Knife shops, factories & museums of Spain.

The museum is excellent, a huge display of old traditional Spanish knives plus sections displaying old knives from many countries & city's of the world. Sadly photography wasn't allowed else I'd have pages of them to show!

8XsgiCm.jpg

The building is deceptively small, a huge underground area has displays & a projected film in English if requested, sadly all other info is in Spanish but that doesn't detract from the great knife displays.
Chairs stacked outside as there was a stage & live bands playing on an evening.

There are many old photo's in the museum of different knife sellers over the years that have taken advantage of the train station to sell their wares, the style of selling knives from a slung bag is an image seen all over Albacete, a famous statue shows the same.

YjXo75i.jpg

fPq1S5v.jpg

akV3Tqi.jpg

Seeing as I had the time & was staying very near to the industrial estate that is home to a few famous Spanish makers I couldn't help taking a few pics. I had hoped for maybe factory shops but they are purely factory's, I enjoyed the challenge of finding them though. :)

rK1qPbG.jpg

bnC1p8N.jpg

YFflOYC.jpg

Arcos, famous for kitchen cutlery.
zGydLOZ.jpg

The search for factories led to an excellent knife shop on the industrial estate so that was good fortune.

JOG3Q3v.jpg

Back in Albacete center I visited this shop.

lxiZT09.jpg

Owned by the very nice Juan Luis Vergara where he has a great displays of knives much of them made by him, a very talented knife maker.

lANhl0M.jpg

Knives made by Juan.

sFbbFwQ.jpg

LKSv9Nl.jpg

I couldn't help myself & left with this lovely carbon slipjoint in teak & Bull's horn.

NO3MOrC.jpg

WnAQEGV.jpg

55DexzV.jpg

Very pleased I am with it too!

If I am visiting larger cities in Spain, I am also looking out for knife shops. Unfortunately, many have closed over the last years years, like one that existed for generations in Malaga.
I picked up a few pieces here and there, not always Spanish, as they sell SAK's and Laguioles to.
A joker
GdQdwNg.jpg

A small Benitez
1evejt0.jpg

Cudeman MT1
TCriYGy.jpg

Muela
3hVG02C.jpg

From a few others I don't have pics, a wood scale toothpick from an unknown brand, and an Aitor swiss army knife variant - much larger then a SAK.

Last edited:
Back in Albacete center I visited this shop.

lxiZT09.jpg

Owned by the very nice Juan Luis Vergara where he has a great displays of knives much of them made by him, a very talented knife maker.

lANhl0M.jpg

Knives made by Juan.

sFbbFwQ.jpg

LKSv9Nl.jpg

I couldn't help myself & left with this lovely carbon slipjoint in teak & Bull's horn.

NO3MOrC.jpg

WnAQEGV.jpg

55DexzV.jpg

Very pleased I am with it too!
Muy hermoso
:thumbsup:

I've just found this YouTube video that is one of the videos shown in the museum.

It's a great insight into a Navaja being made in the traditional way with just hand tools.
The only bit that struck me when I saw it in the museum is the use of rebar as blade steel. To be honest it is probably as good as steel available at the time, & by the look of the rib pattern on the bar it's not the lowest quality.

I've just found this YouTube video that is one of the videos shown in the museum.

It's a great insight into a Navaja being made in the traditional way with just hand tools.
The only bit that struck me when I saw it in the museum is the use of rebar as blade steel. To be honest it is probably as good as steel available at the time, & by the look of the rib pattern on the bar it's not the lowest quality.
Fascinating stuff. Thanks.

Just got back from a stay over in Jerez & Cadiz, Jerez didn't have any shops worthy of showing but Cadiz had a small sharpener who sold a few knives, a lot were Spanish Albainox who sadly are getting everything produced in China now but there was some nice stuff as well.

Casa Serafin, one of the oldest businesses in Cadiz.
uq6RJ12.jpg

oECzUNx.jpg

uimrQO8.jpg

The real treat was about 15 miles inland from Jerez in a small village called Junta De Los Rios (where the rivers join) in a Venta (roadside stop) of the same name.

Venta Junta De Los Rios.
1EDAqKL.jpg

The bar inside, see on the wall down the end......
2kIO0dF.jpg

The bar from the other end!!
dLDKxqm.jpg

:)
jNQrGZc.jpg

Nearly all "Flores Cortes" knives made in Don Benito, Spain with some Opinel & others thrown in.
My only complaint is they are all stainless, but I still succumbed to temptation ;)

mzJguji.jpg

Thanks for the tour I'mSoSharp I'mSoSharp :thumbsup: Amazing to watch the knife process through such stages. Lots of crude before the refined product. Big one too!

Sadly the last time I was in Spain (early 90s) I was more interested in girls (well one very lovely in particular) than I was in knives.:rolleyes: Oh well, it was a wonderful visit nonetheless. :)

If I ever get back there I will certainly visit Albacete and visit with @ArtesaniaHerreros - himself - José. Not likely but a good dream. As one can't have all the lovely ladies, one can't have all the lovely knives either. What kind of a world would it be if Ray had all that o_O Though - I can admit to having some lovely knives - Spanish & otherwise - and being had (present & future tense) by a lovely wife - Scottish & no otherwise. ;)

Ray

Last edited:
RayseM RayseM , when you visited Spain was it to stay at "hotel" Rota by any chance?
Rota is just around the corner from the places above.

RayseM RayseM , when you visited Spain was it to stay at "hotel" Rota by any chance?
Rota is just around the corner from the places above.

No - once I spent 2 nights in Cadiz before boarding a schooner for a transatlantic sail, traveling by bus from Madrid to Cadiz. The last time I was there for more than a month living with my girlfriend near Barcelona. Spent most of our time up and down the Costa Brava. Would love to go back. I felt much at home on both of my travels through Spain.

Ray

As many of you will know my reason for mentioning Rota is because of the U.S Naval base there, Jerez & Cadiz in the previous posts are just around the corner.

Below are images of a shop in Fuengirola (Malaga) on the south coast, the owner has a pretty nice display of Spanish made folders & fixed blades (sadly pretty much all stainless..).

oVItcHk.jpg

1wWRj2i.jpg

y8zZEoR.jpg

hEgRtf1.jpg

I've just been for a week in Granada & visited a couple of very nice knife shops (that are next door to one another) so thought I'd share them here.
As I'm planning to visit more knife related places soon I thought I'd open a thread, it might help anybody visiting to find something of interest as Spain still has a fairly healthy cutlery industry.

rhYFB4C.jpg

The two shops.
x9uBZGu.jpg

l2NNBWf.jpg

IiEmnAg.jpg

LEIV7pe.jpg

Many more displays similar to these displaying everything from wall hanging tourist tat through factory traditionals & modern plus hand made.
I bought a couple of traditionals that I'll get some pics of & post up soon.

The shops-
https://www.google.com/search?q=el+llavin+de+oro+cuchilleria+granada&oq=el&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i61l2j69i60j69i59.3191j0j7&client=tablet-android-pega&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:17571858267129923543,rc_q:Cuchiller%C3%ADa%20J.Ruiz%20-%20El%20llav%C3%ADn%20de%20oro,ru_q:Cuchiller%C3%ADa%20J.Ruiz%20-%20El%20llav%C3%ADn%20de%20oro

https://www.google.com/search?q=cuchilleria+nunez+ruiz+granada&oq=cuchilleria+nunez+ruiz+granada&aqs=chrome..69i57.13486j0j9&client=tablet-android-pega&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:13990824341611267894,rc_q:Cuchiller%C3%ADa%20Nu%C3%B1ez%20Ruiz%20-%20Hoja%20de%20Acero,ru_q:Cuchiller%C3%ADa%20Nu%C3%B1ez%20Ruiz%20-%20Hoja%20de%20Acero

that store looks great, you've taken great pictures of those knives, totally beautiful

Back