• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Knife Scribes are ready

Hey Folks,

Please forgive me this question. What is the advantage of using a scribe like this over just using your calipers?

I learned to just measure the thickness of your profiled and surface ground blade, deduct the thickness of the edge you want to have left when done grinding (for the HT, maybe about .006 or so), divide the difference by two, set your calipers to it and run it along from both sides for scribing a pair of nice lines.

Do you do something similar with this scribe? What's the advantage. It sure looks cool.

Thanks, Phil

Phil,
I have done it both ways and prefer an edge scribe. The advantage for me is that because it (the scribe) is so much more robust that any of my calipers, the marked lines can be deeper and more vivid. Unlike using calipers, setting up the edge scribe to mark your blade is more of an eyeball kinda thing than math kinda thing, so I mark from both sides of the blade and usually end up with a double line. I actually like the double line a little more than a perfectly centered single. My scribe is a much cruder example than the one offered here and I bet I paid more for it too.

Phil,

Calipers will work fine but you will compromise the accuracy of the tool by marring up the points. I used to do it this way and eventually had to have my calipers reground. As techna mentioned, the scribe is a bit more durable and robust.

I made one similar to this and it works great. Much better than calibers IMHO. Just lay your blank on the flat adjust to center and run it around and you have a nice solid line all the way. For this price and quality it would be hard to justify a do it yourself one. The only thing I have seen that is better is Nick Wheeler who uses a granite slab and a height caliper with a scribe tip. The advantage is it works on a forged blade with the flats ground flat.

For stock removal work this is a great tool at a great price. I love this place for stuff like this.

Very slick, just purchased mine.

I have been registered here for about an hour and already have found a great little addition for my grinding bench. :thumbup:

I'll be watching for the mail man.

Thanks

Mike

Very slick, just purchased mine.

I have been registered here for about an hour and already have found a great little addition for my grinding bench. :thumbup:

I'll be watching for the mail man.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike. It will be shipped today.

Bill

Back