Leather Sheaths in Progress!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
The leather is in and Sara has gotten started! The leather we got this time is super heavy duty, you guys ae going to like it!

These are for the Damascus batch. :cool:

Cool!
Can Sara do a WIP as well?

She is taking the pics and we'll do our best to keep you guys up to date. :D

Is that a Fairly utility knife? :)
lol that was just placed there as a prop, we really used a DFK Wakizashi

I need to make another leather knife, I did but we decided to keep it in the kitchen. We need a .062" Kiridashi...

These are getting closer, welts are cut!

Thanks!

These are awesome, we will likely keep this style in the future as it is very versatile. They are vertical or horizontal carry!

I told my wife I didn't want a "western" style sheath, we are going for a clean modern look that is pocket or belt friendly.

Those look great!
And a modern, pocket friendly style is the way to go!

Lots of finishing work has been done and they are just signed! Sara got a great stamp impression on all of these.

The first of several stages of dye work

That is so cool! :D
As a bonus we get a tutorial in leather sheath making! :thumbup:

That is so cool! :D
As a bonus we get a tutorial in leather sheath making! :thumbup:

Thanks!

There is a bit more to it that I show, most of the work is in filing and sanding. They are just like knives, the main steps are only 20% of the work, "the devil is in the details." :D

Yesterday we tracked down some more glue, the glue itself is stronger than the leather... the doubled stitching is just for backup. We used to use the standard Barge Cement but it is not as strong.

I'll be doing Kydex today and Sara the leather... sheath time here! :cool:

Glueup - the hammer and leather scraps are for hammering the pieces together, the process makes for a stronger bond.

Outsides are filed then sanded flush... beveled and dyed.

A groove is cut for the stitching recess, holes are marked, drilled and dyed.

Your Kydex work is so good you don't need leather to be pimpin'! :D

We just checked and have enough leather for one if you want, Sara is making two more.

Double stitched, dyed and wet formed! Once they are dry they will be soaked in neatsfoot oil for a durable soft and protective finish.

Back