KnifeHead..NO WAY! and other Blade activity.

KnifeHead

My life, my lover, my lady is the C...Carbon Steel
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a nice way to open the official KnifeHead Blade Show Thread of images and musings. My name was pulled for a T.Bose ebony cotton sampler and you saw it here first.:D

Bastid got picked first, me second...gotta love that!:D

http://knifehead.com/images/knifehead-noway.AVI

Stay tuned for more....

That's The One You Drew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Tony put it, they had a horseshoe stuck somewhere. Tony pointed out one guy to me and said he had won one or two nearly every year. Do not know if he got one this year. I sure did not. :grumpy::grumpy:
James

Rock the house Bose Ho's !!

...Way!!! :D:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing Kerry.

Two things I have learned over the last 2 days. We are truly fortunate to have a great group of people participating here. I have seen acts of kindness by forum members that remind me that we kid around a lot and we use the term Bose Ho's, but I certainly did not spend any time around greedy people. (even when it comes to Tony and Reese's knives.) It is an honor to be a part of this group.

The other thing I have learned is that pulling that horseshoe out of my rear end hurts like crazy :D.

I don't know why I have been so lucky. God knows I don't deserve it, but I came home with the barlow today. 6th Bose knife in 8 years drawn in my own name (not my momma's;)) is way outside of the probability curve. I figure the odds today were over 1 in 200 per knife. I figured I had my run and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I found out I was drawn.

The Chamblin drawing was great for BFC members GigOne, Waynorth, CNAS122 and Riad all were drawn! Bummer for me is that this was the first time since Joel started having drawings at Blade that I was not drawn. I figured I better put in an order, so I hope to get a little time with him tomorrow pretty much to just get in a price ballpark and turn him loose on something he wants to do. His knives have been great for the 13 or 14 years that I have been following him, but he certainly raised the bar on himself a few notches this year, without a doubt.

CNAS also was drawn at Richards table and so was Blues. Like Joel, Richard also outdid himself this year. I did not see one multiblade on either of their tables that did not make me drool. They keep pushing themselves to new heights and for the life of me I do not know how they do it. There are some outstanding knives that Joel and Richard made that are now in the hands of some of those guys. I say some, because I also saw some acts of kindness to other collectors.

Don Hansen's slipjoints were, as always, stunning. I have never seen one of Don's knives that I did not go nuts over and that goes back to the days when he was the "sunfish man".

Jerry Halfrich's work was also remarkable. Awesome work from another very likeable guy.

Here is the secret that a few of us learned.
Mike Zscherny is making some fantastic patterns also. I have always liked his tacticals, His very smooth and precise work has also migrated to traditional folders and he nailed every one I got to see. I was so impressed I picked one up from him and placed an order also. It is obvious he also has a strong sense of the art of blending the blade and the rest of the knife together (there is a lot of the old Dog's influence there). Another great guy too so my criteria are met.

Lady's and gents, I got to also handle a few knives that this guy Knifehead has made.
Holly Mackerel this guy has it going on too. :thumbup: He had a few knives at blade that would thrill anyone who was into traditionals.

Jonny Stout's traditionals are also dead on. Bill Ruple has provided a lot of influence with Johnny. the whittler Johnny made for me is dead on in every respect. It is my second Stout mutiblade and I am very impressed. I know Holger will be thrilled the the Dr. Knife Johnny made for him since I got to CF it too.

Bill and Tony are great examples many knifemakers who keep no secrets from their peers and spend much of their time helping other makers progress. They are doing a lot more than making great knives, they are doing all they can to help others do the same thing.

Ryu delivered the knife that I posted in the Custom Sticky to me and it is exquisite. This is my first Ryu knife and I am thrilled with it.

I also got to meet Shigeru Tozaki and his wife at dinner and will be firming up an order with him. Amazing work and even though we had a little of a language barrier, meeting them both was a highlight for me. I really enjoyed their company. His wife makes hand made knife pouches as well as other types of pouches and purses. She is very gracious with a wonderful smile that would melt any language barrier. I am very thankful to Ryu for introducing me to them. Hopefully it is the start of another friendship.

Blues is going to go home with an extradanary bevy of traditionals, but I am not going to "steel his thunder" suffice to say each one is a drool causer.

I still stand by my words that I could spend the 3 days at Blade not coming home with a knife and it would still be among the best days of the year because of friends.

There is more to see tomorrow (people and knives) and I can not wait!

Last edited:
Thanks for this wonderful post, Gus!
It's the friendships that make these knives so special!
This forum has been such a Blessing to many of us!
Have fun & stay safe in Atlanta, my Friend!

Thank you for the most excellent post Gus. Coming to a show like this is a major sensory overload and I have no idea how a normal person can take it in enough to remember it and tell others about it as well as you did. But hey, you're the chief Bastid and have been blessed with abnormally superior BastidSkills. My hat is off to you sir :thumbup::cool:

I will be hitting the show floor tomorrow with the idea of loading up on knifemaking supplies and may possibly buy a knife or two.

Gus, thanks for sharing some of the fun you folksy folks are having, and for providing info about the makers you get to meet and interact with. I find it rewarding to think of my many BF friends gathering together and sharing good spirit.

Hearing from you all sure helps bridge the gap for some of us who did not make it this year.

Blues and Gus, don't believe the internet rumors about a fellow named Robasan planning a kungfu party and BFC Trad forum coup this weekend. It's all back scene talk, and I can assure you that the rockers will still be on the porch when you get home. ;)

I hope Mikey is selling a lot of titanium thongs, and that Gig and Vince get to ride in the Bastidmobile trunk rocker. :D

Kerry, please record all spontaneous sightings of Carl at Blade. :)

Don't think we were not thinking about both of you Ford and Sheila!

Great reports, damn you. Wish I could have been there. I know what I missed. Talked with Jerry Halfrich tonight and he was just amazed at the circus that is Blade. He owes me a lunch, having bet me that he wouldnt sell out. Like shooting fish in a barrel. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Gus, your luck is incredible.

Ford...I saw Carl last night flashin his nanner at the Case folks. :eek: It was quite embarrassing and so shocking that I didn't get any photographic evidence.:p I will be in papparazzi mode today and hopefully get some rare shots to share.

Two things I have learned over the last 2 days. We are truly fortunate to have a great group of people participating here. I have seen acts of kindness by forum members that remind me that we kid around a lot and we use the term Bose Ho's, but I certainly did not spend any time around greedy people. (even when it comes to Tony and Reese's knives.) It is an honor to be a part of this group.

The other thing I have learned is that pulling that horseshoe out of my rear end hurts like crazy :D.

I don't know why I have been so lucky. God knows I don't deserve it, but I came home with the barlow today. 6th Bose knife in 8 years drawn in my own name (not my momma's;)) is way outside of the probability curve. I figure the odds today were over 1 in 200 per knife. I figured I had my run and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I found out I was drawn.

The Chamblin drawing was great for BFC members GigOne, Waynorth, CNAS122 and Riad all were drawn! Bummer for me is that this was the first time since Joel started having drawings at Blade that I was not drawn. I figured I better put in an order, so I hope to get a little time with him tomorrow pretty much to just get in a price ballpark and turn him loose on something he wants to do. His knives have been great for the 13 or 14 years that I have been following him, but he certainly raised the bar on himself a few notches this year, without a doubt.

CNAS also was drawn at Richards table and so was Blues. Like Joel, Richard also outdid himself this year. I did not see one multiblade on either of their tables that did not make me drool. They keep pushing themselves to new heights and for the life of me I do not know how they do it. There are some outstanding knives that Joel and Richard made that are now in the hands of some of those guys. I say some, because I also saw some acts of kindness to other collectors.

Don Hansen's slipjoints were, as always, stunning. I have never seen one of Don's knives that I did not go nuts over and that goes back to the days when he was the "sunfish man".

Jerry Halfrich's work was also remarkable. Awesome work from another very likeable guy.

Here is the secret that a few of us learned.
Mike Zscherny is making some fantastic patterns also. I have always liked his tacticals, His very smooth and precise work has also migrated to traditional folders and he nailed every one I got to see. I was so impressed I picked one up from him and placed an order also. It is obvious he also has a strong sense of the art of blending the blade and the rest of the knife together (there is a lot of the old Dog's influence there). Another great guy too so my criteria are met.

Lady's and gents, I got to also handle a few knives that this guy Knifehead has made.
Holly Mackerel this guy has it going on too. :thumbup: He had a few knives at blade that would thrill anyone who was into traditionals.

Jonny Stout's traditionals are also dead on. Bill Ruple has provided a lot of influence with Johnny. the whittler Johnny made for me is dead on in every respect. It is my second Stout mutiblade and I am very impressed. I know Holger will be thrilled the the Dr. Knife Johnny made for him since I got to CF it too.

Bill and Tony are great examples many knifemakers who keep no secrets from their peers and spend much of their time helping other makers progress. They are doing a lot more than making great knives, they are doing all they can to help others do the same thing.

Ryu delivered the knife that I posted in the Custom Sticky to me and it is exquisite. This is my first Ryu knife and I am thrilled with it.

I also got to meet Shigeru Tozaki and his wife at dinner and will be firming up an order with him. Amazing work and even though we had a little of a language barrier, meeting them both was a highlight for me. I really enjoyed their company. His wife makes hand made knife pouches as well as other types of pouches and purses. She is very gracious with a wonderful smile that would melt any language barrier. I am very thankful to Ryu for introducing me to them. Hopefully it is the start of another friendship.

Blues is going to go home with an extradanary bevy of traditionals, but I am not going to "steel his thunder" suffice to say each one is a drool causer.

I still stand by my words that I could spend the 3 days at Blade not coming home with a knife and it would still be among the best days of the year because of friends.

There is more to see tomorrow (people and knives) and I can not wait!
You forgot that Blades&Grace got drawn at Bose also, he asked permission from Reese and got it to resell it. Reese told him, go ahead, he did not care.
Brent picked up an additional 400 before even paying for knife.
Way to go Brent. Looking forward to getting one of yours soon. The one you were showing was a knockout. So many great folks at Blade.
Jim

Way fun. (as an old girl friend used to say) Sounds like you guys did alright. Congratulations on the Barlow, Mr. Gus. Can't wait to get more after action reports from the other folksy folk.

Back