Off Topic Knives and fountain pens

ADBrown

Gold Member
Riffing on the recent thread of Knives and Magic Cards (and realizing there’s been sporadic mention of fountain pens, typewriters, etc.), I’d like to see what types of fountain pens, glass pens, etc. others collect along with their fine knives. I’ve a modest collection of 20+ fountain pens ranging from modest to “OMG you paid what for that?” They’re much like knives: it’s hard to have only a few, they require care and feeding, they all do pretty much one thing (albeit some with more panache than others), many are statement pieces, and most, if not all, are not lefty friendly.

So show off your fountain pens with your favorite cutters! I’ll add mine as soon as I’m more awake to see what I’m doing!

And don’t forget your favorite inks and paper; we nib lovers geek out on that stuff.

Workhorse, proletariat fountain pens only, for me. (As much as that may be a contradiction in terms, these days.)
BgOU78h.jpg

NB - I'm a lefty, and the Lamys work pretty well for me as soon as the nib is formed. They're great pens.

Workhorse, proletariat fountain pens only, for me. (As much as that may be a contradiction in terms, these days.)
BgOU78h.jpg

NB - I'm a lefty, and the Lamys work pretty well for me as soon as the nib is formed. They're great pens.
The Lamy line represents some of the best value in fountain pens available today. Rugged, reliable, great writers and easily interchangeable nibs!

I have a bunch of fountain pens but the 2 I use most are both Pilots. A custom 74 with a soft medium nib and a 912 with a music nib. I’ll try to get better pics tomorrow.

TljZ5Yw.jpg

But don’t sleep on nice clicky pens though! This BilletSpin Soul is definitely one of the nicest pens I’ve ever owned.

krLELWD.jpg

My "luxury" Lamy cost $48. It is, for a mass-produced low-end fountain pen, really great-looking.

Q1M6F5c.jpg

I bought this one (Lx) as a backup, and I still have never used it, because the $28 Lamy Safari I use every day simply refuses to die. I would like to get a wider nib for it at some point, but I wish finding the perfect knife were as easy as finding this pen was.

Edit - I have no idea why that picture is so big.

I have over a hundred pens, give or take. Three of my favorites are these:

pLvEpPe.jpg

The Venerable MB Meisterstuck 149
Pelikan M800 LE Blue Ocean
My daily driver, the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age

All three have my preferred, 18k Gold nibs. Simply perfect writers.

Back