knifetests.com - destruction test of a HI khuk....

after the tests, i'll explain why i think a 12" model is a good choice to test.

it's in usps' hands right now.

I have a horn handled 12" AK, it chops about as good as my Becker BK-9. If you get the chance to use the blade before it dies, please do so. Good luck!

Heber

My Munk Chunk Cleaver made me a believer in HI. I did my own destructive testing so to speak, and it is awesome..

Individual variances being what they are... we could see anything along a wide spectrum... but I definitely love watching HI blades in action.. in my hands or another's...

Noss - go for it. I would love to see how she stacks up against some of the cookie cutter blades you have tested BB (Before Busse)

Munk Chunk Cleaver?

Quite the special run:D:thumbup: The MCC was the brainchild of our very own Munk using the original designs by forumite Cobalt for the knife that would come to be called the AK Bowie so many years ago. Cobalt's original design called for more of a drop point rather than a clip point along with a much thicker spine. The kamis being kamis decided to make it their own damn way, and what we got was the AK bowie you see today. (Still one of my absolute favorites, and I need one with a wooden handle:D)

Munk dusted off the design around late 2005 and asked Yangdu to have the edge made absolutely straight with zero recurve. He was wanting the ultimate heavy duty cleaver that would make full contact with the cutting board. The result was a knife that came in at 15" weighing 32oz and had a spine thickness around or above 1/2". There are only a handful out there. I am one of the lucky duckies to have scored one a couple years ago. It'll cleave through ANYTHING, pretty much. The only problem is that all the cleaving power really regulates it to just that...cleaving. However, I've used the heck out of mine. I don't think anyone without some serious mechanical assistance could break one.:thumbup:

can i put you down for $10???

then so far, you and i are the only donators...and the total is up to :

$20.....

Yes,
I have not read this whole thread. There was another forum member that IIRC pleged $50 when I brought this up several months back. I'll see if Ican find that thread.....

Are you planing on doing a 12 incher or a 15 inch Chiruwa AK? I truly believe we need an 15 or 18 inch CAK. A 12 incher is not going to cut it.

I don't know what all the wining is about! "don't hurt/break the khuk" Everything sould be tested to failure......cars, guns, electronics, knives, everything!

I can't wait to see the test....BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Yes,
I have not read this whole thread. There was another forum member that IIRC pleged $50 when I brought this up several months back. I'll see if Ican find that thread.....

Are you planing on doing a 12 incher or a 15 inch Chiruwa AK? I truly believe we need an 15 or 18 inch CAK. A 12 incher is not going to cut it.

I don't know what all the wining is about! "don't hurt/break the khuk" Everything sould be tested to failure......cars, guns, electronics, knives, everything!

I can't wait to see the test....BRING IT ON!!!!!!

i was thinking of sending in a standard 15"-16" CAK......

if none are available, i think a 15"-16" tin chirra would be a great substitute....

tin chirras have nice thick blades with a chiruwa handle....only difference is that a tin chirra has one more fuller in the blade than an AK.....

and to answer your question, magnum is sending in a 12" standard handled AK....

I'm sue I remember reading about someone testing a knife by chopping up concrete blocks and cutting thru a couple of old car bodies a couple of years back. Since the only forum I tend to check on is this one, I always thought it was an HI Kuk, but guess i could be wrong. Can't use search function here any longer, and in any event it seems the old posts have been archived elsewhere. Isn't there some other "old guard" who can settle this one way or the other?

I'm sue I remember reading about someone testing a knife by chopping up concrete blocks and cutting thru a couple of old car bodies a couple of years back. Since the only forum I tend to check on is this one, I always thought it was an HI Kuk, but guess i could be wrong. Can't use search function here any longer, and in any event it seems the old posts have been archived elsewhere. Isn't there some other "old guard" who can settle this one way or the other?

it's been done, and then some. "cliff stamp". google should find it.

that is all.

bladite

i was thinking of sending in a standard 15"-16" CAK......

if none are available, i think a 15"-16" tin chirra would be a great substitute....

tin chirras have nice thick blades with a chiruwa handle....only difference is that a tin chirra has one more fuller in the blade than an AK.....

and to answer your question, magnum is sending in a 12" standard handled AK....

Cool! I'm in!
A standard handle will not last long so a chiruwa is the only way to go. Can someone do a search under my name and find my thread on Knifetests.com? IIRC there were a couple guys willing to help pay for one to send in.

Our good forumite friend Roadrunner did a pretty extreme test with his chiruwa AK a few years back. The pics are gone, but it is a good read:thumbup:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270134&highlight=chiruwa

Why anyone would want to pay for someone else to break a knife ive got no idea?.
What satisfaction could you get from throwing your money away?
If you have one why not just test it to failure yourself its not like Noss has some serious high tech equipment or is doing something anyone else couldnt do in there garage or like.
That has to be more satisfying than see someone else break your knife IMO.

I believe you're refering to Dave Rishar's Foxy Folly trials he did back in '05.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357520
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357786
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359012

Bob

Be interesting to see how it holds up against the Cold Steel Machete.

I'm pretty sure I could go outside with any of my HI khuks and chop my Cold Steel Khuk in half. If I had the machete version it would take me less swings.

I'd love to see someone try to break a Munk or AK Bowie. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure I could go outside with any of my HI khuks and chop my Cold Steel Khuk in half.

Did you watch the CS Machete Destruction Test?
I guess we'll see how well the HI stands up since Noss will have one soon.
I'm sure it will do fine, but will be interesting.

Back