Knives of Cassius M Clay of Kentucky (1810-1903)

Lol...I don't know how I missed that Jack.

I sometimes pine for the good 'ol days, when politicians had some backbone and actually backed up their words with cold steel (or hot lead) instead of ceaselessy slinging cowardly insults at one another to no consequence.

After reading the great history of Cassius M. Clay, I have edited my earlier post to reflect that Mr. Clay defended his office, from a mob, with 2 four pound cannons, not a Gatling Gun.

Knife forum. We talk about knives.
Else this thread is done.

As I recall, Cassius M. Clay, the Olympic Boxing Gold Medalist, traced his ancestry back to Henry Clay, slave owner and alleged impregnator of same, U. S. Representative, Speaker of the House and U. S. Senator from Kentucky.

So, I did go to the trouble of looking into the connection between Henry Clay and Cassius M. Clay, politician, and found that Cassius was the son of one of Henry Clay's cousins, making him one of Mohammed Ali's cousins, as well, some generations removed.

Last edited:
Samuel Bell's Bowie knives had a distinct similarity to Argentine Gaucho knives or vice versa. Why could not a Russian artisan have done likewise?

Samuel Bell's Bowie knives had a distinct similarity to Argentine Gaucho knives or vice versa. Why could not a Russian artisan have done likewise?

Do you have any pics Charlie? There seems to have been a degree of 'cross-pollination' between the early Bowies and the large working Gaucho knives, many of both being made in Europe. There is some discussion of this at the link in my second post. EG:

Of the several types of gaucho knives used in the past, I personally consider the most interesting type to study (especially for Bowie collectors) to be the variant known as the puñal, a knife which was widely used along the territories of what today is Argentina, as well as Uruguay and southern Brazil. This type features subtle distinctive differences of design in each of these regions. Several years ago I developed my own theory, tracing a common root in both the Bowie knife and the puñal. I don't know if this theory would be widely accepted among our leading Bowie authorities in the USA and I can't say if I'll ever be able to fully demonstrate its complete truth, but in the meantime I humbly consider and present it to our readers as an approach to the study of these most interesting types of knives - Bowies and South American puñales- taking into account their broad use during a large historical period of our countries....

The Spanish influence upon these knives is evident as soon as you compare their shape with the Belduque, Albacete and Flandes knives brought by the Spaniards to our lands. On the other hand, there is a Germanic influence too, as there were several types of knives of German origin which used the same blade shape long before the gaucho knife.

The so-called "Mediterranean Dagger" (actually a single-edge knife) is a knife which was used in Spain, Italy and France during the XVII and XVIII centuries and it is commonly shown as a probable origin of the early Bowie knives and is also probably connected to certain Genovese and Corsican fixed blade knives. As a matter of fact, we know that Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas received a very strong French and Spanish influence in those days and some early Bowies elicit a strong reminiscence of the European dagger or knife. This can be easily seen for example, in the classic lines of the knife Searles made for Rezin Bowie.

Both South American puñales and early Bowies and Spanish Mediterranean daggers can be compared with large butcher knives and actually this was the way Bowie knives were described in early documents and newspaper accounts of knife fights.

Certainly, a Russian artisan could have produced the knife in my original post, but it seems a very exact interpretation of a particular type of Gaucho knife, and I've been able to find only one reference source even mentioning its existence. I'm hoping to find more information, but so far I'm not finding anything :(

Last edited:
Here's some pics of Samuel Bell Bowies I've swiped off the net, pretty awesome I have to say :thumbup:

17000406_1_x.jpg

76409.jpg

post-20077-1148077635.jpg

There's a Samuel Bell connection to Henry Clay, Cassius M Clay's cousin, and all three seemed to have some shared politics, as well as an interest in Bowie knives, so who knows...:)

Last edited:
Here's a chap who knows his stuff :) :thumbup:

[video=youtube;luSrUDap8eM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSrUDap8eM[/video]

Incredible work on those Bell knives. Even today there aren't many smiths making knives that reach that level of craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Interesting info on Knives and knife history, Jack. Thanks, and I'm another one who had not heard of him before. Of course, we've probably had 10s of thousands of members of Congress during our country's short history. :)

Thank you Dean :thumbup:

By chance, I came across this photo of the Romanovs in my newspaper today, and noticed the Cossack daggers which Tsar Nicholas II and his son are prominently wearing. I couldn't help wondering if Clay's gifted knife might in fact have been a Cossack knife, and thought I'd investigate.

Nicholas_II_and_children_with_Cossacks_of_the_Guard,_cropped.jpg

In this (and one or two other images) of Tsar Alexander II, he appears to have a similar knife, partially obscured by the hilt of his sword.

j-20099.jpg

Some photos of Cossack Knives:

34suc%20a-800x600.jpg

e7abd30e07b6523722fc7be16e1516fc.jpg

dagger-yalta2.JPG

One would have thought that if a Russian Tsar was going to present a knife to a friend, he would have chosen a Cossack knife, rather than something which resembles, in every way, an Argentinian Punal or Verijero. Only a few Cossack daggers come with all metal sheaths like the centre knife above, and the sheath seems to be the only thing the knife has in common with a Gaucho knife. I remain confused! :confused: :D

Somewhat off-topic, but there's a Mark Twain connection to Tsar Alexander II

See last couple of lines of top right paragraph. Though looking through the earlier links, it appears that Clay's written knife-fighting manual was invented by Townsend.
PNx98RTd

Two Rezin Bowie presentation pieces and their putative ancestor a "Spanish dagger".
lxBVgwH3

Last edited:
Back