1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lapping stones for flatness

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by trailhunter, May 27, 2018.

1. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    One further note on the Spydie UF that I forgot to add earlier - I would originally have left mine alone as well except that I use it for straight razors occasionally. One side has been flattened and the other is still factory. The flattened side I use for razors, the factory side I use for knives.

2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Good for you. ^ That's the use I give mine. I originally purchased the fine and one side was off level. Not a lot, so I thought I'd level it and give it a finer finish. Both items I obtained. Thus, I saved 70$ by not having to purchase the ultra fine 2" X8" stone. DM

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    eKretz likes this.
  3. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    Good idea! Kind of wish I'd have done that, haha.

4. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    When I bought mine they were sold as a unit, but in reality it is an aluminum blank with a PSA backed top plate on it. The top plate by itself is too flimsy, but could be stuck to just about anything flat if it is to be used by hand. $20 is a good price for a perfect fit 1/4" plate. If I were to replace it I'd get the PSA.

The 180 mesh is perfect for most stones without being overly aggressive. I don't have the 100 mesh, I use my DMT XXC if I need something more aggressive than the 180, and even still it is only a little faster and leaves a less desirable finish ( I go over it with the 180 anyway).

MtnHawk1 likes this.
  5. MtnHawk1

MtnHawk1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    HeavyHanded, thank you for your thorough reply. Just what I wanted/needed to know! :)

Great idea, and thanks for sharing!

6. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008

Yes, I've never cared for the gouge lines left from the xx coarse DMT. The 100 grit SiC, Economy stone from ACE is about the coarsest stone I'll use. DM

7. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    @HeavyHanded thanks for this tip! New to me for sure. I looked at the lapidary supply and saw they had 6” wheels with no arbor hole - a solid wheel of diamond available in most grits for about the same price. Do you think a 6” solid wheel would be a better choice than an 8” wheel with an arbor hole?

8. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    Yes, or at least no difference. The larger the better when it comes to lapping, my 3x10" plates do well with an 8" plate, but a 6" circle is a lot of surface area and will do a solid job on most stones. The extra 2" of an 8" stone is a lot more surface area and the arbor hole is small enough to not be a negative, but I'm confident a solid 6" will do OK for just about everything.

9. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    thank you for the suggestion!