• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Koster's Kickstarter project

Dan Koster has yet to ship another knife. However, he apparently refunded the money of one of his more vocal backers on Kickstarter. It appears that if you complain enough, possibly threaten legal action and post publicly, he will refund at least some of your money.
I think some of the Kickstarter backers have discovered Dirty Dan's plan. He's hoping that if he stalls long enough, the backers will either lose interest, forget they ordered a knife or die of old age before the crooked SOB gets a knife to them. I can't believe so many of them are just silently waiting while Dirty Dan fails to deliver and goes silent for months at a time. The backer who just jumped ship and got a refund was very outspoken in the Kickstarter page comments. He had had ENOUGH of Crooked Koster's BS excuses. I'm going to miss his zingers directed at Koster, but I'm glad he poked the turd until he got his money back. It will be interesting to see if more of the backers abandon ship.

The last project update was sent by Daniel Koster yesterday to all Kickstarter backers. In this report you can find a new original excuse (in bold) :

"I have been pouring time into helping my wife with her job because of this whole coronavirus situation. I also started cleaning my shop and while do so tipped over the shelf with all the folder parts in it and have had to piece them all back together - since they are a matched set (liners, blades, etc.) - which was very aggravating, tedious and time-consuming. Add to that helping 5 kids at home doing online school I just haven't had the hours I thought I would to do *anything*.
As of today, I can confidently say that I finally have everything sorted out. Folders are all back together, schedule managed and shop fixed up. Today was my first full day back in the shop and while it has been no fun getting to this point I am at last here. If this has been too much of a wait, I totally understand. To those of you who have waited this long, I thank you and appreciate your continued support means a lot to me. I plan on having the next folder finished next week
".

just my opinion:is it not about time for all the men/women who have money in Dan Koster's "piggy bank" as a down payment/full payment (even more stupid!) to get together and send the law after his dirty ass?here on GB&U you Koster afficionado's can make a front and send hell to Dan Koster!trust me,there are so many knifemaker's who CAN be trusted to make you a good/fantastic knife for reasonable fee's!scumbags like SURVIVE,KOSTER and a few other's don't deserve you're money.

The last project update was sent by Daniel Koster yesterday to all Kickstarter backers. In this report you can find a new original excuse (in bold) :

"I have been pouring time into helping my wife with her job because of this whole coronavirus situation. I also started cleaning my shop and while do so tipped over the shelf with all the folder parts in it and have had to piece them all back together - since they are a matched set (liners, blades, etc.) - which was very aggravating, tedious and time-consuming. Add to that helping 5 kids at home doing online school I just haven't had the hours I thought I would to do *anything*.
As of today, I can confidently say that I finally have everything sorted out. Folders are all back together, schedule managed and shop fixed up. Today was my first full day back in the shop and while it has been no fun getting to this point I am at last here. If this has been too much of a wait, I totally understand. To those of you who have waited this long, I thank you and appreciate your continued support means a lot to me. I plan on having the next folder finished next week
".
Rona virus, Homeschooling, 5 kids, and a wife! Bro I have been working nonstop since the onset of Coronavirus and I still have had the time to paint my trim and repair my leaking roof not to mention my 3 kids still at home and helping them with H.S. work. Oh did I mention my wife is working full time as a Nurse so I have been doing all the shopping for us And the grandparents! Do yourself a favor and refund the moneys given and gracefully sink into obscurity or continue to elevate yourself to the ranks of a major Kick start scammer. I have no horse in this race thank god, I'm just trying to help you get "woke" to the negative online persona you are creating that's all.

So I'm a total idiot when it comes to making knives, but if everything is so hand-fit that each liner, scale, blade, etc cannot be swapped around with one another, wouldn't it make prudent sense to emboss a number or letter or some other mark on each part to make sure that you always know what goes with what knife? Also, since he manages to crank out about one knife every 60 months, how hard could it be to figure out what goes with what?

I can’t decide whether to order a Koster knife or one from Survive!........?

Maybe I will order from both.
Hey, I’ve got a deal for you on Koster, I’ll sell you my spot for a penny. :confused: The knife is paid in full.:eek: This way I’d get something positive rather out of this mess rather then aggravation. :poop:

The continuing story of Dubious Dan; the Koster muck is a clusterf*ck.

After all this time he could have subbed out the work and taken a percentage.

What a sh$tbag. A grown ass adult doing this. My kids have Virtua school, I work 50 to 60 hours a week doing construction, have all the house stuff to do..I still have some time for hobbies and to do what I would like throughout the week.. oh, and I'm a single father. You can always organize a schedule and time. Those excuses are straight BS

I have had nothing but good dealings with Dan. His work is some of the best I have seen and he has even re-shaped a chipped blade I had. I have his MUCK and a WOODLORE. Both awesome.

I have had nothing but good dealings with Dan. His work is some of the best I have seen and he has even re-shaped a chipped blade I had. I have his MUCK and a WOODLORE. Both awesome.

How nice for you. There are scores of people that have had very different experiences. The reviews of his current knives (the very few he finds time to complete) are not positive.

Whenever a maker gives a long-winded chain of excuses as to why they haven't made progress on a project, it generally can be chalked up to pure malarkey. In all frankness, I am amazed that he even bothers anymore. I cannot even fathom why the remaining backers are exercising the patience that they are, it is beyond the point of absurdity.

Every update is a "nothing burger" but each one seems to appease the remaining backers until he can serve them up yet another "nothing burger". For crying out loud, "I spilled my parts and it took a LOT of time to clean it up"?! Next month's update will consist of, "My fingernails were too long and it took me all month to find my clippers".

Honestly, I don't know what's more laughable - Koster's steady stream of BS or the folks that still believe he is going to deliver. (No offense to those folks but seriously, cut the cord, get your money back.)

I have had nothing but good dealings with Dan. His work is some of the best I have seen and he has even re-shaped a chipped blade I had. I have his MUCK and a WOODLORE. Both awesome.[/QUOTE

Every thief has their apologists. Every one of them.

What's your point? Tojo favored giving refuge to Jewish refugees from Nazi persecution.

Back