Large Stockman's: Where are they?

Queen, in buffalo horn.

Old Frost second cut stag

Canal Street in rams horn

I keep a Buck 301 in my pocket ... swap it out for a 371 with G10 covers once in a while. What can I say? I like them both.

Lots of good ones mentioned.....might look at the boker 7474....they still have german made ones in both carbon and stainless soligen steel. I have a rosewood one and a nice stag...also available in other scale materials.

If you want a LARGE stockman, forget about the 8OT and hunt down an original USA-made 858OT.

858OTsizecomparison.jpg

858OT on bottom; center knife is the 8OT

Enjoying this stockman quite a bit, especially the sheepsfoot blade, here's a comparison shot showing the SAK Pioneer and Case Purple Haze large Stockman

stockman_pioneer.jpg~original

stockman_sheepsfoot_blade.jpg~original

and here you can see how thinly ground down this blade is, cuts remarkably well !

Stockman_sheepsfoot_edge.jpg~original

G2

Where are all the Big Stockmen?

This one's in Europe:D Hooray for Dixie! GEC Northfield in Blackwood.

IMG_3087.jpg

Tom,

Here are some other options that can still be found New and at decent prices... I paid less than $45 for each one of these... I've seen 'em go higher, but usually not more than $65-$70.

These Winchester stockmans are great knives. Excellent quality. Made by Queen for Bluegrass Cutlery in the 1980s/1990s.

Sowbelly Stockman 3949. 3 3/4 inches. Jigged Bone handles.
3949mark_zpsedrazjkj.jpg

Stockman Whittler 3907. 3 7/8 inches. Jigged Bone handles.
3907mark_zpskywgzxxz.jpg

Stockman Whittler 380119. 4 1/2 inches. Jigged Bone handles.
Winchester380119_zpsv6z0ascd.jpg

Stockman Whittlers 390119. 4 1/2 inches. Jigged Bone handles.
WinchesterRed01_zpszl0palwr.jpg

And this one by Buck can also still be found New for around $45-60.

Buck 307. 4 1/4 inches. Delrin handles.
Buck307a.jpg

And since I'm looking perhaps you guys might throw up pics of yours (in any handle material).....just to rub it in a bit. :D

Here's a Queen Cattle King. 4 1/4" packed with D2 goodness. Amber Carved Stag Bone covers.

100_2883.jpg

If you want a LARGE stockman, forget about the 8OT and hunt down an original USA-made 858OT.

858OTsizecomparison.jpg

858OT on bottom; center knife is the 8OT
Ok, what is the one between the 8 and the 858. Whatever it is, I need one.:)

Ok, what is the one between the 8 and the 858. Whatever it is, I need one.:)

I believe that is the 61OT.

Correct, the 61-OT, You must know your Old Timers. :) It's a great knife in-hand, super comfortable. It's longer than even a large stockman, but it's really slender and curved just right. And of course made with Schrade's 1095 carbon steel blades.

The OT stockman frame that's missing from that scan is the Ulster 58-OT. It's about the same size as a medium stockman, but with a slender serpentine shape like the 61OT.

Ron Thanks for your appreciation.:cool: For a big knife it's sleek, the backspring and tang-stamps are really Masterclass.

I would like to get a Queen Stockman in Zebra, or BEM like Jeff's. Find the right one and you get a remarkable bargain.

Regards, Will

Vintage 3 7/8" examples with Delrin handles are are readily available and inexpensive, this one's a Kutmaster:

20041529280_4b40b932ef_z.jpg

And one of my favorites, made by Camillus for Sears in the 30's or 40's:

19606897604_f94f1a576e_z.jpg

20042943319_9019830f99_z.jpg

Point taken tongueriver, but for enthusiasts like me in Europe it's really hard to access decent used American knives. So, I have to buy new and age them up myself.:D

That Schliepper is MASSIVE, behemoth of a knife:eek::thumbup:

Thanks, Will

Back