Lefty thread

I received my ESEE 5 in a trade with the sheath leftified. Works great as I usually carry my folder on the right (growing up in a right hand world).

Last edited:
I's hard to find a Fixed Blade with an Ambidextrous sheath from most Makers. I like a sheath that a knife will go in without needing turned in a particular way especially when under stress / just busy. Right handed sheaths ONLY, bad idea...., not to mention the expense and time and trouble to have one made.

MAKE ALL FIXED BLADE KNIFE SHEATHS AMBIDEXTROUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I's hard to find a Fixed Blade with an Ambidextrous sheath from most Makers. I like a sheath that a knife will go in without needing turned in a particular way especially when under stress / just busy. Right handed sheaths ONLY, bad idea...., not to mention the expense and time and trouble to have one made.

MAKE ALL FIXED BLADE KNIFE SHEATHS AMBIDEXTROUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three cheers for research! Measure twice, cut once.

Re two of your points:
The ONLY thing I have to do righty is use scissors because that's how they make'em.

For guns its different because they make very few with left side ejection port. Mostly the classic best-sellers (for long-guns). And with handguns I just have to go with ambi controls.
Try these: Fiskars 8 Inch All-purpose Left-handed Scissors

Firearms:
* I find revolvers and speed loaders faster and easier for me than any righty I know. And single-action Colts seem like they were made for us, if you're into that sort of thing.
* Semiautos are easy enough to handle without modification after just a bit of practice, tho on 1911s and such an ambi safety may be necessary.
* For bolt action rifles, I only find the need for a left-hand action in offhand shooting. Right-handed bolts are actually more convenient for bench shooting as a lefty, because I can look right at the chamber.
* Shotguns with downward ejection like an Ithaca 37 float many lefties' boats, but many are happy with just a top tang safety and that's it.
* For the military-minded, with just a few replacement parts an AR is lefty enough for me, but FYI a Tavor can be completely converted to left-hand and that is very very cool.

Three cheers for research! Measure twice, cut once.

Re two of your points:

Try these: Fiskars 8 Inch All-purpose Left-handed Scissors

Firearms:
* I find revolvers and speed loaders faster and easier for me than any righty I know. And single-action Colts seem like they were made for us, if you're into that sort of thing.
* Semiautos are easy enough to handle without modification after just a bit of practice, tho on 1911s and such an ambi safety may be necessary.
* For bolt action rifles, I only find the need for a left-hand action in offhand shooting. Right-handed bolts are actually more convenient for bench shooting as a lefty, because I can look right at the chamber.
* Shotguns with downward ejection like an Ithaca 37 float many lefties' boats, but many are happy with just a top tang safety and that's it.
* For the military-minded, with just a few replacement parts an AR is lefty enough for me, but FYI a Tavor can be completely converted to left-hand and that is very very cool.

Thanks for the info! I have gotten good at righty scissors and I actually think lefty scissors wouldn't feel right after all of these years. I am sitting here alone mimicking scissors action with my left hand (if people could only see me they would think I am crazy). As far as the guns, I agree that the Tavor is definitely sweet. I was about to pull the trigger on a Stag Arms or Rock River lefty AR but just haven't done it yet. When I do, I will get one sized perfect for a bayonet so I will fulfill my knife and gun fix in one swoop.

FYI impact guns has a lefty link. http://www.impactguns.com/left-hand-guns.aspx

The BM axis lock makes their knives good for lefties, even if if you don't have the tool to move the clip.
Spydie holes and back locks make Spyderco generally lefty friendly, save a few models like the Techno where the frame lock blocks the hole for left handed opening.
Esee fixed blades make their sheaths compatible for left and right handed carry
Frame locks and liner locks aren't an issue for me, as long as I can open them left handed.

I basically have adopted to using right handed knives. Sometimes its weird for me to use a left handed knife , even though it was design "for me"

CRK..

slip joints

I have only one right handed knife, a Military in CPM-D2 steel, love the knife but it lies in its box. The rest are Spydercos, Benchmades, ZT's a few Lionsteel all switched to left side clip and traditionals. Then I got a lefty small Sebenza and now I have 4 LH CRK and they don't leave my pockets.
I had surgeries and learned to use my right arm for some things but definitely a dedicated left handed and having the experience of handling a sinister folder, has been a revelation.

Being a lefty I’ve adapted well to the right hand world except with knives. I’ve tried to manipulate knives with my right hand only to have an extremely high level of failure.

For my left handed needs I must be able to carry the knife on my left side. If the clip only facilitates right carry, I may drool over the knife and have some heart palpitations but ultimately pass on purchase.

As far as the lock mechanism goes I’ve done well and have nearly no problems. I have the left hand Spyderco Military with liner lock but I don’t often carry it. When I do, sometimes I’ll get confused initially in closing it because I’m so used to right handed liner locks. I find the BM axis lock my favorite.

I'm predominantly a lefty but when it comes to knives I've always used right handed ones. Now when I try to use my left hand to open a knife it just feels weird. I find myself sometimes opening the knife with my right hand then switching it to my left one to do cutting tasks haha

If the maker does not make it so I can carry it properly on the left side I won't buy it.
I learned this lesson the hard way. I wanted a nice compact sub 3" folder and absolutely fell in love with the Curtiss Nano. The wife bought it for me as a birthday present and I loved everything about it. Great ergos blade shape etc. One problem. The scale is milled to fit the clip RHC only. I tried carrying it around the house with it backwards in my left pocket. I just couldn't get comfortable drawing it that way. I actually got in contact with Dave Curtiss (great guy BTW) and he stated that He couldn't change the settings on his machines to mill out for LHC. So as much as I loved the little bugger, I wrapped it backup in its tin and sent it back. I wound up putting in a custom order for a LH Sardeen from Pohan Leu. It's a little over double the cost of the Nano and I have to wait about a year for it. The way I look at it is this. If I have to get a full custom, then that just means I buy less knives. YMMV but it's worth it for my piece of mind. That and I feel I haven't made any compromises.

I'm a lefty, I can adapt to any knife. I did buy a left handed CRK simply because I like CRK and having a lefty was cool.

Generally however, I buy whatever I like and don't worry about it. Opening / closing a knife with two hands isn't a deal breaker for me.

I also have big hands and can open most right handed knives with my left hand with a little practice.

The BM axis lock makes their knives good for lefties, even if if you don't have the tool to move the clip.
Spydie holes and back locks make Spyderco generally lefty friendly, save a few models like the Techno where the frame lock blocks the hole for left handed opening.
Frame locks and liner locks aren't an issue for me, as long as I can open them left handed.

I basically have adopted to using right handed knives. Sometimes its weird for me to use a left handed knife , even though it was design "for me"

Just a comment on the Techno, I own one and I feel it's better suited for lefties. The Spydie flick is only do-able left handed,(that's the best part!). And pinching the blade then using the thumb to fully open works well and feels quite natural too. And as I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I feel the standard frame lock configuration is best suited for lefties too.

Just a comment on the Techno, I own one and I feel it's better suited for lefties. The Spydie flick is only do-able left handed,(that's the best part!). And pinching the blade then using the thumb to fully open works well and feels quite natural too. And as I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I feel the standard frame lock configuration is best suited for lefties too.

Just been carrying my Farid K-2, great left handed. Sticky lock right-handed works perfect left. Carries better left too although slower to deploy as you have to turn it around or twist hand a bit awkwardly to pull it out. Spydie flick is nice.

Solid lefty here, forced into ambidextrous for certain things.

Left handed tasks: writing, golf, baseball bat, fork/spoon.
Right handed tasks: scissors (agreed, it would feel weird to use in left hand at this point), computer mouse (nobody mentioned that yet), shaving (no idea on earth as to why)

For the most part I've had right handed knives. I own the Spyderco Manix2 and some PM2's. I'm carrying a sprint run double bevel C174G right now and still need to move the clip so I have it in my right back pocket now and so actually just use it right handed to upon a box. I actually pull it out with my right hand and keep it there for light duty. It's solidy a right handed liner lock though.

It feels somewhat natural because that's how I would cut food when holding a fork. I remember many Thanksgivings ago I was about to carve the turkey and I was completely having a "blonde" moment trying to remember which hand I was going to hold the carving knife in. I picked it up left handed and then the fork in my right hand and that felt completely wrong. I switched and that felt weird because I was then holding a large carving knife in my right hand. I went back again and decided that wasn't going to work. I carved the turkey fork in left hand, knife in right. Luckily nobody was paying attention to me as I was in the kitchen at the time. Anyone else ever have a moment like that for anything? As I mentioned I use a mouse right handed but am solidly left handed for writing. Ever try signing your name on screen with a mouse using the wrong hand? LOL! Yes, I now have a Wacom tablet....

I'm seeking out a CRK small Sebenza with micarta in a lefty but never having even held a Sebenza. I need to put my hands on one first given the price before I pull the rip cord on the money bag and let the bills flow.

I acquired the Hindrerer XM-18 3.5" Spanto and after carrying around the house a couple times decided it just was too much a right handed knife to use given the investment. Stunning knife though, I loved it.

For EDC I think I will like having a lefty on my left side for tasks, probably in my back left pocket alongside my small wallet. But I'm also CCW and intend to start carrying consistently in my front left pocket. I haven't taken well to IWB carry, it's just uncomfortable though admittedly it's with a Glock 26 Gen 4 and thick as can be. I bring that up because if I carry tactical, I'd want the gun on the left and the knife on the right. No I'm not expecting a zombie Apocalypse but I did draw once (S&W 340PD .357 magnum) to save my wife and I from a car jacking, so it got me thinking a little more about a backup plan.

As lefties I think we are definitely a little more aware of the differences between knives. I bet many of us own a majority of right handed knives though. As I consider my collection, that's definitely the case.

Perhaps with a lefty Sebenza I'll be able to "thin the herd". I have 2 NIB PM2's I may fund that CRK with in fact. They're a little big for EDC so I've never carried.....great knife though.

Last edited:
Good summary 'Merican, and yes I've had my moments with the turkey carving too. You really do need to handle a Sebenza, even if it's a right-handed example, before you spend that kind of money. It may have a different feel from the folders you use now. If you do decide to go with a small or large Sebenza , I highly recommend the "Star-benza" versions or other CRK models they make for Wilson Combat. The left- and right-hand models have ambi thumb studs, and they're the same color as the blade. (My lefty Sebenza has a blue thumb stud, only on the left side.) All of the above have left-hand framelocks, of course, and they are very high quality knives. http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Reeve_Wilson/products/481/

We lefties seem to be a very adaptive group, that's for sure. I use mostly righty knives, and didn't really know the difference until I got a truly left-handed knife.

Southpaw-knives.com. Ira makes some really nice custom knives, at decent prices.

Since shooting was brought up, I love my Remington 870s in left-handed configurations. The internet makes finding them much, much easier.

Gave my southpaw sister a Mini Grip a couple of years back because of the Axis lock. I'm right-handed, but I carry a Mini Grip on my right side and a Rat II on my left. I have no problems opening or closing the Rat with just my left hand. All I did was switch the clip to the other side of the knife.

Thanks LeftHanfd-Fu for the heads up. I've got some time for sure to handle a Seb. They quoted me 7 months. Ugh. In the meantime I'm growing to really like a right handed Spyderco I'm carrying. Perfect size.

Back