Knife Making Startup Costs....Need Input/Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have compiled a spreadsheet of all the tools I could think of that I would need to startup my knife making venture. If anyone sees anything that I'm missing, input would be greatly appreciated.

Belt Grinder(chassis)
$840.00
(www.beaumontmetalworks.com Model-KMG-PL)

Belt Grinder Motor
$260.00
(www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com)
(1.5hp 1800rpm 3phase TEFC finned cast aluminum body)

Belt Grinder VFD
$450.00
(www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com Model-KBAC 27D)

Belt Grinder Addt'l Components
$325.00
(www.beaumontmetalworks.com)
(Small Wheel Attachemnt Model-SWF)
(Aluminum Spare Tooling Arm Model-STA-ALUM)
(1/2"-1" Small Wheels Model-SWR-500, 750, 100)

Grinding Belts
$400.00
(www.trugrit.com *assortment*)

Drill Press
$200.00
(www.craftsman.com Model-ZJQ4116D)

Drill Press Vise
$75.00
(www.amazon.com Model-Grizzly G1064)

Etching Machine
$200.00
(www.usaknifemaker.com Model-*Personalizer*)

Buffer/Buffing Supplies
$250.00
(www.pjtool.com Model-10" Dual Speed Buffer/Accessory Kit)

Sheath Press & Rivet Press
$150.00
(www.knifekits.com)
(Rivet Press Model-KYRD-PRS)
(Sheath Press-Handmade with 1" Standard Foam)

Vacuum Chamber/Stabilizing Resin
$300.00
(www.turntex.com Cactus Juice Chamber & Resin)

TOTAL STARTUP COST$3,450.00

are you starting a hobby or business?
Lot of money to drop. You might find out you don't even like knifemaking

I would say some of both, I have a contact with a fortune 500 company that I have shown my knife design to and the area manager of this region wants to buy 50 blades, I'm hoping after a meeting tomorrow the other 6 area managers in North America will want an additional 50+

you could really get by without a bunch of the stuff. now if you are going to sell them, then the list looks good. how many knives have you made so far?

how long is it going to take you to make 50 knives? you are sending out for ht?

I would say some of both, I have a contact with a fortune 500 company that I have shown my knife design to and the area manager of this region wants to buy 50 blades, I'm hoping after a meeting tomorrow the other 6 area managers in North America will want an additional 50+

have you made any knives yet ?

Going from a drawing, to 100 knife orders with no experience leaves you no time to learn the skills.

Forget buffing, shiny sucks

forget Vacuum Chamber/Stabilizing Resin
Send it out to WSSI or KnG for pro results.

You're missing a thousand things, drill press but no drills etc.

Haven't made one yet but once I get everything together I'm going to set aside 4-8 blanks to get it right. Only thing I have to perfect is grinding the blade, everything else is going to be manufactured locally by others

Well you are jumping into the deep end for sure.

If you are going to have orders from the get go... I suggest you have your designed made for your first run of 100.

You have no idea of the nightmare you are setting yourself up for trying get it right with 4-8 blanks.

If you want the blanks to be of quality for the first 100 contact Jeff Mutz at Trugrit. He can make the blanks.

For a newbie to grind 100 acceptable blanks you are going to be far busier then you ever imagined.

Well I have created a spreadsheet for a batch of 50 and the complete material list comes in at $4,400 for just about everything needed to complete the knives. I'm having the blanks cut out by a local company with Wire EDM, bringing them to Texas Knife Supply for heat treating and handling the rest myself. I still like to get my hands dirty somewhat....you saying that Jeff @ trugrit will grind the blanks or cut out the profiles?

I was thinking you missed a lot of things that we all seem to take for granted.

Safety gear: Glasses (maybe magnifiers), shields, gloves, leather apron, decent shoes, hearing protection, dust masks and dust collectors

Measuring gadgets: Calipers, micrometers, rules, carbide scriber(s), height gauge

A granite surface plate.

I think you'll need a bunch of files and clamps and a vise or 2

Various screw drivers, hammers, punches, pliers. magnets and wrenches

You might want a REALLY good workbench to screw the vise on and some lighting too. I decent stool.............

I could go on but you get the idea here

Only thing I have to perfect is grinding the blade

Grinding blades to a level of perfection suitable for selling is not something to underestimate. I've made half a dozen knives and for me at least the improvement in quality is slow. Having the right equipment will help.

If I had to make 100 of the same thing in a hurry with my current skills I think I would contact a CNC house to produce the blades and then do the sanding, handles, and finish work myself. Though depending on the type of handle, handles can be difficult too.

I don't mean to be discouraging in the slightest, go fill some orders!

That's a very large undertaking. Have you considered looking into having the blades CNC machined, including the bulk of the bevels on both sides? This may leave you with only having to touch the bevels on the belt grinder before sending to heat treat.

It would save an unmeasurable amount of time, improve quality, and save you from being in a bad spot when you likely figure out that it will take much more than 7 practice blades to perfect a grinding technique.

From personal experience, it takes many hours (days) to make a very presentable knife . . . especially for someone who hasn't been making them daily for years. I generally assume that I put about 40 hours into each knife that I make and sell. At that amount of time and relatively low selling costs, I'm working for less than $8/hr. That's why it's a hobby for me rather than a business.

Good luck,

Jeff can grind your blades and heat treat them as well.

He might kick me for sending him more work....but you have a tall order on your hands and Jeff could help you out.

With a variable speed grinder and a grinding jig of some sort, you could actually pull it off, IMO, even with limited experience.

Pass on the stabilizing and buffing equipment. ptj industrial has cheaper motors than Wayne, although Wayne is a good fella, and electricmotorwholesale.com has cheaper VFD's than you found. You won't need a drill press vice. Use a clamp, vise grip, etc and save your money there. You will need a bench vise, likely. Etching machine, sure, but you'll need stencils also. I'd be REAL surprised if you could get 100 knives out of $400 in belts.

I still think you're in over your head and don't realize it, but you may surprise me.

Oh boy.

I am an optimistic person.

I feel that for most everyone with your lack of experience, this task is unattainable as you have laid it out. But maybe for you, it will all be ok. Peace.

I am curious about the time needed to make 100 knives. For those makers with experience, what would be your estimate to complete such an order in terms of hours?

Haven't made one yet but once I get everything together I'm going to set aside 4-8 blanks to get it right. Only thing I have to perfect is grinding the blade, everything else is going to be manufactured locally by others

I am curious how you arrived at 4-8 practice blanks to achieve a level of quality suitable to sell?

I'm no pro but if I had all day everyday, 100 finished knives would take me 6-9 months. Heck, maybe longer. Good luck bud. Hope your a quick learner.

A lot of the supplies like basic hand tools and workbench tools, I already have. I have been researching heavily (to the point where my wife has gotten agitated nightly) have gotten excellent hints and designs on knife grinding jigs. I have a background in furniture making, basic carpentry and extensive CAD design; I feel I am ready to take the next steps in the production process of the knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back