FOLDING+KNIVES/-1660SWBLK.html
But Customs has the authority, and didn't accept this fact, and I lost the knife. Clearly, there needs to be clearer definitions on 'assisted opening' type folders and automatics (switchblades) so the authorities actually know what their dealing with.

Assisted openers are readily available here, but their expensive and the range is limited, so I buy from overseas. But its hit and miss if Customs find and confiscate it.

I was at the pub 3 doors from my house. My slingshot was at the bottom of my bag under groceries.
Someone said "What've ya been doing?"
Me "Rabitting."
Them "Bullshit."
Me "Nah. Look." & pulled out the no-name slaughterhouse skinner attached horizontally to the back of my belt & immediately sheathed it.
CS-500x.jpg

I went home & the cops turned up but didn't even confiscate the knife when I explained it was for butchering rabbits my JRT catches & for defence against any more APBTs that want to kill my JRT.
I've ordered a Svord 6" General Purpose coz the skinner is too curved for good APBT stabbing.

Last edited:
What's abpt? Thx for the info noddy.

Illegal in public places without reasonable excuse? Wow that's vague... Would having something like a spyderco endura in my pocket be ok I wonder with an excuse that it is a general utility knife?

Last edited:
APBT- American Pit Bull Terrier=pitbull
He wants protection for any pit bulls that try and kill his JRT=Jack Russell Terrier

Folders are legal to carry in public provided they are not assisted or gravity opening and the blade is under 100mm. For larger blades a legitimate reason for carrying is needed such as camping, hunting, tramping, work etc etc.

I've had many flippers (not assisted) sent over with no issue from customs, a few of the packages were inspected by customs and got through no prob.

Banned are - concealed blades such as buckle blades / walking stick swords, double edged blades such as daggers, auto and assisted blades.

I edc a 3.5" Hinderer XM-18 and a para 2.

When I want to take this - (knife, not the cat) I need a good reason otherwise I am presumed to be up to no good.

Onion2_zps6215a72a.jpg~original

I always have at least one, usually 2 folding knives on me, often an AO. I find the thing is to not be giving a uniform the reason to be asking why your carrying a knife.

I have black pocket clips and deep carry clips that help keep my EDC'ers inconspicuous.
I usually have a very sharp folder in a zipped vest pocket, along with a few business cards for knife sharpening as I do this for people with my Wicked Edge. My 'reason' for having that sharp knife in my pocket is as an example of my work. All true.
As to whether thats a 'legitimate' reason, well, that can go any way they want it to.

It's easy to say, 'oh thats my work knife officer', because it is, but if it's my Barrage 581 I can see the officer getting all excited. 'Cos he just doesn't understand what is and isn't a 'flick knife'.

It's about being inconspicuous and sensible, about playing the odds. I dont walk around with an Extra Large Espada sticking out of my pocket even though the knife is perfectly legal. It attracts attention and just looks like something that would excite the local constabulary.
'Why are you carrying this pirates pocket sword then sonny?"
"That's my paua knife officer, I was going diving this arvo". Yeh, right.

Having said all that, I live in small town rural NZ, so it's a bit easier for me than city dwellers.

Thanks a ton gents. I feel better. I'll be camper vanning the south is, so I'll have the camping excuse. Nice NMFSH...I would bring mine but I'm only bringing knives that I won't cry over if confiscated.

I always have at least one, usually 2 folding knives on me, often an AO. I find the thing is to not be giving a uniform the reason to be asking why your carrying a knife.

I have black pocket clips and deep carry clips that help keep my EDC'ers inconspicuous.
I usually have a very sharp folder in a zipped vest pocket, along with a few business cards for knife sharpening as I do this for people with my Wicked Edge. My 'reason' for having that sharp knife in my pocket is as an example of my work. All true.
As to whether thats a 'legitimate' reason, well, that can go any way they want it to.

It's easy to say, 'oh thats my work knife officer', because it is, but if it's my Barrage 581 I can see the officer getting all excited. 'Cos he just doesn't understand what is and isn't a 'flick knife'.

It's about being inconspicuous and sensible, about playing the odds. I dont walk around with an Extra Large Espada sticking out of my pocket even though the knife is perfectly legal. It attracts attention and just looks like something that would excite the local constabulary.
'Why are you carrying this pirates pocket sword then sonny?"
"That's my paua knife officer, I was going diving this arvo". Yeh, right.

Having said all that, I live in small town rural NZ, so it's a bit easier for me than city dwellers.
Seems like you are a man of good common sense. I do the same thing. I carry a 4" folder on a daily basis, completely concealed in the right front pocket of my trousers. My choice is the Cold Steel "Voyager". I live in Massachusetts, which has strict laws against carrying anything that can be considered to be a weapon. I have carried 4" folders concealed since I was 17 years of age. I am almost 53 years old now and never had a problem with police concerning this. Concealed means concealed. The less police see, the better. Best wishes to you!

Hi,
Im going to NZ in two months and Id like to bring my Spyderco Resilence with me coz its my favorite EDC knife of all. But the blade lengh is more than 10cm - +-10,5cm. How does it work at the airport? Is the luggage scanned or something again? Just dont want to get in any trouble.. :)
Thnx

Lets say I wanted to give a card-knife to my cousin who is planning to visit the great land of new zeeland during the year. Something like this http://www.vat19.com/dvds/card-sharp-credit-card-folding-knife.cfm

As security if she ever end up in a hostile situation with no other option, the knife could be used to scare any attackers of or at least give her time to run away. Knowing her, I would be suprised if she ever even used it, even in the worsed kind of situation. She is abit naiv in that sense that she thinks nothing bad can happen to her, and I dont think she is mentally capable of using such a deadly weapon agains another person, even in self-defence.

So lets say she gets searched by the polis for whatever reason and they find a blade like this on her/ in her purse. What would happen then? (hard to convince anyone that it is a work-knife, it would be if she manages to convince any law-enforcer that the knife is purely for self protection and nothing else)

carry of a knife for self defense is illegal in NZ and Australia to the best of my knowledge. better bet would be a 111mm SAK because they are generally allowed due to "obvious utility purposes" I carry a SAK, or multitool most days. maybe a fixed if I'm out fishing. thats my reason for carry. don't be dumb, don't be flashy and don't be walking into a club with anything sharp. easy done.

linking to non-supporting sites is against the rules guys. In either case it would be best to google the NZ import guidelines yourself and decide if that bayonet shaped object is going to be close enough to the rules either way way.

Back