Knock-Off, Counterfeit, Fake Bucks & The Americans Who Sell Them

Harbor freight should really be ashamed of themselves now.
This is a scary close copy of the 119 ( blade appears thinner though), and I just hope the factory making them doesn't eventually start selling them as counterfeits.

There are consumables and some stationary power tools I will buy there, but nothing that is a copy of anything else and no hand tools.

One of the worst parts about this is that the YouTube knife community is going to go hog wild for this thing, they went crazy testing their horrible $10 survival knife for bug out bags and such, now they are sure to tout this thing up and down as a good value.
None of them are going to care that it is a hateful shameless ripoff.

Last edited:
Harbor freight should really be ashamed of themselves now.
This is a scary close copy of the 119 ( blade appears thinner though), and I just hope the factory making them doesn't eventually start selling them as counterfeits.

There are consumables and some stationary power tools I will buy there, but nothing that is a copy of anything else and no hand tools.

One of the worst parts about this is that the YouTube knife community is going to go hog wild for this thing, they went crazy testing their horrible $10 survival knife for bug out bags and such, now they are sure to tout this thing up and down as a good value.
None of them are going to care that it is a hateful shameless ripoff.
To stop this people need to avoid buying anything from Harbor Freight. Don’t let price rule your decisions. I used to go there but can’t stand the cheapness and that funky weird plastic smell when you walk in the door.

To stop this people need to avoid buying anything from Harbor Freight. Don’t let price rule your decisions. I used to go there but can’t stand the cheapness and that funky weird plastic smell when you walk in the door.
yep. nothing they sell there is worth owning. it's all low quality junk and wears out or breaks fast.

They have a few things that are cheaper while about the same as you'll get everywhere else, but most of their things I would agree should be avoided unless it's a one time need or intended to be disposable.

They have a few things that are cheaper while about the same as you'll get everywhere else, but most of their things I would agree should be avoided unless it's a one time need or intended to be disposable.
I only have bought and used a handful of their items but all were junk and broke fast or wore out. had a wood chipper that the blades fractured on soft half rotted live oak florida branches. a leaf shredder than broke first use with just leaves no twigs. a belt sander that broke every belt first couple uses.

only thing I have that still works is a 4 dollar machete. I still have it. it is soft and not heat treated well but has held up for nasty tasks and not broken yet.

I guess they might have some items that would be fine for the task they were designed for. low torque and light use items....im thinking.....

im tempted to buy the copy 119 and cut the handle off to see how the tang looks and posting for education......then again might be more of a waste of a Jackson and change. also for another Jackson I could add another usa made 119 with good heat treating and steel and a forever warranty......which makes a whole lot more sense.

I only have bought and used a handful of their items but all were junk and broke fast or wore out. had a wood chipper that the blades fractured on soft half rotted live oak florida branches. a leaf shredder than broke first use with just leaves no twigs. a belt sander that broke every belt first couple uses.

only thing I have that still works is a 4 dollar machete. I still have it. it is soft and not heat treated well but has held up for nasty tasks and not broken yet.

I guess they might have some items that would be fine for the task they were designed for. low torque and light use items....im thinking.....

im tempted to buy the copy 119 and cut the handle off to see how the tang looks and posting for education......then again might be more of a waste of a Jackson and change. also for another Jackson I could add another usa made 119 with good heat treating and steel and a forever warranty......which makes a whole lot more sense.
They went through the effort to make a very close copy with some honestly very well done grinds , and I think it's pretty safe to assume it likely has the same kind of full hidden tang the real deal has.

When you think about it the way Buck does it is a relatively cost effective construction method for them, and I don't know how they could affix a pommel otherwise or how it could make the knife any cheaper to produce.
If it were Pakistan they would tack world an extension to a stubby little tang , but China doesn't have to do that.
They already have the cheaper labor cost, less expensive material costs, less material without the extra spacers, and what appears to be thinner blade stock.

I think it's best to just let people be weary, the YouTube gear community will start pounding on these things before long and everyone will know soon enough how long it takes to loosen the guard on one of them.

I already know it's probably well worth the $20, it's hard to go wrong when you're so closely copying such a good knife.
The fact that it's a shameless ripoff instantly makes it bad though if you ask me, I say it cancels out all potential quality and it might as well be made of cardboard and duct tape.

Here's one.
I contacted him telling him it's a counterfeit.
He lists it as a reproduction in the small print and he doesn't accept returns. Someone will get what they think is a poor quality "Buck" knife.

He claims he doesn't know where it's made..... So that makes it ok?

He has over 150 knives for sale, so I doubt he's "uninformed".
View attachment 1751639

SUrely you buy only by credit card. His label "BUCK" violates fedeal trademark law and is only explained by an effort to defarud.

I think I understand: you are surprised at the extent to whuich genuine Bucks are conterfeited/copied. Yes?

I think they copy Bucks so they can actually get someone to buy their crap.

It seems as the Vanguards are a favorite to counterfeit.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody is making counterfeit Buckmaster knives, considering just how much those things go for online these days.

One time I saw a guy that I thought was trying to sell a Rothco Ramster as a Buckmaster 184, but apparently he just didn't know any better and someone must have informed him, because the next time I checked he had taken it down the relisted it as a "Buckmaster Clone" at a greatly reduced price.

That thread is over a decade old.

There are many copies of the Buckmaster, but they aren't counterfeits because none of them are stamped/etched as such, they all have their own names and brands attached to them.

I actually own one of the clones that's still on the market; the Rothco Ramster, but it's clearly sold as such, as are all the older ones.

Back