Knife that didn’t live up to the hype.

I agree with Emerson, Strider, Hinderer, and Medford being overrated. Although the Medford slim midi is a great knife, it seems to be an outlier for what they typically do. I also sold my two Olamics. It’s not that I thought they were bad, it’s just I preferred other knives at the same price point.

I disagree about the Paysan. I actually like it better than the Nirvana. To be fair, I really like knives w/ a thin profile (hence the slim midi/Paysan) and I picked up the Paysan for $350 used. I may not have liked it as much if I paid full retail.

I think that CRK’s are overrated. The action on my Sebenza was absurdly stiff and it was as dull as a butter knife when I received it new. They make lefty versions which is the only reason I still have it.

Last edited:
For me a string of Spydercos:

Para3 due to not scaling down width along with length and terrible clip placement to accommodate a mostly useless lanyard hole.

Mantra due to fragile bearing system and weak detent.

Nirvana due to a variety of quality issues, but a very premium price.

Smock due to all of the design changes vs the SK45 that just make it so much less than it could have been.

Paysan due to odd proportions and ergos, and a really, really premium price.

Having said that, I still love how Spyderco strives to provide seemingly endless variation and innovation. I guess you can’t get it right every time.

People all over the web went orgasmic over the FF/Massdrop Gent.
It's "meh."

PM2. The handle is too big and fat at the butt to carry very well in pocket (tip up, anyway), the blade is disproportionately small relative to the handle...

I felt the same way for a time. Then I started using the knife indiscriminately and it performed really well. I gained an appreciation for the PM2 through use. It's probably my #1 work folder now. (It's still a pocket hog, for what it is, IMO).

Last edited:
Emerson knives are seriously over-rated. Most knives have sub par fit/finish with mediocre steel and cost over $200. I understand the contribution Ernie has made to the knife industry … but come on !!! Where is the "new innovation" ? Brous is another over-rated brand.

I feel Hogue is seriously under-rated. Victorinox too … even though everyone has a few, fit/finish wise they are good value for money … but they don't usually get folks excited.

People all over the web went orgasmic over the FF/Massdrop Gent.
It's "meh."

I felt the same way for a time. Then I started using the knife indiscriminately and it performed really well. I gained an appreciation for the PM2 through use. It's probably my #1 work folder now. (It's still a pocket hog, for what it is, IMO).

I don’t see how the Gent is overrated at its price point. Finding a knife with that kind of action and steel sub-$100 is a steal imo.

The PM2. Before purchasing one, all I heard was praise for the ergos and effectiveness of blade. After getting it in hand, I had to ask myself, do people know what the word "ergos" means? There is no comfortable place to put my fingers on this handle. Grooves near the pivot that are too close together to use the choil for my index finger, then a swell in the middle that's too long for a 3-finger grip, and too short for a 4-finger grip. A butt of the handle with a pointy bit that digs right into my pinky. I suppose if I sharpened the edges of the G10 so I cut myself every time I use it, I could make it worse, but other than that, it's a design lesson in "sculpted does not mean ergonomic." Or perhaps "Skinny, flat sides do not a secure grip make."

Pretty please, Sal Glesser, ask Ken Onion to design a handle for a PM2 blade?

Emerson x 6 (or7).

Spyderco's compression lock. Feels very cheap to me (I like their old school lock backs tho)

On the other hand I've been pleasantly surprised with recent Cold Steel (Demko) models and Viper knives.

Reactions: P D
Any folder that features an Emerson wave. Seems like a dangerous design in my opinion, not to mention a pants pocket destroyer.

The Kershaw Natrix, it feels cheap.

I have one Busse, a Hell Razor 2. Though a very well made knife, I’m not sure it was worth the hefty price tag (especially considering it didn’t come with a sheath).

I’m still making my mind up about my brand new small Sebenza. It’s beautiful and engineered impeccably but so incredibly stiff. It’s far removed from the endless hydraulic smooth references that I read about. Also, in 2020, I question if s35vn should be the standard on a $400 knife.

Most underrated feature, the Spydie hole. I resisted any Spyderco for years thinking they were weird looking. In practicality, the hole is remarkably dexterous and a truly brilliant feature.

Most underrated knife, the KA-BAR Parangatang. It’s a really great blade that chops well above its weight class.

Any folder that features an Emerson wave. Seems like a dangerous design in my opinion, not to mention a pants pocket destroyer.

The Kershaw Natrix, it feels cheap.

I have one Busse, a Hell Razor 2. Though a very well made knife, I’m not sure it was worth the hefty price tag (especially considering it didn’t come with a sheath).

I’m still making my mind up about my brand new small Sebenza. It’s beautiful and engineered impeccably but so incredibly stiff. It’s far removed from the endless hydraulic smooth references that I read about. Also, in 2020, I question if s35vn should be the standard on a $400 knife.

Most underrated feature, the Spydie hole. I resisted any Spyderco for years thinking they were weird looking. In practicality, the hole is remarkably dexterous and a truly brilliant feature.

Most underrated knife, the KA-BAR Parangatang. It’s a really great blade that chops well above its weight class.
My Sebenza was super stiff when I first got it. They break in and get that smooth hydraulic feeling as you open and close it.
I never put it through opening and closing sessions while watching t.v. or anything, just carried and used it everyday.
When I disassemble, clean, and reassemble the knife, it starts out a little stiff but loosens up again after a few days.

The PM2. Before purchasing one, all I heard was praise for the ergos and effectiveness of blade. After getting it in hand, I had to ask myself, do people know what the word "ergos" means? There is no comfortable place to put my fingers on this handle. Grooves near the pivot that are too close together to use the choil for my index finger, then a swell in the middle that's too long for a 3-finger grip, and too short for a 4-finger grip. A butt of the handle with a pointy bit that digs right into my pinky. I suppose if I sharpened the edges of the G10 so I cut myself every time I use it, I could make it worse, but other than that, it's a design lesson in "sculpted does not mean ergonomic." Or perhaps "Skinny, flat sides do not a secure grip make."

Pretty please, Sal Glesser, ask Ken Onion to design a handle for a PM2 blade?
I agree completely. It really does benefit from aftermarket rounded scales.

The ZT 0909. I don't think it was hyped up per se, but the fit and finish I expect from ZT or any premium knife brand was missing. I loved the design and ordered one as they were being discontinued. The first one came uncentered, lock bar was discolored from heat it looked like, and had this gritty action where you could feel the bearings move. I exchanged it for another one at least 2 times and they all had the same issue, its like they were all lazily made on a Friday right before the shift ended.
Eventually decided to see if I could fix the gritty action at least. Loosening/ oiling the pivot didn't help, so I tried to take the whole knife apart. The body screws were so loctited that one stripped. At which point I threw it in my glovebox of shame, where it will forever be my car knife.

That's a bummer about your 909. I have one, and I was shocked when it was discontinued. It was a real workhorse of a liner lock with a very practical blade shape. Mine lives in my truck too, but it would be readily relied upon in an emergency. It may be my favorite all around ZT.

I dont doubt you though. Build quality has been a bit hit and miss for me when it comes to the last couple years of ZTs.

I'm going to add honorable mention of a knife I actually carry most every day: I'm kind meh on my Ultratech. The action is fine, but can be a bit finicky. I like the steel, but the wiggly lock up makes it less than ideal for fine cutting. Special care must be taken as to not let anything gum it up. Servicing the tool yourself is frowned upon by the manufacturer.

I carry it as a boot knife. Weighs next to nothing, clips well into my boot, stays out of the way, tango edge can be pressed into many roles. Still, $300 and it ends up being literally the 4th knife on my person I would grab.

Mora Garberg. I love Mora’s and have 5-6. But the Garberg was a $75 expensive disaster. Un-sharpenable. Period. Maybe a very bad heat treat? Now it’s a Scandi grind prybar. Only knife I’ve ever had that is truly awful.

Emerson knives are seriously over-rated. Most knives have sub par fit/finish with mediocre steel and cost over $200.

There seems to be a pattern of dislike for Emerson here. I've had worse knives than Emersons... like those Italian switchblades I bought as a kid in Tijuana, or those Pakistani knives.

I waited a year for Emerson to make me a left handed Commander. It's a piece of... shhhhugar. I sent it back, and they returned it in exactly the same condition. It's been a couple years, and I'm still pissed off every time I open the drawer and see that waste of time and money. Seriously, I can get better knives from China for 1/10 the price. I'd let this think go for less than half just so I don't have to suffer the mental anguish every time I look at it.

Maybe Emerson was something special back in the 80's, but in the 21st Century, he ain't nothin'.

I have not a single complain to make about Emerson's apart from the tacky marketing. They all perform very well and have incredible ergos. I confess that I bought all of them but one on the exchange at nice discounted price, and I feel that they are a very good bang for the bucks. I can understand that their F&F can disappoint some at MAP price, but they do cut, 154CM is well tempered, and I like their roughness and ease of maintenance (no torx!!!). But let's not derail the thread.

I don't think they are supposed to have a recurve? At least I've never noticed one in pictures or on mine.
Pretty sure it's not supposed to. I was a little suspicious so put in on a piece of glass, the middle doesn't touch. Not a bad knife but 'didn't live up to the hype' (still doesn't) IMO. It's really not like I can pin down any one thing as a fail but I've had it almost a year and probably only carried it a couple handful of times. I just don't gravitate to it.

The poorly finished opening holes on all the VG10 Japanese Seki-made Spyderco's I've had.

Spyderco S110V Paramilitary 2. My plain edge Spyderco H1 Tasman Salt 2 and all my Victorinox's will stay sharper longer.

ZT 0850. This one doesn't really count, because I haven't really read much hype about it. I suppose I hyped it myself? The lock walks significantly when cutting. The sub-frame bar moves in the handle, giving the false impression it has detent rock.

PM2 I like them well enough after I mod them a bit but the handle is just too short

XM-24 it's a likable enough knife until you need to cut something my AD cut's better, has an arguably superior lock, and arguably better ergos for a for a knife that's supposed to be for "hard use"

Buck 110's the pinned pig with a tip so delicate I've broken two not to mention blade play

Endura again a likeable knife after you smooth out the too small spyderhole

I disagree with everyone about Emerson I like mine quite a bit

Back