Knife Making Startup Costs....Need Input/Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this in another thread, it seems to fit here...................

Having never cut metal on a bandsaw I don't have a sense whether this would be...
A) a disaster. Won't work.
B) a dangerous disaster. It'll seem like it's working just long enough to get you to relax and then start eating fingers, eyes, etc.
C) a pain but passable for the occasional cuts.
D) not that bad if done carefully.
E) "all yall are full of crap and I know better, it won't be any problem cause secretly I KNOW I'm a knife making ninja master, bro, and I can just do ANYTHING I want if I just try har... oh hold on, just got fragged,can't tpye and shoot at the same time... ok respawned. I thought the doc said rit'lin would help that. ok respawned. oH, what whas I saying? Oh yeah, that I'm CRAP I JUST SPILLED MY MONSTER/REDBULL/COUGH SYRUP COCKTAIL ON MY CAT, um, whatever. Not sure why I'm even asking cause I got skilz you never dreamed of, I just haven't actually, you know, used them yet. Though I did carve a katana out of a stick at camp once or twice. or maybe 20 times. And there were those throwing stars I made out of mom's cookie sheets... HOLD STILL Kitty! Hey, YOU lick you all the time, why can't I? Just let me get that off you. Seriously you dumb cat, that's the last of the codiene syrup..."

I have confidence in you. You can do it! ... If you have 6 months that's just 1.92 knives/week. :thumbup:

I read this in another thread, it seems to fit here...................

Having never cut metal on a bandsaw I don't have a sense whether this would be...
A) a disaster. Won't work.
B) a dangerous disaster. It'll seem like it's working just long enough to get you to relax and then start eating fingers, eyes, etc.
C) a pain but passable for the occasional cuts.
D) not that bad if done carefully.
E) "all yall are full of crap and I know better, it won't be any problem cause secretly I KNOW I'm a knife making ninja master, bro, and I can just do ANYTHING I want if I just try har... oh hold on, just got fragged,can't tpye and shoot at the same time... ok respawned. I thought the doc said rit'lin would help that. ok respawned. oH, what whas I saying? Oh yeah, that I'm CRAP I JUST SPILLED MY MONSTER/REDBULL/COUGH SYRUP COCKTAIL ON MY CAT, um, whatever. Not sure why I'm even asking cause I got skilz you never dreamed of, I just haven't actually, you know, used them yet. Though I did carve a katana out of a stick at camp once or twice. or maybe 20 times. And there were those throwing stars I made out of mom's cookie sheets... HOLD STILL Kitty! Hey, YOU lick you all the time, why can't I? Just let me get that off you. Seriously you dumb cat, that's the last of the codiene syrup..."

Which ever one floats type boat I suppose

Well for S&G I called Jeff Mutz and was surprised at the coSt for him to getting the bevels and heat treat my blades. It's actually about the same price for him to do both steps than for Texas Knife supply to just do the heat treating, looks like I'll be sending the blanks to him and when I get them back 'they'll be ready for handles' as he said.......

This is not worth anyone's time. I suggest leaving Mud to reply back to this forum when he has a prototype or progress to show. Until then, it's all talk and no walk.

He's simultaneously maintained two different "epic" threads on two of the largest knife making forums by replying constantly throughout each work day and weekends. I don't know how anyone can maintain this with a full-time job work load, and spouse.

I regret that I've even managed to "walk" back into this to post this comment but it is very poor form, in my opinion to publicly announce what type of relative pricing was received from a potential vendor (i.e. TruGrit) for contract work/labor such as grinding and heat treating of 50 knife blades.

Last edited:
I have one question. Are you gonna etch your name/mark on blades ground by someone else?

I have one question. Are you gonna etch your name/mark on blades ground by someone else?

Yes I'm going to etch my name/mark on the blades that I designed and will assemble and finish them. Same way as when I design a house, my name is on those plans, if a engineer designs the foundation for that house, his seal is on the foundation, what's your point? Also if there's a problem with one of the blades or if someone is interestedin the design or something along those lines, they will know who to contact .

Last edited:
This is starting to go down hill. I am going to close this thread. The topic has gone far more into selling and prices than the rules allow for a registered user anyway.

Madupree - You can start a new one on your knifemaking skills and learning when you have photos of your progress, but will need to keep all sales discussion out of it.

Nothing more to see here folks....move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back