Knife Squeamish (and what do you use instead)

Walking Man

BANNED
Hi, I'm Walker and I'm Knife Squeamish.
I do not use my very favorite knives!!!
Why this is I don't know!!!!
In a way it doesn't even make sense because one of my favorite users is a MOD trident. I also use a Spyderco Jot Singh Khalsa quite often. And an Al Mar SERE

My beaters include:
Gerber EZ Out
Tops Seal Pup
CRKT M16(one of the smaller models)
Spyderco Calypso (small)
Benchmade Terzuola aluminum handles, modified Wharnecliff blade knife
(only because I dropped it, but that turned out to be a good thing, until you consider the fact I misplace it all the time because it's soooo tiny)

Okay, maybe I'm not that knife squeamish when you get down to it, but I don't use my very best knives. It seems my price range for users runs at around $100 cash (not actual worth)
What do you do?

I only buy a knife if I have every intention of using it. Somewhere in the back of my head there lives a gremlin who tells me that if I buy a knife and don't use it, that means I'm buying for show, and if I buy knives to show them off my penis will shrivel.

I don't see anything wrong with the knives you're using. I say, "Buy what you like, use what you like."

Personally, I've used and carried all of the most expensive knives I have, with no hesitation. But, I still have less expensive knives that are still NIB, and it has nothing to do with my not liking them. I just haven't felt the need....Go figure.

Originally posted by Walking Man
:eek: :barf:

You've got issues.

Hey, it's not me, take that up with the gremlin. But I warn ya, for a little guy's got one helluva set of teeth on him.

Very simple rule I live by: You only live once and life is to short. If you want something and can afford it after the important things, then buy it and use and enjoy it, any of us could not be here in a hour or a day and that knife setting on a shelf not being used never did us any good then.

I started rotating my two prettiest knives to carry to work exclusively - two Delta Z linerlocks, one with Olive wood scales and one with cow horn. I swore to myself I would use them as EDC's come what may, and if they took some scars, that would just add character. Well..the other day I needed to remove a staple from a small set of "handout" sheets...and I wussed out. I just couldn't do it. To be fair, I wasn't worryied about scratching the blade, but causing more permananet damage like chipping or bending the edge. Instead I reached for the old carbon steel Colonial trapper I keep on my desk. (you thought I was going to say I reached for a staple remover, didn't you!).

I must confess to using beaters all the time. I save my "heavier duty" (G10, ATS-34) knives for pocket carry (lol), but if I need to cut something and my EZout or Delica is in reach, I always use them instead. What's funny is, I would never use a POS tool if I have my Craftsman's around, yet I am reluctant to use my good knives.

Originally posted by SilverFoxKnows
[BI don't like to let my things own me. [/B]

My feelings exactly.

If I own something it's going to get used as often as possible.

There's no reason to get a fine knife and then let it sit unused, especially if it's a production piece that can be easily replaced.

I always carried every knife I owned, including some double edged stuff that I wouldn't risk carrying today, until I came to BladeForums. Now I find that on a couple of occasions, I've bought a knife and liked it so much that I bought a second version, usually with a special finish or steel. An example would be my Microtech Socom Elite. Bought it, started carrying it and loved it so much, I bought a special Tactical S-90V version to keep in the safe as a pristine collectable version. I did this with Benchmade 941s as well. I'm pretty sure it'll happen again. I guess I could carry the special edition versions instead of the regular ones, but I plan on leaving my collection to my son, many years in the future, and I think it would be cool for him to have a couple pristine special examples of the knives I did carry and use every day to compare to the actual knives I carried. Besides, sometimes these things actually become more valuable over time.

I do have one problem though, I used to have a small plain Sebenza which I lost. I finally replaced it at the recent Solvang show with a small unique decorated Sebenza with a stone inlay. I can't bring myself to carry this thing. I know it's a Sebenza and nearly impossible to hurt, especially with the new S30V blade, but it's so pretty, I'm afraid to scratch it. I fell like I ought to get another plain one just for a user.

Confused

jmx

If you are honest about it, the bottom line is that there are only so many knives that you can use. A half a dozen knives will comfortably see anybody through a lifetime. You can test a few more, and upgrade your users along the way. But, eventually you will grow comfortable with a few knives and the rest of them will simply sit in a collection. There is nothing wrong with collecting knives for the sake of collecting knives. The fun comes as much from chasing down rare examples, and meeting many good friends and acquaintances along the way, as it does from using knives.

So hang them up on a wall, put them in a safe, or go out and use them. The only thing that matters is that you enjoy yourself.

n2s

Another incredibly wise answer from N2S
You must either be a Jedi or the Dalai Lama!!!!

i generally rotate my knives around, but i always end up back to my old EDC's, just comfort reasons i guess
but some occasions call for smaller knives, so ihave to leave my Police at home and carry the Native, or the Point Guard, but that usually sits in my desk drawer for "drawer cutting", like the Access Card is for "Emergency cutting"

when i'm really dolled up, the Black Chive is what i carry, but for stupid reasons, i do not have mine right now :mad:

aXed

I buy all my knives with every intention of using then and have no reservations about losing their factory edge or getting them a little scratched or anything like that.

I find that with my growing collection its hard to get them all into any kind of regular rotation so many of them do end up just sitting and some never see any type of use.

Recently I have purchased several knives and the thought of actually using them scares the heck out of me. I get them and open and close them a few times and in the storage case they go. Every once in awhile I take them out and go through the same ritual, open and close and then back they go. The thought of scratching them or worse yet getting them dirty keeps me awake at night! Why do I buy them then without the intention of using them......cuz I am nuts I guess. I like the fact that when someone comes over and I show them the "collection" and I open the cases and there is all that steel in there glowing and shining, I like the look in their eyes. I don't think that I would get the same look if they were all scratched and beat up.
Maybe I want to keep them in "MINT" condition in case I ever run into a situation where I need to sell them. I am sure that I would get better money for something that is brand new, mint condition, never been used!
Maybe one day I will just say the hell with it and live life on the "edge" and just start carrying them. I have often asked myself, if I have no intention of carrying them then why do I buy so many, the only answer I can come up with is that I love knives, love to buy them, love having them none of which means that I HAVE to use them. Am I right or should I seek some professional help?????

I have the same problem; I have beautiful drawer queens with perfect edges, and then I have 'users.'

I'm fighting this urge to make everything perfect, but the joke is now on me.

The most expensive knife I own (a Strider SnG) has become the beater I use to protect my Microtechs, and their average price is +/-250 bucks.

Life is too short, use the good stuff, although I admit that there isn't a lot of practical use for some of the drawer queens. In the end, some dufus relative will inherit your collection and he'll use you Darrell Ralph's for prying.

If there is a knife I really like I will often buy at least two. One in my collection one to use ( and if I like it alot, sometimes an extra).

If I own it I carry it at sometime or another, some are carried more than others, but hey that's life, I hang out with some friends more than others:confused: .

When someone comes up with a way to "take 'em with ya" I'll start collecting. Until then, they're all users, and subject to sale or trade. In fact, I'm taking a bunch of drawer queens to the local gun/knife show this weekend to sell or trade them off.

I buy most knives with the intention of using them. However, now that I have so many, using them all is kind of out of the question. Recently, I purchased a couple of knives that are collectibles. I own knives from the same maker that I carry and use. However, these 2 are non-replacable and I choose to keep them mint. Most of my knives are bought with using in mind, even if they only sit on a shelf. I buy them because of their usability, but they don't always get used. This is not do to being scared of scratching or hurting the blades, this is simply do to the fact that I only carry 1 or 2 (at the most) knives on me. I want to use them, but simply can't get around to using them all.

JR

Back