kydex sheath too tight

I have a couple kydex sheaths that are overly snug. So tight I can't safely remove the knife.
I cleaned them and repeatedly sheathed and unsheathed with no improvement.
Any thing I can try?

..before you do anything "drastic".....have you tried pushing down with your thumb while puling the knife out?

I have a couple kydex sheaths that are overly snug. So tight I can't safely remove the knife.
I cleaned them and repeatedly sheathed and unsheathed with no improvement.
Any thing I can try?

I don't know a lot about kydex.....

But couldn't you take the knife out and rap it with something? (alum foil)
Than heat the sheath back up and put the knife in to stretch it out some?

Like I said don't really know kydex that well?

I can push hard with my thumb on one and it will come out. The other one is so tight I have to rap the top of the sheath with another knife handle to get it to break free. No amount of pulling with both hands will budge it.

The easiest solution for this problem is almost always to contact the maker (if you know who made them) and ask to send them in for adjustment.

I warm the handle area on the sheath with a hair drier at point blank for about ten seconds. Then insert the knife and pull it out about 1 mill, enough to spread the sheath the tiniest amount and hold it until it cools. It may take a second time to get it where I like.

You can practice holding the knife out 1 mill before heating it up a few times to get the feel for where you like it.
The idea is to freeze it in that position.

I have had the same happen to a few of the ones i made . I used a heat gun to get them where i like.

Try putting the Kydex in Boiling water, it becomes soft enough to mold a little. then once you get it where you like, put it under cold sink water.....it keeps the shape and color with no damage! mind blown?

I have done this a few times before with S$%t Mora sheaths and my Bk2 kydex sheath.....it works well

I also had this problem. Leave the knife in the sheath and put the knife in your car on a hot day. Not in the direct sunlight. After a couple of hours, it will open up the kydex a bit, resulting in easier unsheathing of the knife.

The easiest solution for this problem is almost always to contact the maker (if you know who made them) and ask to send them in for adjustment.

Please don't put your Kydex sheaths in boiling water.

Sage advice, THE best way to take care of this is to contact the maker.

I've seen similar issues with leather and those that want to adjust them as well. Some are rather interesting. :p

If you do not contact the maker for a fix, and do some DIY solutions first, you will be SOL as far as getting a free adjustment from the maker. Easy enough to adjust if you know what you are doing, and equally easy to mess up if you don't.

once i met a witch doctor who used to pee on the kydex sheaths to make adjustments...

Don't be giving away Mike's trade secrets.

:D

Thanks a lot guys!
Putting my knife BACK into the sheath was a bear also!
Out comes the heat gun.
rolf

Back