Knife or Death season 2: titanium sword

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Throughout the process of developing highly functional real titanium swords, there have been a few notions repeatedly brought up against them that are incorrect...sort of. Each of them is a reason why titanium supposedly can not make a "real sword," which we will define as "able to perform similar tasks as a good steel sword." They are:

-Too brittle
-Too soft
-Too light

It turns out that, with the wrong alloy and/or bad processing, the first two can easily be true, so I don't blame people for thinking it's the case. The third one is simply due to misunderstandings about swords and how they work, and titanium alloy properties, which is also understandable. The problem is that this gets repeated constantly and reinforced by anonymous internet "experts."

In order to truly make titanium swords a real thing, these stubborn notions need to be defeated once and for all.

The science alchemy metallurgy doin's behind making a good titanium sword is more complicated than I can quickly explain, but my counter argument to the above is basically:

-Titanium alloys normally are not brittle, and are used specifically because they are the opposite of brittle.

-Titanium alloys are often formulated to be soft because they are used for structural purposes, but there are certain alloys that can be made plenty hard enough for a sword through heat treatment and processing.

-Titanium alloys are not especially light, in fact for a sword-sized blade they are an ideal weight and if anything open up more design possibilities.

In my opinion, the right ti alloy, with the right design and work put into it, is excellent for sword or machete use - the properties are damn near perfect, at least for what I'm trying to create...

Nevertheless, out there in the world the big question still persists: Can a titanium sword really work?

Enter Knife or Death.

This TV show has many dozens of people of all walks of life using a huge variety of blades to cut and smash their way through obstacles, many of which are damn near trying to break one's blade or otherwise render it unusable. To put one of my titanium alloy blades through the course would be the perfect way to show, incontrovertibly, indisputably, undeniably, that it can hold its own with what a steel blade can do.

.....or to be exposed as the soft, brittle, glorified aluminum the anonymous internet experts say it is.

What will it be, folks?

Is titanium really able to make a functional sword or machete that can do work similar to a good steel version? o_O

Or has the entire titanium sword presentation been smoke and mirrors the whole time?o_O

Am I crazy? A blatant liar? A con artist? Simply mistaken and ignorant about large blades, and in for a HUGE reality check on the KoD course? o_O

Will the light weight make the blade unable to cut? o_O

Will the ti alloy blade shatter to pieces on a block of ice? Will it wrap itself into a pretzel around a hanging fish? Will it flop off of a rope like an unsharpened noodle? o_O

No one knows.

But they can all find out when the titanium sword episode airs, soon! :D

Last edited:
What...

Hope you are building up inventory.... I’ve been eying your work for too long, and the timing hasn’t worked out for me.

Congrats on what I imagine will be great PR for you. And hopefully you will have the patience and/or help to deal with the masses who expect to pick one up on the cheap.

I will be so obnoxious when it airs..... "I know that guy, I know that guy!!" He is a friend from Bladeforums (in my best Thor impersonation). It is always awesome on forged in fire, or knife or death to have people compete that I've met in real life, or "know" through Bladeforums.

Last edited:
What...

Hope you are building up inventory.... I’ve been eying your work for too long, and the timing hasn’t worked out for me.

Congrats on what I imagine will be great PR for you. And hopefully you will have the patience and/or help to deal with the masses who expect to pick one up on the cheap.

Mainly been building up on tools to make the blades better and more efficiently, and some fantastic ti alloy stock with which to make them.

I will be so obnoxious when it airs..... I know that guy, I know that guy!! He is a friend from Bladeforums (in my best Thor impersonation). It is always awesome on forged in fire, or knife or death to have people compete that I've met in real life, or "know" through Bladeforums.

Bwahaha! :D I hope my performance doesn't disappoint!

Yellow Alert: It looks like the titanium sword episode of KoD is tomorrow evening (Sept. 5), in an episode titled, "Seax and Violence."

Be sure to tune in if you want to see a C+ -level ti sword blade in action!

Yellow Alert: It looks like the titanium sword episode of KoD is tomorrow evening (Sept. 5), in an episode titled, "Seax and Violence."

Be sure to tune in if you want to see a C+ -level ti sword blade in action!
Haha hell yea! Pumped to see it in action. The one you had at bladeshow was AWESOME.

Go Sam go!!

That was impressive brother. I had no doubt, let’s see how you fare in dead run. I’m rootin’ for you.

Dude, that was awesome. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Dude!!! Fantastic!!!:thumbsup:. Flood gates are gonna open!!! Congrats!!!

#paradigmshift

Cherry on top...winner winner chicken dinner!!!:thumbsup::cool:. Great job Sam!!!

Last edited:
Wow!!!
I don't watch much tv but that was impressive.

Back