Knives & Nicotine, what form do you choose!!

jfk1110

Gold Member
I remember taking my old man's beech-nut chew at around 6 years old! It took awhile before he caught me. He sat me down and asked if I liked it! I did n I remember saying so. He smiled and told me to get a good mouthful of juice n.let him know when I was ready to spit!! MISTAKE!! He covered my nose and mouth!!!!!!
Pretty sure you know what came next!! Talk about turning green! I puked for a good while n was light headed too. I look back now and laff and get the hiccups!
Anyway, love my nicotine in all forms! Here are what's handy now!
IMG_20201013_061248.jpg IMG_20201013_061358.jpg IMG_20201013_061310_kindlephoto-104295106.jpg

I gave up the cigarettes on August 1st, 2012.
I'd smoked for over 50 years. (ever since 11 years old)

I'm reminded every day - when I use my Kershaw Lever Lock to slice open a new foil packet of Albuterol Sulfate - to use in the nebulizer so I can breathe.
COPD has ruined my retirement - since I can't walk more than 25 yards w/out getting winded.
The fabulous news is - I did manage to lose 110 pounds - which was enough to relieve a lot of pressure from my diaphragm & that allowed me to get off the oxygen for the last year.
That's only temporary though I'm sure. It will probably come back at some future point.

The saddest part? I bet I'd love a cigarette - or cigar - or a bowl (pipe) of Borkem Riff - despite knowing what I know - because I still love smoking.

V5OXA57.jpg

I'm reminded every day - when I use my Kershaw Lever Lock to slice open a new foil packet of Albuterol Sulfate - to use in the nebulizer so I can breathe.
COPD has ruined my retirement - since I can't walk more than 25 yards w/out getting winded.
The fabulous news is - I did manage to lose 110 pounds - which was enough to relieve a lot of pressure from my diaphragm & that allowed me to get off the oxygen for the last year.
That's only temporary though I'm sure. It will probably come back at some future point.

The saddest part? I bet I'd love a cigarette - or cigar - or a bowl (pipe) of Borkem Riff - despite knowing what I know - because I still love smoking.

I know one day I'll have to pay the piper. Ill be 50 in 3 weeks and have been chewing since early childhood and smoking since 9 years old too! I'm not ready to give it up, any of it! I remember as my marriage was headed down the drain , my ex would complain about me smoking and I'd say to her " its 3 less minutes I have to listen to you now and 3 less at the of my.life too! ". I guess I'll find out one way or another! Usually painfully is how I learn!

What was your motivation to quit? I have a family member who is about your age and smoked just as long, they have never been able to quit more than a week before giving in.

Money motivated me - purely a case of not being able to afford it anymore.
I went to the doctor & got a script for Chantix and gave it a try.
The Chantix was expensive - a few hundred bucks - which helped quite a bit.
In my mind, I had a good chunk of money invested in the Chantix - so - I had a decent incentive to make it work.
I set my stop date like they said & then blew right through it.
I set another and blew through that also.
Finally, I was down to my last pill & my last cigarette. I had to make a choice - call and have the prescription refilled or run out and buy a carton of cigarettes.
I decided to do the third option. I laid down for a nap.
When I got up an hour later, I figured I'd gone an hour without a cigarette - why not try for two.
Then it was try for a day. Then try for a week. Then try for a month. That was like 9 years ago & I haven't wanted a cigarette since.

But - it was all about the money. I had just retired & we were on a real tight budget - since I was only 59 1/2 & not on SS yet.
So - money was the motivation - but - Chantix is what worked.

jfk1110 - I don't mean to come across as preachy. I was exactly the same way before I quit. I had it in my mind that I would go out kicking and screaming for one last puff before they stuck me in the coffin.
The best part of quitting though was feeling free for the first time in decades. Smoking had become such a chore & it was getting increasingly hard to be a smoker.

I quit nicotine when the kids were born 30+ years ago. Smoked red Marlboros for 25 years. "Cowboy Killers"
Lately I've been enjoying a little legal medical grade cannabis indica in the evening. Helps with the sleep and arthritis pain.

I have one or two cigars per year. Probably not good ones. I don't consider myself a smoker, but I can understand the addiction, as I drink too much. Had 5 or 6 glasses of wine yesterday, from about 3 to 11 PM. :-\ Technically, I think that makes me an alcoholic, but I'm not ready to do anything about it.

My brother's a recovered alcoholic, but he chain smokes. It's always something.

Money motivated me - purely a case of not being able to afford it anymore.
I went to the doctor & got a script for Chantix and gave it a try.
The Chantix was expensive - a few hundred bucks - which helped quite a bit.
In my mind, I had a good chunk of money invested in the Chantix - so - I had a decent incentive to make it work.
I set my stop date like they said & then blew right through it.
I set another and blew through that also.
Finally, I was down to my last pill & my last cigarette. I had to make a choice - call and have the prescription refilled or run out and buy a carton of cigarettes.
I decided to do the third option. I laid down for a nap.
When I got up an hour later, I figured I'd gone an hour without a cigarette - why not try for two.
Then it was try for a day. Then try for a week. Then try for a month. That was like 9 years ago & I haven't wanted a cigarette since.

But - it was all about the money. I had just retired & we were on a real tight budget - since I was only 59 1/2 & not on SS yet.
So - money was the motivation - but - Chantix is what worked.

jfk1110 - I don't mean to come across as preachy. I was exactly the same way before I quit. I had it in my mind that I would go out kicking and screaming for one last puff before they stuck me in the coffin.
The best part of quitting though was feeling free for the first time in decades. Smoking had become such a chore & it was getting increasingly hard to be a smoker.
Inspiring story. Funny thing is, this family member doesn't have much ... But somehow always has enough to buy a pack :confused:

Although I will be honest, there's a very real appeal to some of these slip joint and pipe pics :D

Never smoked a store-bought cigarette in my life. Started on the Wildwood Flower as an adult, about 40 years ago, never saw any reason to go to the cheap stuff. Plus, I didn't want to be the guy sitting on the edge of the bed with a cigarette in one hand and a lighter in the other waiting to quit coughing so I could fire up the first one of the day. About the only promise I ever kept.

But I go through a pack of Mail Pouch every 2 or 3 days, have for years. Always liked the barn-ads for it back in the 60s and 70s along old highways...

Back