kydex sheath too tight

Beware Rolf, a heat gun is the quickest way to burn through kydex, it happens in the blink of an eye.

Ask me how I know. :p

Thanks a lot guys!
Putting my knife BACK into the sheath was a bear also!
Out comes the heat gun.
rolf

Beware Rolf, a heat gun is the quickest way to burn through kydex, it happens in the blink of an eye.

Ask me how I know. :p

What he said. Put it on low, hold it a few inches away, and keep it moving. With a heat gun, it can go from completely stiff to melted before you realize what happened if it gets concentrated.

Originally Posted by sonil
once i met a witch doctor who used to pee on the kydex sheaths to make adjustments...

Don't be giving away Mike's trade secrets.

:D

And you promised not to tell!!

I warm the handle area on the sheath with a hair drier at point blank for about ten seconds. Then insert the knife and pull it out about 1 mill, enough to spread the sheath the tiniest amount and hold it until it cools. It may take a second time to get it where I like.
This worked great. I had tried WD-40 and mineral oil like the maker had advised. Both wore off quickly. Thanks so much.

I have a couple kydex sheaths that are overly snug. So tight I can't safely remove the knife.
I cleaned them and repeatedly sheathed and unsheathed with no improvement.
Any thing I can try?
I had the same issue and took a close look at sheath after I finally had knife out of sheath. As I slowly returned knife inside sheath I noted that the side of the sheath was forced to spread open a little bit and once the hilt was fully seated it closed together, holding knife firmly. I shined a flashlight into the top of the sheath and noticed that on both sides of the sheath on the inside were small ramps that closed after the knife was fully seated. These ramps inside sheath are what secure knife in place. I took a small nail file and ground down each ramp to the thickness that still held the knife firmly in place but was a hell of a lot easier to pull knife from with assistance from my thumb to break the grip on the hilt. Note to self: file very very little at a time. You can’t put back material that you file off. I turned sheath upside down and shook it to make sure it did not simply fall out. Again take your time and after each filing check it again and again that you are getting close to the point where you are satisfied so you can withdraw it with assistance from your thumb and that it can still be locked in place without falling out of sheath. Be patient don’t get overly aggressive with the file. Take it easy. Bottom line you will always want your knife to be secure within the sheath.

Just FYI this thread is 7 years old ;):)

Prepper now,
Wanted to add this, good info you posted :) I had to mod a couple sheaths same way.

Back