Leatherman 2019 SHOT

I am intrigued by the K series -- especially what looks mildly like an axis lock. It seems like it was designed to be a knife first and then the essential tools were added. I love my Wave but don't carry it everyday. I will be interested to get one of these in my hand to see if the size/weight make it a realistic EDC for when you mostly want a knife, but having screwdrivers and such on hand is also useful.

Are they really killing the Crater? It’s the most useful MT I’ve ever come across. Everything you actually need and nothing you don’t.

I may have spoken out of turn. Its speculation on my part. The new knives not only seem to hit a similar price point but seem to fill the same role as the Crater. Budget friendly knife-first pocket tools. Looking at Leatherman's site I see the Crater knives with those weird ending prices like ".97" which usually indicates a clearance price.

But maybe they are just scaling back to make room for the new stuff. Like I said, pure and unfounded speculation on my part. My apologies.

I'm kinda glad Leatherman is trying something new. It's one of the reasons I dont mind being an early adopter and buying another one if they upgrade the steel on the blades. They aren't going to break the bank at the price point they are shooting for.

Literally every single person in here or youtube says that the knives in multitools are rarely used, and when they see the steel they cry that it’s not premium. And if the steel was premium, it would be too pricy.

Depends on who you are and what you do. lighting and sound techs live and die by multi-tools, and few I ever really worried about the blade steel, some guys got their sharpened at the mall, some of us nerds did it ourselves. It takes all kinds, but tape and tie-line don't take much. Same ratio as the rest of the world, a few of us carried more than one tool, many carried as cheap as they could get away with. I think that there is certainly a point where the tool is greater than the components, and complaining past that sort of defies the understanding of compromise. As my dad says "if you need the tool, get the tool, if you need the job done, get the leatherman" or many such aphorisms to that idea. Asking a multitool to be the perfect knife is the antithesis of its purpose. I dunno, as the movie says "Then there is no pleasing you".

Last edited:
You can buy replacement blades for 20-30 bucks, often of better metal like S30V or 154CM. To me, the knife on a Leatherman is just like any of the other tools on it -- it is a convenience and not the best tool for the job. If your job was tightening and loosening screws, you would use a dedicated tool. Likewise with the pliers, if I had to use them all day, I wouldn't want the bulk of a LM. Knife is the same. It works just fine, but if you really need a knife on a regular basis, you are going to be carrying something else. Multi-tools do a lot of things decently and give you access to tools you may not otherwise carry, but they are always a compromise.

Personally I am cool with a softer steel that I can run through a pull through a couple times and be back up and running no problem.

I'm one of those guys who rarely uses the blades on my multi-tools, but I still want better blade steel, I'll pay for better blade steel. It adds to the 'cool factor' and makes it more interesting to me. If they made a zdp-189 bladed (both blades) version of the ST300 for under $200 I'd buy one today.

I'll buy one of their new magnetic multi-tools when they come out just to try them out, but I don't think it will replace my charge. I use a multi-tool a lot for work (remodeling houses) even when I have a tool belt on so it will definitely be torture tested.

I almost always have a dedicated knife on me so my MT knife is a backup. I'm totally fine with 420hc blade on a MT.

LM might get a few $ from me this year.

I almost always have a dedicated knife on me so my MT knife is a backup. I'm totally fine with 420hc blade on a MT.

LM might get a few $ from me this year.

I don't mind 420HC either on a Leatherman...very tempted to get one of those Free multi-tools.What worries me though is the Leatherman rep keeps saying '420 Steel' and not '420HC' when referring to every blade.I hope that's not a sign they're switching to 420J2 now...

I may have spoken out of turn. Its speculation on my part. The new knives not only seem to hit a similar price point but seem to fill the same role as the Crater. Budget friendly knife-first pocket tools. Looking at Leatherman's site I see the Crater knives with those weird ending prices like ".97" which usually indicates a clearance price.

But maybe they are just scaling back to make room for the new stuff. Like I said, pure and unfounded speculation on my part. My apologies.

I'm kinda glad Leatherman is trying something new. It's one of the reasons I dont mind being an early adopter and buying another one if they upgrade the steel on the blades. They aren't going to break the bank at the price point they are shooting for.
I agree with you. Looks like the new series is gonna kick the crater to the curb. Will have to try it out at some point.

I don't mind 420HC either on a Leatherman...very tempted to get one of those Free multi-tools.What worries me though is the Leatherman rep keeps saying '420 Steel' and not '420HC' when referring to every blade.I hope that's not a sign they're switching to 420J2 now...
Probably not, they know that most of their market isn't too worried about it, and they have their HT and supply chain pretty locked. So its probably due to simplicity of communication rather than a change.

I use the mt blade far more often than the dedicated folder in my other pocket

I will say that if this new tool proves to be durable and truly one handed, I would pony up the extra scratch to go with an upgraded steel on the blade of the smaller tool IF they kill the combo blade. Make it a straight edge and I'll pay a bit more for a steel that will allow me to leave the dedicated knife at home.

I will say that if this new tool proves to be durable and truly one handed, I would pony up the extra scratch to go with an upgraded steel on the blade of the smaller tool IF they kill the combo blade. Make it a straight edge and I'll pay a bit more for a steel that will allow me to leave the dedicated knife at home.

I have to agree with you. The new mt looks very pocketable and easy to deploy. There still isn't a multitool that would be quite as nimble to leave out the pocket knife, but that would be ideal for me.

Do you use your MT every day at work?

If I did, I could see how the MT knife blade would get a lot of use and I can also see how having a knife blade on the outside (like the Wave) would make so much sense. This is why my Wave is in my shop, in fact.

I don't use an MT for work, so for me, my MT is more of a tool back up. I carry a Blast in my EDC pack and converted the blade to an awl. Zero regrets on that move.

Usage really determines design and usage can be very different. Interesting discussion.

Do you use your MT every day at work?

If I did, I could see how the MT knife blade would get a lot of use and I can also see how having a knife blade on the outside (like the Wave) would make so much sense. This is why my Wave is in my shop, in fact.

I don't use an MT for work, so for me, my MT is more of a tool back up. I carry a Blast in my EDC pack and converted the blade to an awl. Zero regrets on that move.

Usage really determines design and usage can be very different. Interesting discussion.

I work in an office most days so no need for a blade there. I just find when I do use a knife I'd rather use up the edge on the mt vs the dedicated folder in my other pocket. It also seems to be less scary to other folks vs when I thwack out my microtech combat troodon.

I've had a Wave, a Charge, or a Surge on my belt every day for years. I'm intrigued by the P4, but I haven't had any problems opening most of my tools one-handed (with the aid of my pant leg!), so I'm not sure how important the magnets will be for me. I rely heavily on the bit holder with bit kit and extension, which doesn't seem to be present with the P2 and P4; I'd miss that too much to switch. Regarding the blade steel, I don't ever seem to notice whether I'm enjoying the upgraded steel of the Charge or just getting by with the 420 of my Wave and my Surge. Makes no difference to me. I will still approach the new offerings with an open mind and, even if I don't switch my EDC tool, I'll certainly add one or two of the new ones to my collection. T-A

The new lineup looks very nice. I will probably end up getting a couple of the new designs.

I've been more than happy with the waves I have as well as the ST300 and others - the Wave being the most often carried and used.

I have no problem with the 420 (whatever) as I almost always have a dedicated knife with a better steel on me as well.

All that being said, the P4 seems interesting and even though I don't need it. as an admitted LM-aholic, I'll probably wind up with one.

Back