Leather Sheaths in Progress!

Really? That'd be too awesome!

Kydex sucks for anything you don't want getting riddled with wear marks. My workin' knives are ok like that. By my pimpin' knives can't be lookin' all tore up from the floor up, knowhutimsayn?

So would I send you my 'dashi, or would I just want to wet mold and oil it myself? I still have some stuff I've been meaning to send you, so...

Really? That'd be too awesome!

Kydex sucks for anything you don't want getting riddled with wear marks. My workin' knives are ok like that. By my pimpin' knives can't be lookin' all tore up from the floor up, knowhutimsayn?

So would I send you my 'dashi, or would I just want to wet mold and oil it myself? I still have some stuff I've been meaning to send you, so...

I just asked, send it in! I'll change the oil on it and balance/rotate the lanyard hole.

There is another step in there of dyeing I didn't know about after the wet forming... plus it will be custom that way. :D

Cool, now all the damascus will have leather! If I combine all of them clad in leather I might get some cool "power of greyskull" thing kicking too... :D

Double stitched, dyed and wet formed! Once they are dry they will be soaked in neatsfoot oil for a durable soft and protective finish.

These look much better than the last batch! Nice straight stiching and the sheaths look symmetrical... Pictures of the backs? Still looking for a nice slim and flat clip for a leather sheath to clip into pocket... Keep up the good work!

That is the back of the stitching, they were sewn from the back! They are as clean as can be...

I'm starting to thing the Squatchmistress is the engine behind this operation!

Those things might even be cooler than the one that hooked me on the DFKs in the first place!

Looking great. Special shout out to Sarah. Thanks!!!
:D She says thanks!

I'm starting to thing the Squatchmistress is the engine behind this operation!

Those things might even be cooler than the one that hooked me on the DFKs in the first place!

Once I let her use the grinder you guys won't even want my gear... :D

They work for standard or scout/horizontal carry. We're thinking we may use this pattern in a few sizes so we can have leather in stock and ready to wet form.

Just realized that in a shop likely full of knives, there's a safety blade cutting the leather. Watttt

Things look fantastic dude. From the pictures you posted recently of the final product I can say that you did an outstanding job!

Thanks! ...yes someone does not want to use the strop. :D (my wife Sara does the leatherwork) I'm going to make another dedicated leather knife though, my first one is now used as a paring knife.

That's funny. My old paring knife is now a leather knife and my Fairly EDC is pulling KP!

That is cool you are rocking the EDC in the kitchen!

I have to make some Chef's knives. All sorts of kitchen knives... BBQ/boning Knife too.

That is cool you are rocking the EDC in the kitchen!

I have to make some Chef's knives. All sorts of kitchen knives... BBQ/boning Knife too.

Yeah, a real thin slicer would be great. I want to be able to read the newspaper through my onion slices.

Reminds me, I stumbled upon an interesting thread in the traditional knives forum about a week ago where they were talking about the knives used by Kosher butchers and the physical proportions the knives used to slaughter the animals must adhere to. Basically very long, very thin, and continually checked for defects along the edge so the animal does not suffer. The ultimate slicer. Hopefully no vegetarians in the ranks...

A nice and thin slicer would be good.
My better half already has been complaining about her favourite knife starting to fall apart (rubber handle CS)... but to be fair she's been using the knife almost exclusively for the last 5-6 years.

Yeah, a real thin slicer would be great. I want to be able to read the newspaper through my onion slices.

Reminds me, I stumbled upon an interesting thread in the traditional knives forum about a week ago where they were talking about the knives used by Kosher butchers and the physical proportions the knives used to slaughter the animals must adhere to. Basically very long, very thin, and continually checked for defects along the edge so the animal does not suffer. The ultimate slicer. Hopefully no vegetarians in the ranks...

Sounds good! We need kitchen knives.

I read that too, it makes sense to have a dedicated knife.

two words. throwing star. :D

:D I keep hearing that, you never know!

WTF???? When did you do a Wakizashi? Don''t remember that one being in production. did I miss that, was it a one-off? Got Waki pics?

I have one in progress, only 18" so technically a tanto or waki! More pics soon, I posted one in the pic thread but it doesn't really show any detail. I think I have tried 6 Wakizashis and this is the first to make it. :D

A nice and thin slicer would be good.
My better half already has been complaining about her favourite knife starting to fall apart (rubber handle CS)... but to be fair she's been using the knife almost exclusively for the last 5-6 years.

Sounds good on more kitchen knives!

Back