Knife or death

I just watched the recording with my wife.
The Moabolo would wear me out too fast with that much action.
So guessing in order I would say BB13CG stripped and convexed, my Banned AK or maybe even a stripped Butaniku would be my top picks. I would have to practice with all three a bit to figure out which one would be best. BB13 being the lightest but with the one hand compromise. The other two are heavier but offer longer reach, more velocity and two hand option. Tough call, but I'm game. :D

I just watched the recording with my wife.
The Moabolo would wear me out too fast with that much action.
So guessing in order I would say BB13CG stripped and convexed, my Banned AK or maybe even a stripped Butaniku would be my top picks. I would have to practice with all three a bit to figure out which one would be best. BB13 being the lightest but with the one hand compromise. The other two are heavier but offer longer reach, more velocity and two hand option. Tough call, but I'm game. :D

Throw your name in the hat!

AND...I need to watch this show!

I feel like the contestants went in blind. Otherwise different knives would of been used. 8” Bowie :confused:. I’m sure as season went on and the course leaked people will brought longer, stronger knives, and people will clear entire course. My Busse choice knowing course would of been skinny MOAB or long gladius. Speed really isn’t a concern when no one can make it through entire course. Physical strength played a huge roll. .02.

As the show matures, I would expect pretty consistent blade designs, younger more athletic contestants and smarter techniques. As I was watching, I kept thinking, why waste the edge on the ice or wooden box when the spine would likely do just as well.....

n2s

I feel like the contestants went in blind. Otherwise different knives would of been used. 8” Bowie :confused:. I’m sure as season went on and the course leaked people will brought longer, stronger knives, and people will clear entire course. My Busse choice knowing course would of been skinny MOAB or long gladius. Speed really isn’t a concern when no one can make it through entire course. Physical strength played a huge roll. .02.

Sometimes there is no replacing the value of pure strength...I need to watch to see what this thing is all about! Just don't turn on the tube that much anymore...

I wish they would change the name.No one is going to die in this show. History seems to have a bit of a secret agenda on coloring the public mind set of blades. Not a good thing,if they can ever get the guns the next thing will be blades just like what is going on in Europe right now.
Remember the History Channel cancelled Mail Call because they didn't want to glorify the military. Seems at odds with their programing.

We should all submit an entry to be casted, if one of us can get on the show with a FFBM or a HogB8 should be an easy $10000 win :D

I watched the show and commented to my wife that my knives would hold up better than the ones on the show. But its really not as much about the knives as it is about the skill and athleticism of the contestant.

Thats a lot of swinging. A competitor would need a lot of strength, endurance, and concentration, as well as the proper blade to complete the courses.

I have to say, I really liked the Cowboy's blade.

1311 and I wonder what the thickness of those blades were. MountainManDu that SR77 is tough stuff

It would need to be polished, but I think you might have something there. Weight is a double edged sword (pun intended). Weight improves knife strength and kinetic energy, but blade velocity imparts even more energy, so it has to be a balance. A competitor designing a knife would want a knife that he can swing to the his optimum physical velocity balancing weight and body mechanics with blade design, durability, and his physical attributes.

I think the coming Mountain Man Du in SR77 with the thinner blade stock (.22) might be good if the blade can hold up. SR77 is tough enough.

It was obvious that the black fellow on the show chose the wrong type of knife for his strength, intensity, and physical capability. Of course, he chose a knife for a knife fight, not an exercise in chopping.

What is needed is a study in optimizing bio-mechanics with knife design for that type of competition.

A double edged blade might be good if it was optimized for chopping on one side, leaving the other side to be optimized for a slicing.

Sorry, I just love thinking these things through.

Last edited:
As the show matures, I would expect pretty consistent blade designs, younger more athletic contestants and smarter techniques. As I was watching, I kept thinking, why waste the edge on the ice or wooden box when the spine would likely do just as well.....

n2s

That was my exact thought, but mainly for the ice. You could use the spine on the thin side of the box, but I think the frame needs a blade. IDK

That's why a double edged blade optimized on each side for chopping or slicing might be worth trying.

That's why a double edged blade optimized on each side for chopping or slicing might be worth trying.

Go smatchete!

EWSK-1261-Product.jpg

n2s

The first hurdle is finding a strong cardio monster to run the course possibly a cross fit or Spartan racer.

Ok... who’s going to be the bad Mo fo who rocks that course with a Busse. Hit it with a TGLB and that’s the money, it’s getting released right after.

I'd honestly give it a go with my ASHBM. I'd just put a screaming sharp edge on it beforehand and go for it. :thumbsup:

Back