Off Topic Knives and fountain pens

These are the best writing pens in my collection. They even have an “engine’” that returns ink to the cartridge while flying at high altitudes. The trellises and the wrap around nibs are 18k. My most flexible nibs are Pelikans.. The Buck Collector’s Club Inc. take apart Aluminum 110 offers several replacement scales for the Ironwood ones. You can even swap blades.

3EB40BAE-2529-40D1-9697-08D047EFCA5E.png

Last edited:
EGgLtXQ.jpg

An unknown (to me) Chinese company produced this "tactical" fountain pen, which I purchased a while back to replace my missing Shrade "tactical" fountain pen. Like its predecessor, this one has an aluminum barrel, screw off cap, a nib that writes and feeds flawlessly in all temperatures, a good adapter for bottled ink, and runs well on all brands of ink. It never leaks and features a nifty Lamy-knockoff pocket clip. Also stolen from Lamy, the grip area is triangular in cross section. It also has a surprise in its tail, a glass breaker/scribe. I never post the caps on my pens, so I do not need to remove the scribe cover at the end of the barrel, which is the only way to post the cap. I have yet to try out the glassbreaker as such, but it will scratch glass and metal.

I miss the bronze finish and smaller dimensions on that Schrade pen, but this one works just fine.

sSKHQRF.jpeg

PVSddEJ.jpeg

fqZPHvs.jpeg

s0VKKsW.jpeg

And a full pocket dump for the afternoon ...

FBxzGuJ.jpeg

Zieg

Last edited:
Love the tread so far.

So I have other pens but for the last 4 years the Pilot Custom 823 has pretty much been the only pen I've used. It goes with me to work every day, and everywhere else. I think I've had it for 9 years now.

This website is extremely bad for my health. That pen is gorgeous.

Is that an Old Guard? If it weren't a liner lock, I'd have bought one yesterday...great looking knife.

This website is extremely bad for my health. That pen is gorgeous.

Is that an Old Guard? If it weren't a liner lock, I'd have bought one yesterday...great looking knife.
Thank you. The pen is perfect for me. I've debated on trying out others but then it would take away from my time with this one. If you like smooth Japanese nibs and are OK with the price I recommend trying one out. The large ink volume works for me because I only use one bottle of ink at a time.

Yes the knife is a MBK Old Guard. I can't imagine disliking liner locks. For the work a folding knife typically does I can't imagine needing more. It's an amazing knife and has me questioning the rest of my collection. Currently doing one month carries of all my knives to decide if the will stay or go. This one is staying.

Being a lefty, fountain pens don't work for me. However, after spraining and straining my left wrist, I taught myself to write with my right hand. It's very legible, but slow. Maybe 3-6 months practice it will be more natural, and maybe get into fountain pens.

For now, I just had new Cross Ion arrive today. I love the triangular grip. I had 2 of these years ago, and missed it.

20220816_202947.jpg

Being a lefty, fountain pens don't work for me. However, after spraining and straining my left wrist, I taught myself to write with my right hand. It's very legible, but slow. Maybe 3-6 months practice it will be more natural, and maybe get into fountain pens.

For now, I just had new Cross Ion arrive today. I love the triangular grip. I had 2 of these years ago, and missed it.

View attachment 1902319
They used to make left hand nibs. Might be worth searching for.

They used to make left hand nibs. Might be worth searching for.

K.O.D. K.O.D. ,

https://www.penshop.co.uk/blog/tips-for-left-handed-writers/

Zieg

Last edited:
Mount Blanc Boheme and a LionSteel Roundhead in Ablelone.
View attachment 1902120View attachment 1902119
What a great combination!
I have over a hundred pens, give or take. Three of my favorites are these:

pLvEpPe.jpg

The Venerable MB Meisterstuck 149
Pelikan M800 LE Blue Ocean
My daily driver, the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age

All three have my preferred, 18k Gold nibs. Simply perfect writers.
Mount Blanc Boheme and a LionSteel Roundhead in Ablelone.
View attachment 1902120View attachment 1902119
Attractive combo!

Sorry - I'm a complete pen noob. Can you (or anyone) please explain what makes a pen right-handed vs. left handed?

I am enjoying all the pics, guys. :)
Two things, in my experience. One, the nib - the part that delivers ink to the page - can flex. If you're right-handed, that works to your advantage, and you pull this nice smooth flow of ink across the page. If you're a lefty, you have to push that nib instead of pull it, and it stutters, tears, spits ink, generally misbehaves. Second, the ink typically stays wet for a second or two, and a lefty will move their wrist over the new ink and smear it. Lefty nibs have been developed that are slanted in a different way than a typical nib.
I'm a lefty and I use a modern fountain pen with little to no problem, although once in a blue moon the ink won't flow right, or I'll smear a word.

Back