Knife or Death season 2: titanium sword

I’m gonna get to say, “...yea, I knew him when everyone else thought he was crazy, now they all know. “ ;)

Dude it musta killed you not bein’ able to say anything. I give you a lot of credit brother, if it was me I woulda had to tell someone. :)

Well done and well deserved, I could see how exhausted you were by the end. Anyone thinks it’s easy is crazy.

Congratulations again, I’m as happy as if I’d won.

I’m gonna get to say, “...yea, I knew him when everyone else thought he was crazy, now they all know. “ ;)

Dude it musta killed you not bein’ able to say anything. I give you a lot of credit brother, if it was me I woulda had to tell someone. :)

Well done and well deserved, I could see how exhausted you were by the end. Anyone thinks it’s easy is crazy.

Congratulations again, I’m as happy as if I’d won.

Ty! All I can say is, it's harder than it looks, and thank goodness the editors have a lot of material to squeeze into an episode or you'd probably see a lot more of me and everyone else hyperventilating and looking confused. :D

You did look exhausted. I'm a big dude, I'd be gassed after the first swing.
How much time was there between your runs?
BTW, that blade sliced through some of those targets so cleanly I think if I had been you I would have lost a limb.

Last edited:
You did look exhausted. I'm a big dude, I'd be gassed after the first swing.
How much time was there between your runs?
BTW, that blade sliced through some of those targets so cleanly I think if I had been you I would have lost a limb.

The second part was later in the same day, so not much time to rest.

I just fired up the DVR and saw the episode, so let me add my congratulations to the rest. Anybody who has taken a tree with an axe or a serious clearing with a machete knows how taxing sustained chopping is, both to the body and to the mind, trying to get the job done and lose no limbs or blood in the process. I can only imagine the effect of the ticking clock on the process, tempus fugit. That is a hell of a blade you made, too. I admit to looking back in slow motion to see if the titanium was deadening vibration or behaving differently than steel, because I live to nerd. I am definitely feeling the need to get one of your blades, and I am looking forward to seeing the finale. Good Luck (if it's not already in the can)!

I just fired up the DVR and saw the episode, so let me add my congratulations to the rest. Anybody who has taken a tree with an axe or a serious clearing with a machete knows how taxing sustained chopping is, both to the body and to the mind, trying to get the job done and lose no limbs or blood in the process. I can only imagine the effect of the ticking clock on the process, tempus fugit. That is a hell of a blade you made, too. I admit to looking back in slow motion to see if the titanium was deadening vibration or behaving differently than steel, because I live to nerd. I am definitely feeling the need to get one of your blades, and I am looking forward to seeing the finale. Good Luck (if it's not already in the can)!

Thank you!

To get a similar experience, tape two toilet paper rolls over your eyes so you can tunnel-vision everything, play a cacophony of sound and voices along with some quiet high pitched ringing from some loudspeakers, and then try to E-Honda a couple of pallets apart with a blade as fast as you can! :D

Thanks Odog, I answered him in the other thread. I'll repost here:

What makes it work is:

-The alloy is hardened to a fairly hard level, enough to stay sharp under impact
-The hardness achieved is magnified by the sheer toughness of the alloy (acts harder than it is)
-The toughness is increased by the shock-absorbing rigid flexibility of the alloy
-The above characteristics allow the blade to be quite thin yet remain stable
-The blade design is refined to take advantage of all of the above
-The thin blade is able to be used with great speed and power
-"Speed kills." -Dan Keffeler

The sword used on the show was not as good as most of them, it was an alloy untested as a big blade and I rated it as an "average" ti sword blade.

Going to repoast something from the other KOD thread that was a good piece of information to add:

Interesting. Is there a reason you decided to go with that blade, and not one you had used/tested previously?

This is the only photo I have of the first sword made for the show, the fat one on the right:

v9HFr31.jpg

It is Ti Nb alloy, with the HT oxides preserved which is what I wanted to bring. However, the handle was not comfortable enough when I beat the blade as hard as I could into something solid like a log, and I couldn't get a 2-handed grip on it with space between the hands. It was also not representative enough of the blade shape I'm generally going for.

So I took some of the other alloy which was already in plate form rather than square bar stock like the ti nb, and was way easier to forge in general just because of its properties, as well as easier to grind and HT, and just whipped up a big mecha-style blade from it, and finished it the day before the deadline to send it off to the show people.

Thanks Odog, I answered him in the other thread. I'll repost here:

What makes it work is:

-The alloy is hardened to a fairly hard level, enough to stay sharp under impact
-The hardness achieved is magnified by the sheer toughness of the alloy (acts harder than it is)
-The toughness is increased by the shock-absorbing rigid flexibility of the alloy
-The above characteristics allow the blade to be quite thin yet remain stable
-The blade design is refined to take advantage of all of the above
-The thin blade is able to be used with great speed and power
-"Speed kills." -Dan Keffeler

The sword used on the show was not as good as most of them, it was an alloy untested as a big blade and I rated it as an "average" ti sword blade.

Average C+ Ti blade in your eyes, and you destroyed the course. Amazing if you ask me. I can only imagine what an A graded ti blade would do.

You were VERY impressive with that Ti sword. I was a bit scared when you first showed up with it, as I wondered how it would get thru the really tough stuff...being so light. Well, you showed me how well it works, and how well you handled the course.
Just think...next season everyone competing will show up with a titanium something.
:)

Just saw the shows.

You did a hell of a job. That Ti impressed the hell out of me. The tougher the object was, the easier time it seemed to have. A hell of a thing really.

I’m just a little upset that they may rise above prices I can reasonably swing.

Great promotional material for your product. There can be no doubt now.

Just saw the shows.

You did a hell of a job. That Ti impressed the hell out of me. The tougher the object was, the easier time it seemed to have. A hell of a thing really.

I’m just a little upset that they may rise above prices I can reasonably swing.

Great promotional material for your product. There can be no doubt now.

Thanks! :] It's true, that the harder you hit the ti, the harder it hits back until the point of failure. There were a lot of inquiries about pricing and blades after that show aired, but only a couple serious ones. The prices are all over the place anyway, as each one is handmade with different features and level of finish, etc., and I'll be damned if it isn't the strangest thing that the more broke I am the lower the price gets, LOL! So everything is still the same, except now I finally proved definitively that these ti blades I've been refining can do real work. Which goes a long way to bringing them about as a real part of sword history!

Back