Last ditch hideout production fixed blade thruster

What size are comfortable carrying on yourself?
Boker makes a Knife designed by Bud Neely and includes what is called his MCS, multi carry system that lets you clip the knife (in it's sheath) to a lot of places on your body.
This is exactly what this knife was designed to do. But really the sheath system is probably the most important thing you should be looking for. There are also many reasonably priced sheath makers.
I sure hope you will never need it.

I think that the knives mentioned here are good primary weapons for Joe civilian like you and me, but they're not really hideout weapons.

All you really need is a small, light knife, a good imagination and a good sheath maker.

That being said here's one of my favorites:

Attachments

• protech_dagger.jpg
    protech_dagger.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 268
I have it saved as Protech Dagger, but their aren't any sharp edges on the thing. It's just a glorified prison shank.

If I may offer some advice, since you said "thruster", you will need something with a fine point. Personally, I'd steer clear of the Ryan model 7 & plan B, and Hawk, but the other knife didn't look too bad. A decent guard would be good too, but I realize not many folders today have them.

Oops, I forgot you said fixed blade... Then look for a decent guard and comfortable handle.

Easy. Get a Spyderco Ronin.

The Ronin is an outstanding knife. Cuts and thrusts well while still being easy to carry. (Different carry options too.) You can get one for about $100.00.

Not trying to attack you or anything, but the Ronin is not a thruster in my opinion. Even if you line it up properly for a thrust, from the target's perspective, you've got 50% edge and 50% blunt spine. That's even worse than the drop points mentioned above, which at least present mostly sharp edge to the target. If you present more edge than that, you really aren't thrusting any more, but slashing.

Gerber Guardian Backup. 440A steel. 3.375" blade, Rubber handle, adjustable/multicarry sheath. All yours for under $50. :cool:

How about a push/punch dagger? Cold Steel Urban Pal, small, cheap, light, effective. I'd suggest the LaGriffe, but you specified a thrusting-type knife.

On the "other" forum, I got a 5-1/2" long piece of 0.50" hardened titanium rod that is carved-up on one end for grip and is super sharp and pointy on the other end. It comes in a minimal kydex sheath that can be worn around your neck, or on your belt with a mini Tek-Lok. That's about as last-ditch as you can get.

If you're interested but you don't know what I'm talking about, e-mail me for details. I don't want to start anything here, I've kept my nose clean (so far) :D

Originally posted by the possum
Not trying to attack you or anything, but the Ronin is not a thruster in my opinion. Even if you line it up properly for a thrust, from the target's perspective, you've got 50% edge and 50% blunt spine. That's even worse than the drop points mentioned above, which at least present mostly sharp edge to the target. If you present more edge than that, you really aren't thrusting any more, but slashing.

The Ronin's shape creates a nasty penetration wound, more then you would think. As the blade is driven forward, the distal taper allows the point to penetrate, and the spine angle drives the cutting edge down and deep.

What's more, it's warnclif shape creates more slash, as conventional blades with large belly sweep eventually go parallel with the target and cease cutting.

That being corrected, what size blade and handle are you looking for? And is this last ditch for want of something to cut with, or for self-defense? The Simonich military Crowfoot comes in at your price and the Simonich Bitteroot is way less than your stated price limit.

Back