Large Stockman's: Where are they?

Ever since I found a large Colonial Ranger (which is about 4 inches closed) I have really been interested in the Stockman pattern....specifically the LARGE SIZE like my Ranger. In scouring the interwebz, I have come to to the conclusion, that Case and other makers simply don't make a lot of this size anymore. I have only found one and it was in a handle material that was....eh, ok, I guess. Of course there was another one, that says one pattern, but pictures another (so I'm not too sure if its even a large).

EDIT: I see some on (non BF dealer member), but I really don't trust them these days. Perhaps I'm being petty.

Now this isn't really a grail knife, but just one I'd really like to buy more than a few of to carry. I'm not really interested in exotic materials. In fact the one I really want the most is a Case Large Stockman with Navy Blue Jigged Bone, with the red oval shield. Does it exist? And if so....where can I get one? I am interested in other brands as well, but lets just keep it simple for now.

And since I'm looking perhaps you guys might throw up pics of yours (in any handle material).....just to rub it in a bit. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Buck 301 comes to mind. Decent knife. Can be had off the 'bay used but in very good shape quite reasonably if a model a few years old is desired. New, they still are a bargain. USA made. Some handle variations out there besides the black delrin, but their delrin is a very durable handle material on a working knife. Buck also has a decent warrantee dept.

Schrade Old Timer is now back with saw cut bone scales. Very well made and 4" closed. Take a look; good knife, just like the old ones. Also, I wouldn't call Rough Rider or Colt knives low end; inexpensive yes; cheap, poor knives - no. Excellent knives for the price.
Rich

Last edited:
Queen's #9 stockman is a 4" serpentine, with plenty of blade (D2 tool steel) but still quite slender in the pocket. Been carrying this one in birds eye maple (BEM) since yesterday, but they can be found in curly zebrawood and stag bone, as well as older ones in a variety of covers.

BEMcomp_zpsowtwtdfn.jpg~original

Thanks guys. After this post I spent about 3 hours looking everywhere I could. I found some, directly from Case and some through distributors. I favorited some and will use those as a base for buying. Even found some cheap ones (not Case) from other companies.

Still can't locate a Navy colored Jigged Bone with the red oval shield though. I found one in NJB with the silver shield. Close enough maybe. Still looking.

df39403fd95584c2f5751bbc0a51fef6.jpg

Here's another large stockman option.
GEC 82 Dixie Stock Knife. I prefer the wharncliffe blade to a sheepsfoot, and the sodbuster style 3rd blade is more handy than a spey, IMO. This one is in maroon micarta.

Thanks guys. After this post I spent about 3 hours looking everywhere I could. I found some, directly from Case and some through distributors. I favorited some and will use those as a base for buying. Even found some cheap ones (not Case) from other companies.

Still can't locate a Navy colored Jigged Bone with the red oval shield though. I found one in NJB with the silver shield. Close enough maybe. Still looking.

Case's 6375 in navy blue with a red shield is CA7050. It's not from this years production but it can still be found.

Here are some Queen #9's, one a Northwoods version.

P1020660_zps62deda46.jpg

Queen's largest stockman pattern at 4 1/4" closed length is the #49, shown here in this Northwoods version.

P1040323_zpsmdr7elkr.jpg

I have the Purple Haze model, really nice, I did modify the spey blade into a sort of pen blade, which I prefer it's looks a better.

Case_Stockman_purple.jpg~original

Case_Stockman_pen.jpg~original

Also ground down the sheepsfoot kick so it now sits flush with the back of the clip blade, making it a much better carry :)
G2

The GEC 82 stockman is a good one.

IMG_20140816_094415113_zpspau50pdd1_zpsaf546cff.jpg

And so are the old schrade 8ot's.

IMG_20140427_154620845_zpsutp97ui_edit_1398628157858_zpsxdsgmjmy.jpg

As is bucks 301. My brother liked it so much that it's his user while in air force training.

P1020250_zps57b6e27c.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really do appreciate it. I know its quite boring to have a new guy (to this sub) come on here asking where a particular knife is. I really didn't mean to say they didn't exist, just that I was having some trouble developing a list to buy from, and having trouble finding a particualr one. At that point, from my perspective the pickings were slim. So, I begged the question if makers were moving away from the the larger stockmans.

In the spirit of full disclosure; when I posted the thread I had only looked in about 2 places, the big river store and the Case website. The Case store only has 2 available to "buy" and at that point, looking on the other site, I saw roughly the same ones or some in handle materials I was not interested in. I didn't even consider GEC and Queen, because those two makers, as well as some others, have other models I'm interested in. I hadn't even thought they might make the larger stockmans. I was looking more for Case, Colonial, So, not seeing the ones I wanted, that was the catalyst for the thread.

So, it seems your replies are a good starting point for me. However, at this point I'm on a limited budget, so the GEC and Queens will have to go at the bottom of the list. They do look very nice though, and I'm sure are very well built, but if I buy one of those then I can't get a few of the others. ;) :D

Again, Thanks everyone!!!!

Bear & Sons makes a large Stockman, American made by the way
German Eye Brand also makes a large Stockman, i really like this knife.
buzz

Picked up this old Schrade Walden 8OT for next to nothing (probably because that is what it is worth, but I love it).

Back