KNIPEX - Cobra XS Water Pump Pliers

I'm still not going to bite and get a pair, but I did happen upon something anybody who does have a pair might be interested in.
A website called Jersey discount tool company offers various colors of slip on rubber grips for these if anybody is interested.
I would probably go that route if I had a pair of these.

Wore out another apple charging cable. It lasted a almost a year in heavy car use.
For a few years I have been putting two layers of heat shrink tubing over each cable end to prolong life. The tubing just barely fits on the lightning end but it is a bear to actually get it completely past it. Knipex XS cobras to the rescue! The rounder part of the jaws with light pressure get it almost over the lightning plug then the tips of the jaws pull it the rest of the way. It’s amazing how useful those tips are for delicate tasks.
These things are so useful!View attachment 1886814View attachment 1886815View attachment 1886816View attachment 1886817

p454785143-6.jpg

Love the Cobra XS! Here is how I carry mine. I made a pocket organizer for the XS and the Ti3. I left the leather natural, and it is already starting to take on a nice patina. As you can see I am a novel leather worker, but it works for me even though there is much to improve.

Early morning yesterday I took a SAK and Knipex XS pliers on a shakedown ride for a bicycle I bought. Two handy tools for adjusting things on a bicycle.
The SAK was included in a box with something I bought here long ago. Can’t recall who the seller was but I thanked him and have used it quite a bit over the years.

View attachment 1966438

Finally got a pair of the XS Pliers Wrench earlier this year (thanks to Chad's Toolbox! :cool:).

Tried carrying both tools separately, but it just wasn't working. I drive right by a Tandy leather store everyday, so stopped in one day and picked up some scrap pieces (sold in a bag for $5), some thread, and some dye.

IMG_7175.JPG

Tried my hand in making a double sheath. :) Not too shabby if I do say so myself. ;) Learned a few things too. :D Double saddle stitched, all corner and end stitches reinforced.

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

Been carrying both in the back pocket like this for a few months now, and can't live without them! I use both pliers pretty often. The sheath works perfectly; It is just big enough, and keeps them in a perfect spot in my pocket without being too large. Not bad, not bad at all. ☺️

IMG_7673.jpg

Last edited:
A fellow saw one of my embossing options and asked me to make a sheath for his pliers using it, a single stamp that you can connect to make a group of them, then I used some high lighter to darken and bring out the details

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
I lost my 5" Cobra - thought I knew where, which meant it wasn't coming back. Naturally, I reached out to have Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley make a sheath for the replacement. It arrived on Monday - I grabbed it when I left for work, and opened it before going inside. Awesome work, as anticipated.
What wasn't anticipated was finding my old one in the front yard the next morning (gotta love finding treasures when the snow melts!).
View attachment 2083981
It was a path I don't usually take (driveway to mailbox across the lawn); so it easily could have stayed lost until Spring's yardwork. The sheath offered pretty good protection, and I'm thankful I coated it with SnoSeal.
Both the pliers and the sheath cleaned up nicely - pictured below alongside the replacements.
View attachment 2083982
The originals are back in my pocket, the new ones tucked away in case I need them in the future.

Always like hearing a lost love found again ;) and I was glad to help, but worried about how close to the old sheath I would make it, one thing about leaving things embossed lighter is that it is difficult to always keep the darker dye out, most cases you will see a lighter overall with black dye on the letters or numbers.
G2

worried about how close to the old sheath I would make it
You were much more concerned with that than I was, despite my attempt to assuage those feelings. Doing the H in black wouldn't have bothered me, either; though I do like it lighter, especially as the sheath gets scuffed and starts showing lighter areas with age. (I've been carrying that first one for almost 2 years!!)

Back