1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Large Stockman's: Where are they?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Tdhurl1103, Jul 30, 2015.

1. bozack

bozack

Nov 8, 2005
    Queen, in buffalo horn.
    [​IMG]
    Old Frost second cut stag
    [​IMG]
    Canal Street in rams horn
    [​IMG]

2. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I keep a Buck 301 in my pocket ... swap it out for a 371 with G10 covers once in a while. What can I say? I like them both.

3. dave308ek

dave308ek

Apr 19, 2014
    Thanks Tom:D

4. runninmike

runninmike

Oct 19, 2005
    Lots of good ones mentioned.....might look at the boker 7474....they still have german made ones in both carbon and stainless soligen steel. I have a rosewood one and a nice stag...also available in other scale materials.

5. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    If you want a LARGE stockman, forget about the 8OT and hunt down an original USA-made 858OT.

[​IMG]
    858OT on bottom; center knife is the 8OT

6. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Enjoying this stockman quite a bit, especially the sheepsfoot blade, here's a comparison shot showing the SAK Pioneer and Case Purple Haze large Stockman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here you can see how thinly ground down this blade is, cuts remarkably well !

[​IMG]

G2

7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Where are all the Big Stockmen?

This one's in Europe:D Hooray for Dixie! GEC Northfield in Blackwood.

[​IMG]

8. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Will - That is a classy stockman :thumbup: Some Beautiful Blackwood :)

9. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Tom,

Here are some other options that can still be found New and at decent prices... I paid less than $45 for each one of these... I've seen 'em go higher, but usually not more than $65-$70.

These Winchester stockmans are great knives. Excellent quality. Made by Queen for Bluegrass Cutlery in the 1980s/1990s.

Sowbelly Stockman 3949. 3 3/4 inches. Jigged Bone handles.
    [​IMG]

Stockman Whittler 3907. 3 7/8 inches. Jigged Bone handles.
    [​IMG]

Stockman Whittler 380119. 4 1/2 inches. Jigged Bone handles.
    [​IMG]

Stockman Whittlers 390119. 4 1/2 inches. Jigged Bone handles.
    [​IMG]

And this one by Buck can also still be found New for around $45-60.

Buck 307. 4 1/4 inches. Delrin handles.
    [​IMG]

10. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Here's a Queen Cattle King. 4 1/4" packed with D2 goodness. Amber Carved Stag Bone covers.

[​IMG]

11. W.M.B.

W.M.B.

Oct 11, 2013
    Ok, what is the one between the 8 and the 858. Whatever it is, I need one.:)

12. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    I believe that is the 61OT.

13. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Correct, the 61-OT, You must know your Old Timers. :) It's a great knife in-hand, super comfortable. It's longer than even a large stockman, but it's really slender and curved just right. And of course made with Schrade's 1095 carbon steel blades.

The OT stockman frame that's missing from that scan is the Ulster 58-OT. It's about the same size as a medium stockman, but with a slender serpentine shape like the 61OT.

14. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Was waiting for you to post the love of your life..............

15. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Ron Thanks for your appreciation.:cool: For a big knife it's sleek, the backspring and tang-stamps are really Masterclass.

I would like to get a Queen Stockman in Zebra, or BEM like Jeff's. Find the right one and you get a remarkable bargain.

Regards, Will

16. lucydog

lucydog

Feb 14, 2015
    Vintage 3 7/8" examples with Delrin handles are are readily available and inexpensive, this one's a Kutmaster:

[​IMG]

And one of my favorites, made by Camillus for Sears in the 30's or 40's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    xxxxx

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Point taken tongueriver, but for enthusiasts like me in Europe it's really hard to access decent used American knives. So, I have to buy new and age them up myself.:D

That Schliepper is MASSIVE, behemoth of a knife:eek::thumbup:

Thanks, Will