Last ditch hideout production fixed blade thruster

fred perrin makes a few things that might suit your needs, either like a big needle or a lapel dagger or a lagriffe with more of a thrusting style point. check out drearic.com for more info.

Pete

[edit: sorry, it's donrearic.com now]

[edit again: let me give you a few more links:
http://donrearic.com/perrin.html
and
http://www.couteaux-courty.com/cgi-...tion=view_category&database=courty&category=9

(some really cool looking stuff in the general knife world here too)

as you can see he makes several different blade styles of the lagriffes, and if you don't know about them already they're great for self defence because they allow great retention, amoung other things.

some thing like this:

F883.jpg

sure looks nasty.

]

hate to hotlink to their site again but this one looks like it'd do even more damage

F886.jpg

Pete

ps. again sorry to the people with modems, but you can turn off downloading pictures, right?

My choice would be the Boker Applegate-Fairbairn in the boot knife version.

I think you should see if you can find a store that sells the Spyderco Ronin, and get your mitts on it, if possible. It will DEFINITELY thrust b/c the point is so fine, it's not a dagger, the grip is very firm, it's within your specified blade size, and it's designed specifically to cut people up like no-one's business by a preeminent expert in people-cutting-up, aka defensive bladecraft (Mike Janich). But given the ample handles (more ample than a Boker Nealy), I'm not sure if you'd find it too hard to conceal . . . er, wherever you intend to conceal it. Don't put it anywhere you can't get it quick!

A note on Greco knives - they are fine knives for the price, but they are kind of thick and heavy.

Another note - if you want a thruster, you want something really really pointy; Possum has some interesting reports on trying to actually stab coons, in a post on this board, and super-pointy (like the Ronin) seems critical.

Check out the Masters Of Defense Razorback. It's a knife specifically made for stabbing in ATS-34 with a comfy handle and a small guard. One just sold on the Exchange here new for $65.
(I paid $130 for mine two years ago when they first came out.)

Originally posted by Boink
The Ronin's shape creates a nasty penetration wound, more then you would think. As the blade is driven forward, the distal taper allows the point to penetrate, and the spine angle drives the cutting edge down and deep.

What's more, it's warnclif shape creates more slash, as conventional blades with large belly sweep eventually go parallel with the target and cease cutting.

Well, no, it doesn't work any better than I'd think, since I've used nearly identical blades in the past. Don't get me wrong here- there certainly are worse choices out there, but the Ronin is simply not designed as a pure thruster; it is not *optimal*. Even a similar blade shape with the simple addition of a false edge on the spine would thrust better by leaps and bounds. Also, Yes, the spine angle will drive the cutting edge down in flesh. That is naturally how it would work, however, there's nothing special about this. All that means, is you've got drag- the spine *resists* going in. And, while that may be adequate in skin & muscle, if you are unfortunate enough to hit bone, that's when it will really let you down, since bone is not really cut, but penetrated by sheer geometry.

How about one of these? Or how about this one?

I have the NRGS and love it. Slim, strong, sharp, and inexpensive.

By the way... I'm back. Anyone miss me? I was surprised my account was still active on here after a nearly 3 year absence.

Many times people have in mind what they want in a design, materials Etc. Go over to the Shop Talk area and post your wants you may find a Maker willing to do a custom to your specs for less than you would expect!
Robert Hankins

Originally posted by the possum
Well, no, it doesn't work any better than I'd think, since I've used nearly identical blades in the past. Don't get me wrong here- there certainly are worse choices out there, but the Ronin is simply not designed as a pure thruster; it is not *optimal*. Even a similar blade shape with the simple addition of a false edge on the spine would thrust better by leaps and bounds. Also, Yes, the spine angle will drive the cutting edge down in flesh. That is naturally how it would work, however, there's nothing special about this. All that means, is you've got drag- the spine *resists* going in. And, while that may be adequate in skin & muscle, if you are unfortunate enough to hit bone, that's when it will really let you down, since bone is not really cut, but penetrated by sheer geometry.

Who said Optimal? You did, not me. The Ronin, as designed by MIke Janich, is a devastating thrusting and slashing defensive knife that is easily hidden and also has a blade length that many municipalities accept. Unless you've seen what the Ronin does, all other discussion is hypothetical and based upon your assumptions of what it might do, given your past experience.

I've witnessed a cutting test with the Ronin along with a bunch of other knives. If you saw what I did, you'd flip your wig.

good question, anyone here in the states carry that of an extensive "perrin" line ???? Please drop me a link if so rnatkin@cfl.rr.com

Some advise as well email "Robert Hankins" AKA blinker ....he just sent me alittle suprise that would fill your void perfectly, i wont go into detail as to spoil his design BUT im sure he will fill you in. I promise it will be worth the email DONT buy until you see this piece!

Originally posted by MrZ
Boink,

Now I am curious too, what kinds of tests are you talking about? Any pictures? And most of all, what other knives was Ronin compared with?

Thanks Again.

I don't remember all the knives and I have no photos. Knives were from various manufacturers. At a recent MBC class, MIke Janich brought in a huge block of meat on a wooden dowel, covered up with some denim material. He produced a variety of knives from a knife roll he brought along. Most were folders, with the occasional fixed blade. He then did slash and penetration tests with each knife. Some knives did very well. Others did not fare so well. I guess what stuck in my mind were those that devastated the meat; ones that penetrated to the hilt and, done with a comma cut action, created a blood-draining gaping maw of a wound that was unable to close of its own accord.

Boink-
Look man, the knife will do. It is adequate. I will give you that. I can see you like this knife; no harm in that. Just remember that we are still talking about a 3" blade here.
No offense, but the test you described did not cause my wig to flip at all. I would expect this knife to slash pretty well. If that test impressed you, then perhaps your own wig might spin if I mentioned what I did with my big Bowie just 30 minutes ago.

I admit that I am intruiged by the idea that this knife would perform so differently than a very similar blade. Does the name "Ronin" give it mystical powers? Please share.

Originally posted by the possum
Boink-
Look man, the knife will do. It is adequate. I will give you that. I can see you like this knife; no harm in that. Just remember that we are still talking about a 3" blade here.
No offense, but the test you described did not cause my wig to flip at all. I would expect this knife to slash pretty well. If that test impressed you, then perhaps your own wig might spin if I mentioned what I did with my big Bowie just 30 minutes ago.

I admit that I am intruiged by the idea that this knife would perform so differently than a very similar blade. Does the name "Ronin" give it mystical powers? Please share.

Checking what this thread was supposed to be about is last ditch hideout production fixed blade. You bring up your big knife because you wanted something snappy to say back to me. Your other comment will be ignored because it was not meant in earnest. You basically have made a comment about a knife you have no experience with, the comment was proven incorrect and it pisses you off.

Next.

Answering MrZ, I have no stats. I mean, here we are at a defensive knife forum, when this part of the demonstration takes place. I had no camera, and I did not see anyone else in the group break out a pad of paper and start recording what knife was used, it's make, blade shape, steel or anything like that. The idea of the demo was to show that a small folder can do heap big damage. It stood to reason that ones that indeed did more so would remain in the brain. Spydercos in general did very well. The Ronin surprised me for such a small, hideout fixed blade.

Originally posted by Boink
Checking what this thread was supposed to be about is last ditch hideout production fixed blade. You bring up your big knife because you wanted something snappy to say back to me. Your other comment will be ignored because it was not meant in earnest. You basically have made a comment about a knife you have no experience with, the comment was proven incorrect and it pisses you off.

Boink
You're right man. I should have taken a deep breath before posting. My apologies. However, for the record, I would like to point out that my comment has not been proven incorrect in the least, and I stand by my assesment until truly proven otherwise. We were just using different standards to compare it with. But again, my sincere apologies for taking things off course.

Back