Knives with no metal?

Seems to me metal is the way to go, at least until the next evolution in cutting implements. Maybe light pocket knives or fixed blades under 4". I don't think light sabers will ever be practical due to size restrictions, except maybe for military use.

My mum has a ceramic kitchen knife that she's apparently very pleased with.

I swear there was someone a while back who said that he EDCs a ceramic knife, because metal detectors and such.

cold-steel-nightshade-fgx-boot-blade-i.jpg

The only one I got is the FGX boot knife. It surprised me how very well made it is.

If you're curious about crazy non-metal knives you should check out kiwami japan:

Kitchen knives are one of the best applications for ceramic blades. As long as you don’t try chopping bone, ceramic will keep a keen edge for a long time, won’t corrode, and won’t promote oxidation of food.

Many years back, there we’re some ceramic-bladed folding knives that came out. The blades were touted as holding an edge much longer than steel and being corrosion-proof. One of the problems was that they were also brittle.

Jim

I have a few ceramic knives in the kitchen. Work just fine. I can't imagine carrying a folder with no metal in it during the day.

I have a Boker ceramic folder that I got some time back (20+ years). Handle is plastic and not very nice. Liners are medal. Not sure if it would pass medal detectors. It a interesting knife the carried for while but I was always worried about it being brittle. Never got to a point that it needed to be sharpened. It held a edge very well.

DCC73AAC-9CA1-44ED-97A9-45E187F998D4.jpeg

I am seeing more and more normal people (ie folks you would not meet on knife forums) buying kitchen knives that have no metal in them eg ceramic, composites etc. I am not sure what the other materials are.

Anyone use these zero metal knives, thoughts?

E.g.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...ences-between-ceramic-and-steel-knives-2016-3
It's kinda sad , but knife sharpening seems to be nearly a lost art for many people now . That's the main value of ceramic blades , IMO .

They can be very sharp and hold that edge for a long time , just in mild kitchen use . But they are brittle . Totally "stainless" , also . ;)

I bought a little folding "fruit knife" in a kitchen store on clearance for a dollar, with a ceramic blade. Wicked sharp little sucker, and the best firesteel scraper I've ever had.

I have many ceramic knives fixed and folding. Most are used in and around the kitchen. They make great finishing steels for metal knives.

Knives with no metal?
Like dehydrated water?
Nah jk jk :D
They seem to work for a lot of people but the idea of them being really brittle always kept me away.

9CA40C4E-4D07-4947-8914-8B2EA0D62F25.jpeg Here I am setting up the micro edge on a ZDP-189 folding knife utilizing the flat sides of Zirconium Carbide ceramic blade (edge leading).

My mother has a couple ceramic kitchen knives. They out perform steel kitchen knives (the generic ones you would find at an equivalent price in a store) in almost every area - they come really sharp, can stay 'sharp enough' for years, and don't rust. The only downside is that they tend to chip if one isn't careful.

I'm not sure if they can be sharpened, but honestly most generic ceramic kitchen knives are cheap enough that it's not an issue to just buy another when you've worn out or broken one.

I'm not sure if they can be sharpened, but honestly most generic ceramic kitchen knives are cheap enough that it's not an issue to just buy another when you've worn out or broken one.
IIRC they can be sharpened with diamond type sharpeners , but I've not yet needed to . As you say , cheap enough to be replaced as necessary . :):thumbsup:

If they are that brittle I am surprised if a professional kitchen would use them and risk a customer catching a fragment in their meal.

Back