Leather sheath advice.

Welcome to the discussion, Chuck.

That's some nice looking leather on your site. I'm jealous of all you artistic types, you know. ;)

Some of the differences from them and the book are due to arthritis so you can see I'm looking for the easiest yet best way of doing this.

Getting old sucks, doesn't it? All I did was stand up and take a step the other day, got a shooting pain in my foot and was limping around for three days.

Thanks Paul. It's mostly just years and years of practice - talent always helps but the practice is really what makes it good.

As for old age I'm only 49 but I think my case it's like Indiana Jones said, "Honey it ain't the years, it's the mileage!"

Here is one I've just finished for a Dan Gray Bowie.
_zimg-sheath-espeseth-engravedbowie-001.jpg

Chuck

Ha, I'm 22 and already have mild arthritis in hands and knees, and carpal tunnel in one wrist. It's definitely the milage, not the years. :)

TANSTAAFL is right!
Are you by chance a fellow 'rational anarchist'?

MYCROFTXXX still lives!

Chuck

Up until I formatted it a few weeks ago, my test server at work(well, one of them), was going by the name of Mycroft. :)

Making leather sheaths looks like it would be fun.
It would be great if I could just make a few leather sheath for myself.
Nothing fancy like you guys just some good working well built sheaths.

It makes me feel good to know that there is someone on these forums that is approaching my years playing with leather! Chuck, my friend, with your 40+ years of experience coupled wth the 58 that I have pulling the "tight stitch" we are approaching the century mark. I guess that makes us "old timers" and we are a dying breed! Either that or the other old guys aren't coming out of their cocoons. I wish to make a public apology due to you when I snorted at the price of your sheaths. The information that was conveyed to me was correct as far as it went-- trouble was, it did not go far enough! When I discovered the extra embellishments and materials that were incorporated in your sheath and that a money belt was included in the pricing, I realized that not only was the pricing fair--but an exceptional value. You, sir, do damn fine work and I hope that I have the pleasure of discussing our passion someday in person. I believe I expressed these sentiments to Dan Gray to clear up the misunderstanding. May your swivel knife always be sharp! Sandy

Thanks guys. Glad to be aboard.
Sandy - no apology was necessary, but for everybody out there it just shows what a nice guy the man is. I sent him a personal regarding the post he's talking about and he could have answered back privately ( I didn't take him to task, just wanted to clarify things re: the price) but instead he made it public.
So mi amigo anytime you get out this way give a shout - I swore I'd never go east of the Rockies thirty years ago and so far have kept that promise. (Before anybody squawks I'm from back east - Mississippi - and lived all over back east, both north and south, up until I was in my teens so I know what it's like!)

Re: Pulling a tight stitch
I started this love for leather in the Cub Scouts and floundered around for years until I apprenticed with a couple of old school saddle makers. I didn't touch a real sewing project for a long time - in fact one guy used to glue up strips of leather and have me practice my sewing for hours on end until I finally got a decent stitch. Still striving for the perfect stitch 30 years later!

Anyway I hope my advice helps and unlike the old dog I can learn new tricks so I'm always willing to listen to other folks as well.

Speaking of glueing here's a tip:
I use contact cement for most projects and have always had a problem with the brush being overloaded with glue when the can was more than half full or so. Yep, I've tried all the fancy glue pots, but every one has gotten buggered up after awhile and the good ones ain't cheap. So anyway one day a few years back I was throwing away an empty quart glue can when a flash of something hit me ( I don't think it was brilliance but wouldn't have recognized even if it was). I took the empty can and swished some thinner around until I got most of the old glue cleaned out and then filled that can about halfway with thinner. Since the glue can caps come with a brush on them,I now had one can with thinner that kept my brush clean and another can full of fresh glue. To use: take the brush out of the thinner can, wipe it off on a handy rag ( I use up an old folded up handtowel), and then dip just the brush hairs into the glue. Voila no more excess glue and no more drips when least expected! By the way I just clip the brush off the new glue can cap so it doesn't make a mess, if your brush starts getting worn out keep the new one and clip off the old for closing up your glue can. Second advantage to this method is when the thinner starts getting a bit thick with glue just shake it up and use it to thin out the can of glue. Anyway if you have that same problem here's a solution.
Got to get back to the bench - works piling up
Chuck

Chuck
thanks for posting My Bowie with your Sheath
I just now seen the post, I've been distracted for the last few weeks here,
I have the hole package here now and ready to ship to Jim Weyer
for photos I'll get you a copy
this was engraved by Gary Adams very nice work, as is your sheath.
Pete will be very happy with this one..I'll see if I can get some better pictures posted of the set.

Back