Learning How to Put a Satin Finish on a Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re making this a bit more complicated than it needs to be.

Yes. The scotch brite belt is on a belt sander. 4x36 cheapo sander. They even make scotch brite wheels for a bench grinder. How long do I use them on the blade? A minute on each side maybe. I think I bought them from Supergrit (not sure tho)

Yes the mother’s mag polish is done by hand with a paper towel. How long? You just use it. I don’t know what else to say as far as how long. Apply the polish and buff it out by hand. It’s just a metal polish...it won’t round over grind lines or plunge lines if that is what you mean by blurring lines. The “fine” scotch brite belt can round over lines just a bit if too much pressure is applied.

The 800 grit is just a few swipes, each stroke with fresh unused part of the paper. This establishes a nice satin finish. Depending on how bright I want it to be I will do the metal polish after the 800 grit as well. Sometimes I just finish with the 800 grit paper.

It’s just the method I use. Vary it to your own tastes.

Wow. I have used Scotchbrite wheels for years but never knew they produced a belt. Anything I wish to put a "satin" finish on today just goes into a blast cabinet with very fine glass beads. Guns, knives, tools - whatever. Nice soft finish that is easy to touch up.

samuraistuart samuraistuart , I tried sending you a PM, but your mailbox is full. If you're interested in some work, I posted an ad here. (Unfortunately, most of us cannot see these ads. Only craftsmen and above can see them, besides the OPs of each post.)

I like to sand the blade to one or two grits higher than my final satin finish. So for a 600 grit satin finish, I'll sand to 800 or 1000.
My method:
-use new sand paper, no lubricant
-back stand paper with a piece of belt leather
I use full length strokes. Every 2-3 strokes, I use a fresh/new section of sand paper.

Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back